Got Flu Despite Shot

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got the flu two days ago. I know it wasn't just a cold because I had intense exhaustion and body aches. Yesterday, I slept all day long. Literally.

I'm much better today but still only about 40% of normal. I attribute that to the flu shot. I considered seeing a doc and getting Tamiflu, but decided against it. Had I done that, I probably would have credited the Tamiflu.

Lena was sick a few days before me but not as intensely. Maybe her flu shot "took" better.

The flu shot isn't to keep you from getting the flu. It's to lessen the chances of getting it, and to reduce the severity if you do. Well worth it.

I had a flu shot once many years ago and my arm hurt for a week. That was my one and only time of getting the shot, and I've never had the flu. Good immune system I guess.

I got the flu, too, though I had the quad shot back in October. 4 days of 100 - 101 deg fever and so far 10 days afterwards of reduced activity. I was thinking the fever would have been worse if I didn't have the shot.

Since you are a scientist, you should read the package insert for Tamiflu: It must be started immediately upon infection and before you even know you have the flu. Then it reduces the course of the flu from about 7 days to just 6 days. It's a neuraminidase inhibitor. Basically, it's worthless unless (a) you are the 2nd person in the family to get the flu AND the first person has been confirmed with an influenza infection before you start getting a scratchy throat AND your physician will write the prescription for the 2nd person even though they don't have a fever yet.

As for the difference between your experience and Lena's, you need to google "Man flu."

Last edited:
The flu shot is never 100% effective, and this year it may only be 10% effective, based on what I've read. At that level of effectiveness, I think there are probably more potential downsides to getting the shot, than potential benefits. I personally have not had a flu shot for years, and don't plan to get one anytime soon.

^Ah, it's people that don't get the shot that cause the breakdown of "herd immunity."

I have had a flu shot annually for about the past 20 years, and I have never had influenza during that time. Anecdotes are sometimes useful, but for the big picture, I look at statistics. I am fully aware that flu shots do not offer 100% protection, but they reduce the odds. I see it as risk management. You can mitigate the risk, but you cannot eliminate it entirely.

I'm in Meadbh's camp, I get the flu shot. Once, 20+ years ago I did get the flu (kept me on my back for a week) but that was the only time. Also I got it free from my employer, they didn't want half the county workforce calling in sick at the same time.

I have had a flu shot annually for about the past 20 years, and I have never had influenza during that time. Anecdotes are sometimes useful, but for the big picture, I look at statistics. I am fully aware that flu shots do not offer 100% protection, but they reduce the odds. I see it as risk management. You can mitigate the risk, but you cannot eliminate it entirely.

+1 Fairways and greens baby, fairways and greens.

DW and I have never had a flu shot and at this point don't intend to. While I don't think either of us has ever had the flu, weekly visits by the grandkids sure enough gets us enough exposure to our share of runny noses and sniffles.

I’ve had the flu shot the last 10 years, still managed to get the flu once in that time period.

My prior PCP was a big believer in flu shots. He claimed he'd never taken a sick day in 35+ years of practice. Claimed sure I'll get sick, take the same OTC stuff as you.

His take was other than sanitation that's all he could control. He convinced me.

I had my DNA test via 23 and me. It said I wasn't susceptible to influenza (I can't remember exactly how it was worded.) I still get the flu shot. The last time I had the vomit flu was probably 50 years ago.

I get colds / flu a lot less since FIREing. Another benefit of RE.

The new shingles vaccine looks very promising. Must ask the doc next time.

I got the shot for influenza A one year and got influenza B. My GP was incredulous and tested to be certain. That was the only flu shot I ever got. I rarely get the flu.

I had my DNA test via 23 and me. It said I wasn't susceptible to influenza (I can't remember exactly how it was worded.) I still get the flu shot. The last time I had the vomit flu was probably 50 years ago.

what does this mean?

When I was a kid I got whooping cough despite getting the vaccine...

Anecdote:
I've had the flu shot annually for something close to 40 years (had to skip it just once when doing too much traveling). Got the flu twice, once severe and once relatively mild. I would never consider not getting it.

Each year they have to choose which strains to include in the vaccine but they don’t always get it right. From Wikipedia:

The Global Influenza Surveillance Network's selection of viruses for the vaccine manufacturing process is based on its best estimate of which strains will predominate the next year, amounting in the end to well-informed but fallible guesswork.

The real truth is that many people that claim to have the flu really have a virus that gives them a had upper respiratory infection. It is usually very contageous.

The extremely high temperatures comes with the real flu. I don't know that I have really had the flu.

The real truth is that many people that claim to have the flu really have a virus that gives them a had upper respiratory infection. It is usually very contageous.

The extremely high temperatures comes with the real flu. I don't know that I have really had the flu.
I've had it and yes it's not fun. SIL brought it to Thanksgiving dinner one year.?

My Grandfather was orphaned by the flu. His parent's died off in the 1890s from a couple of regional flus.

what does this mean?

"23 and me" is a DNA testing service - you send them a swab, and they run a screen of various genetic traits/disorders you might have, and also look to see if there is anyone else in their database whom you might be related to. Google for more.

The new shingles vaccine looks very promising. Must ask the doc next time.

Yes, my doc actually recommended I wait for this new one, when I asked about getting one now.

Each year they have to choose which strains to include in the vaccine but they don’t always get it right.

He also said it's not expected to be great this year. I think he said 40% effective, but maybe it's down to 10% now, with more data in since then.

I always get the shot. Even if it's 40% or even 10% effective, that's better than nothing. And it may also make the flu less severe if you do catch it.

This is a no-brainer risk/reward equation. It also (as my doctor reminded me again) helps with herd immunity, so I'm doing this for everyone, not just myself.

Frankly I don't buy most of the arguments people use to justify not getting the shot. C'mon, suck it up. It doesn't hurt THAT bad.

The flu shot isn't to keep you from getting the flu. It's to lessen the chances of getting it, and to reduce the severity if you do. Well worth it.

And, if enough people get the shot, it decreases the probability that ANYONE will get the flu - it never has the chance to gain a foothold in the population.

By the way, if you haven't had a flu shot for a while because they hurt, you should try again. I don't know why (different needles?) but my last few shots I've hardly been able to feel at all at the time of the injection, and little or no pain in the following days as well. It's not just false bravado; members of my family who have always been needle-shy report the same thing.

DW and I have never had a flu shot and at this point don't intend to. While I don't think either of us has ever had the flu, weekly visits by the grandkids sure enough gets us enough exposure to our share of runny noses and sniffles.
Continued good fortune with that course of action/inaction. Me, I'm too chicken to not get a shot.

Back
Top Bottom