Goodbye Sears?

It's sad, but it's not like they couldn't see this coming for many years. They didn't try to adapt that I could see. We consumers brought on their demise looking for better values and/or service, so "we" shouldn't be surprised either.

Other than DieHard batteries, Craftsman tools and the odd Kenmore appliance, we never shopped much at Sears, and zero now that those products are mostly gone. When a company sells off some of it's most respected brands (e.g. Craftsman), it's pretty clear the end is in sight. Selling off assets to finance what's left is sort of like watering your weeds and pulling your flowers out...

Our local mall, which we stopped going to years ago, has already lost an anchor store and if they lose Sears, that'll be two of four. Wonder how long the mall will be able to forestall the inevitable? :whistle:

Last edited:
I think Craftsman brand items can now be found in Lowes. Not 100% as I seldom go to Lowes, but saw a Lowes commercial about this. I supposed Craftsman tools to Lowes is like Ryobi tools to Home Depot.

Back in the day, before everything could be pulled up on screen by a mouse click or phone swipe, I used to sit down and flip through a Sears or Radio Shack catalog to see what cool stuff was there that I'd try and save up for. Now I feel old :(.

Early memories of Sears as a kid.

-Our Sears had a candy and nuts concession - the smell of the baking nuts.
-Parts department - my dad would by replacement parts for a washer, stove, tv etc.
-Apparently, managers and employees were signaled by a series of bells/beeps that were coded.
-My friend worked selling Sears chain link fences and garden tools.

At one point, Sears sold cars....a small Henry J (Kaiser) with almost no options. One option was an opening trunk lid! :D

Back in 1969, I had an old GMC pickup a that needed an engine. I ordered a short block from Sears and rebuilt the head at an engine repair shop.

I think Craftsman brand items can now be found in Lowes. Not 100% as I seldom go to Lowes, but saw a Lowes commercial about this. I supposed Craftsman tools to Lowes is like Ryobi tools to Home Depot.
Yep.

Check out Lowes if you haven't been there recently. The tool section is now completely red. No more blue. All Craftsman. They pretty much nuked Kobalt in preference to Craftsman.

But it is name only. Much like "Bell + Howell" is a name these days.

I liked the Kobalt stuff. The Craftsman stuff at Lowes doesn't appear to me to be up to par for either Kobalt or the old Sears Craftsman.

It's sad, but it's not like they couldn't see this coming for many years. They didn't try to adapt that I could see. We consumers brought on their demise looking for better values and/or service, so "we" shouldn't be surprised either.

Other than DieHard batteries, Craftsman tools and the odd Kenmore appliance, we never shopped much at Sears, and zero now that those products are mostly gone. When a company sells off some of it's most respected brands (e.g. Craftsman), it's pretty clear the end is in sight. Selling off assets to finance what's left is sort of like watering your weeds and pulling your flowers out...

Our local mall, which we stopped going to years ago, has already lost an anchor store and if they lose Sears, that'll be two of four. Wonder how long the mall will be able to forestall the inevitable? :whistle:

If it is like one that is near me Macy's will take it over and expand.... they have mens and furniture at one location and the rest of the stuff in another... the Sears happens to be at the exact opposite end of the mall so not much will happen when it goes...

You are right... Sears created this themselves... in a way same as JC Penney... I used to shop at Sears but very rarely now... and I used to buy almost all my clothes at JC Penny but also not anymore... still go to JC Penney about once a year to see what is there an usually buy something... just not a regular place...

.... We consumers brought on their demise looking for better values and/or service, so "we" shouldn't be surprised either.
That strikes me as a very odd view of it.

We brought on their demise, because we were looking for better values and/or service? Well, shouldn't that be expected from consumers?

Isn't it more meaningful to say "Sears brought on their demise, because they did not provide better values and/or service?"

It would be stupid to support one business if their competitors offered something better. I have no idea what you are trying to say, this makes no sense to me. :confused:

Of course, we could ditch the free market, and go for this:

-ERD50

I do think Sears started cutting corners on quality, and that's what started the ball rolling downhill. There was a big blowup when they changed their battery vendor to Exide and the resulting drop in reliability led to legal action and some very bad press. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2001-12-28-0112280360-story.html

And I doubt anyone will dispute that Craftsman hand tools are a far cry from their antecedents. I recently inherited several Craftsman toolkits from 30+ years ago. The superior quality of the old stuff is obvious, especially the ratchet wrenches. They could guarantee that stuff for life with no reservations, it's so rugged.

I worked for Sears through college. I remember the little 'bells' that wrung in the store summoning the various upper management folks. I also remember the code to get store security to a department fast if immediate help was needed. It was something like "Mr. Percival to the shoe department".

I do think Sears started cutting corners on quality, and that's what started the ball rolling downhill. There was a big blowup when they changed their battery vendor to Exide and the resulting drop in reliability led to legal action and some very bad press. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2001-12-28-0112280360-story.html

And I doubt anyone will dispute that Craftsman hand tools are a far cry from their antecedents. I recently inherited several Craftsman toolkits from 30+ years ago. The superior quality of the old stuff is obvious, especially the ratchet wrenches. They could guarantee that stuff for life with no reservations, it's so rugged.

