GM eliminating Apple CarPlay in future EV’s

I just read where over 50% of the cell phones sold in the USA are now made by Apple.
One of the reasons Apple is doing so well is that their phones now have a very long useful life. Apple is also very good at monetizing the older phones via subscription services like Apple Music.

So GM is going risk losing over 50% of the American new car market? Does this make sense? I wonder if anybody has managed to calculate the risk/reward ratio for this decision? I would be interested in how they made the decision.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/02/iphone-us-market-share/
The iPhone US market share hit an all-time high last quarter, giving it more than 50% of the total US market for the first time ever, according to a new market intelligence report.
Apple also dominates global premium smartphone sales, accounting for 78% of the $1,000+ segment worldwide …
https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-iphone-smartphone-market-dominant-android-7914e6b0?page=1

The iPhone’s staying power is linked in no small part to Apple supporting software upgrades for devices that came out as early as 2017. As a result, these phones have a considerable afterlife, cycling through second and even third owners before being cast aside.
And with network carriers offering discounts on new phones when people trade in an old one, another parallel with the auto market, there are ample devices available for bargain hunters.

The impact of this is huge, and making a big winner out of Apple. It now seems likely that the overwhelming majority of smartphones in use in the U.S. will eventually be iPhones—the result of a steady climb in its share of the U.S. market.

Last edited:
I just read where over 50% of the cell phones sold in the USA are now made by Apple.
One of the reasons Apple is doing so well is that their phones now have a very long useful life. Apple is also very good at monetizing the older phones via subscription services like Apple Music.

So GM is going risk losing over 50% of the American new car market? Does this make sense? I wonder if anybody has managed to calculate the risk/reward ratio for this decision? I would be interested in how they made the decision.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/02/iphone-us-market-share/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-iphone-smartphone-market-dominant-android-7914e6b0?page=1

Just because someone owns and IPhone doesn’t mean the lack of CarPlay will alienate them.
I love my IPhone. I hate CarPlay. Seems to be a lazy way out, and in my experience, CarPlay is a poor substitute. The built-in NAV and music are better (2022 MINI Cooper SE).

Not to say this is the case for all, just that IPhone ownership does not automatically translate to CarPlay lover.

Just got my new car (Mazda CX-50). It has Apple CarPlay and I LOVE it. Of course, I am coming from a 2012 basic Altima with no nav, no Blue Tooth, etc.

The nav system in DW's 2020 Lexus is terrible compared to this. Of course it helps that I can program the phone before getting in the car.

One thing I DO like about DW's nav, is showing coming exits, with services. Maybe Apple can do this. I have not looked into it.

Apple CarPlay is really handy and I always worked hard to get a rental that had it.

Having said that the Tesla navigation is top notch, so I don’t miss CarPlay too much. Apple Maps doesn’t handle navigation that includes chargers yet.

Here's why GM is dropping Apple CarPlay

General Motors says it's doing the right thing for its business by driving away from the popular Apple (AAPL) CarPlay infotainment experience.

"There are many manufacturers today that don't have CarPlay," GM CFO Paul Jacobson said on Yahoo Finance Live (video above). "But I think we recognize that the burden's on us. If we're going to take that feature out of our vehicles, we need to respond with a program and a customer package that is equally as compelling, if not more compelling. We think with the partnership we have with Google and ultimately with the vehicle data we have, we can create an experience that customers are going to love."

In place of CarPlay, GM will stand up a new built-in infotainment system developed with Google (GOOG, GOOGL) for its future line of EVs.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-why-gm-is-dropping-apple-carplay-164546895.html

Last edited:
Fixed it:

In place of CarPlay, GM will stand up a new built-in infotainment system developed with Google (GOOG, GOOGL) for its future line of EVs that they will charge you a subscription to use..

I'm sure it will be up to highest standard GM has been known for the last 60 years :LOL:

Google probably offer it to GM for free and they'll split the subscription revenue. My philosophy for cars is NO paid subscriptions. However I'm willing to pay once for a lifetime subscription if they offer it to me when I buy the car.

Fixed it:

In place of CarPlay, GM will stand up a new built-in infotainment system developed with Google (GOOG, GOOGL) for its future line of EVs that they will charge you a subscription to use..

Please don't go editing actual news articles. I believe there is no subscription for the first 4 or 5 years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(PS, I'm no fan of GM.)

I don't know if this got missed in the earlier posts, I was not aware of it:

The auto giant said in late March it would phase out Apple CarPlay and Android Auto,

So it's both, not just Apple Car Play - replaced by a new Google system. So it would seem easy for Android to expect similar support as Android Auto provides now, but I wonder if Google can access everything in the iOS arena - I assume Apple has access to stuff outside developers don't?

-ERD50

Either Apple wants too much for CarPlay licensing or Google is willing to offer it for much less, free or maybe even pay to be exclusive on GM EVs.

They may share the customer data collected by this system or Google is willing to pay for it.

General Motors says it's doing the right thing for its business by driving away from the popular Apple (AAPL) CarPlay infotainment experience.

While Ford feels just the opposite:
Ford CEO Jim Farley said that Ford has no plans to drop support for CarPlay due to its popularity with Ford customers.
"70 percent of our Ford customers in the U.S. are Apple customers. Why would I go to an Apple customer and say good luck?" he said.
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/05/03/ford-carplay-support-to-continue/

Apple customers tend to be more affluent and more willing to spend.

FOr instance look at their spending in the App Store per capita relative to Android users spending per capita in the Google Play store.

You'd think GM would carve out this decision for at least Cadillac at least.

Fixed it:

Please don't go editing actual news articles. I believe there is no subscription for the first 4 or 5 years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(PS, I'm no fan of GM.)

Maybe I did not present it in the best way, but I started my comment by saying "Fixed it" and bolded the comment I added. I did not in any way intend to present the statement as if that was the way the article was written.

Back
Top Bottom