Yeah its funny for me that the turning point was the demise of Diehard. The Craftsman tools degraded prior to the batteries but certainly started the trend. Basically lowlife beancounters draining what was left. No imagination there.

However it was evident to any astute observer.

Back in the day you seldom used a breaker bar; their ratchets would do just as well and if you put a 6' pipe on the end and manged to break it, no problem.

Yeah its funny for me that the turning point was the demise of Diehard. The Craftsman tools degraded prior to the batteries but certainly started the trend. Basically lowlife beancounters draining what was left. No imagination there.

However it was evident to any astute observer.

I remember buying Sears brand tires in the '70s They were rebranded Michelins. They were top quality for a mainstream price. If Sears had stuck with that business plan, delivering premium quality at a below-premium price, I think they'd be in clover today. That's a big part of the success of Costco.

Of course, we could ditch the free market, and go for this:
-ERD50

I'd love to find a Trabby for sale nearby, although I suspect they would not be street legal in their original form.

I do have an owner's manual and several EG license plates to dress it up.;)

_B

I'd love to find a Trabby for sale nearby, although I suspect they would not be street legal in their original form.

I do have an owner's manual and several EG license plates to dress it up.;)

_B

My grand dad worked in the paint department in Sears back in the 60’s & 70’s. He worked on his farm in his spare time. Sorry to see them go but it was inevitable.

Funny you should mention this! By coincidence, I'm going through my dad's old tools today. I found a whole set of Craftsmen ratchets. Really good stuff. Dad loved their hand tools, although when it came to the serious plumbing stuff, it was Ridgid and nothing else.

Besides quality issues, I think their failure to accept credit cards other than Sears helped their demise. They bought Discover to help solve that issue, but the damage was done. People would just go elsewhere if they couldn't use their Visa. It took until the mid 90's for them to accept other cards!

Back in the day you seldom used a breaker bar; their ratchets would do just as well and if you put a 6' pipe on the end and manged to break it, no problem.

Heck we even used 3/4 to 1/2 adapters with a ratchet, with a pipe, to change paver extensions on an old Blaw Knox PF120. Never took one back to Sears.

I've got about 4 generations of Craftsman hand tools in my inventory and can easily identify their age by the quality.

Here's the '52 Allstate (aka, Henry J):

Allstate.jpg

What happened?

Confirmation bias.

I think this is one reason Bezos is saying Amazon will fail. Leadership must challenge themselves and their decisions constantly, and not confirm to themselves that competition is wrong in their decisions.

My Megacorp's leaders always had this paranoia. It is something they did right and was quite helpful to the future of the corporation, even if it sometimes was painful for the workers when the corporation had to make moves even when everything seemed great.

Confirmation bias.

I think this is one reason Bezos is saying Amazon will fail. Leadership must challenge themselves and their decisions constantly, and not confirm to themselves that competition is wrong in their decisions.

My Megacorp's leaders always had this paranoia. It is something they did right and was quite helpful to the future of the corporation, even if it sometimes was painful for the workers when the corporation had to make moves even when everything seemed great.

Exacty. The workers were mere pawns. Hence the reason to become FI ASAP. Sad but true.

Sears was our lifeline to US retailing when we were stationed in Spain with the Navy in the early 1970's. Of course there was a Navy Exchange on base but a lot of us preferred the products/selection we could get from Sears. Everyone had a Sears catalog and we learned to start beginning our Christmas shopping in September or so to ensure delivery via the US Mail/FPO systems by December. I'm sure everyone overseas uses Amazon these days but 40+ years ago Sears was the cat's pajamas.

1959 Home from the army in Fort Devens to Pawtucket... looking for a job. Jeanie was busy giving birth to our first son. Living at her mom's house.

Neighbor says, why don't you try Sears in Providence. So as a college graduate, an opening in the store management program.

Eight weeks training for Sears retail, with years more to move up to manager.

Opportunity to go for training as a Catalog store manager... short training period of 3 months in Claremont NH... 5 days in a hotel and 2 days back to Pawtucket.

Age 22... appointed Sears Catalog Store Manager in Chelsea Mass.,, lovingly known as the armpit of the state. Tough old lady store manager who was being replaced. So bad the district manager wouldn't go to the store.

Store Credit manager was a softy who would lend to anyone, so as the new store manager, I had to chase down 100+ bad credit accounts every month... in some of the poorest homes in the country. Winter... no heat, and broken windows. stories you couldn't believe.

After 6 months, transferred to Vineyard Haven Mass... on the Island of MV. New son, nice home, boating and swimming and loving life. There for three years including second son. A wonderful life.

Promoted to largest catalog store in the district... a ferry ride away to Falmouth Mass. Three years there, and child #3. Still on Cape Cod... Maybe should have left it at that. but was offered a job at twice the pay, with Montgomery Ward, as a District manager over 24 stores. End of career with Sears, but left with many fond memories of the early days... 1959 to 1966.

Took a while to think that one through... sorry for the diversion. :blush:

BTW... just heard news that that a deal was made... maybe a second chance? 6PM Friday.

Too bad for Sears. Part of the life cycle for business I suppose. Definitely an icon of America past.

I wonder what Lampert has up his sleeve this time now that he has already extracted much of the value out of Sears. Apparently, he has to face the secured and unsecured creditors with a proposal as a next move.

Back
Top Bottom