Grandson Devastated

Nords, is the ASVAB the same test and same scoring system they used 20 years ago? I believe the same test is given to all branches, correct? If so, then I dont believe 93 is all that great of a score is it?. I took the test in 1986 and joined the Army. I scored 125.
I don't know how the scoring system has changed over the years, but it's the same acronym for the modern version of the test.

I'm hoping FIREUp2020 will weigh in shortly with her recruiting expertise on the latest changes.

He should take the nuke offer. They have it good and can get a sweet job after the Navy if they want. It is a very long school, very detail oriented.

I dealt with the tattoo policy in the Army Guard. It used to be no tattoos showing on neck and past arm cuffs, where long sleeve shirt would be. I think they relaxed the neck ones tho, as those seem to be popular. Same restriction on extremist/hate, etc.

ASVAB scoring changed a while ago, to one score. When I took mine in 85 I got 5 or 6 scores I think.

We all have different ages we mature. I was definitely a late bloomer. When I was 25 I did not like to work. All I wanted to do was play golf, gamble and drink beer. I did enjoy those days but I knew I could not go on like that forever. When I was 29 my brother was killed in an automobile accident. I was working with him and my Dad in our family business. All of a sudden I had to grow up. I sometimes wonder how I would have turned out if my brother had lived. I looked to him for everything. I did not want to do anything myself, just let my brother figure it out. Well things changed fast after that and I did change. I turned out pretty good. My friends today would be shocked if I told about my past. I think the 25 year old who is planning on going into the Navy will turn out good. It just will take a while. He is probably just a late bloomer like me. Tom

We all have different ages we mature. I was definitely a late bloomer. When I was 25 I did not like to work. All I wanted to do was play golf, gamble and drink beer. I did enjoy those days but I knew I could not go on like that forever. When I was 29 my brother was killed in an automobile accident. I was working with him and my Dad in our family business. All of a sudden I had to grow up. I sometimes wonder how I would have turned out if my brother had lived. I looked to him for everything. I did not want to do anything myself, just let my brother figure it out. Well things changed fast after that and I did change. I turned out pretty good. My friends today would be shocked if I told about my past. I think the 25 year old who is planning on going into the Navy will turn out good. It just will take a while. He is probably just a late bloomer like me. Tom

Thank you so much for your post oldtrig. It brought tears to my eyes to think how much that experience must have devastated you. I love both my grandsons, lived next door to them for five years, was in the delivery room when they were born, watched them grow from babies, then watching them move to Okinawa when Marines shipped out "my family". When SIL came back to the states, he got stationed at McDill AFB in Tampa. We moved from Ft. Myers and lived next door to them for eight years. Watched the boys grow up and graduate high school, then go on to junior college. We've always been very family oriented. We've both moved but still live within a couple miles. You can't live that close for all those years and not care about each other. My initial post was titled "Grandson Devastated". I think it should have been titled "Grandpa Devastated". Like you, maybe they will be late bloomers. Thanks again for you kind words.

We all have different ages we mature. I was definitely a late bloomer. When I was 25 I did not like to work. All I wanted to do was play golf, gamble and drink beer.

Immature? That's what half the members of this board spend their time doing! :cool:

Minus the gambling ;-)

Johnnie - I think you need to have a talk with grandson 1. it sounds like he could use some advice and a little direction from an old-timer. I still remember getting the talks in the early 70's. I think those talks helped me immensely.

!!!think how much that experience must have devastated you!!!
I don't think any one thing has ever devastated as bad as this did. I was in shock for a very long time. One day he was here and then gone. He was my only brother. That was in 1976 but it seems like yesterday. I think about him everyday.
I am 100% sure your grandson will turn out fine. It probably will do no good talking to him at this time. I know it did me no good when I was at that age. As he ages he will change and I think the Navy will help him. Just let him be and when he returns for a visit when on leave I bet you will see a BIG change in him. Good luck to you and him. :D
Tom

I heard on FB I was summonsed to this thread! (pretty funny to be tracked down for one site on another!)

Current Navy recruiting "temperature":

One big tattoo not visible in uniform that is not inappropriate is waiverable. Multiple tattoos CAN be waived, and the location and tattoo itself are subjective to the Commanding Officer who has the authority to waive these.

ASVAB scores - each military applicant takes the test to enlist. Each branch converts the scores differently. 99 is the "maximum" score the way the Navy converts the raw scores. 93 is an awesome score, and he is eligible (as far as the test) for most jobs. That number is only compliled from the two mathmetic sections and the two "English" sections. Mechanical comprehension, coding speed, science, etc categories are used to match applicants up with available jobs and their aptitude beyond math/verbal aptitude. 35 is the score required to "pass" - Navy recruiters will totally blow you off with a score below a 50 (very few openings for scores below 50) - with the economy the way it is, we can be picky.

Are there any criminal or drug issues? This could also be the reason he is getting the blow off (with his ASVAB score, and going the nuke route, past transgressions are more likely to be approved)

DADT (Don't Ask Don't Tell) is repealed effective 20 September. If he has any problem with "homosexuals", the military is not for him - it will be painful for him, and as Nords mentioned, he will be booted out so fast his head will be spinning if he expresses noticeable backlash against this policy.

25 years old, and the Navy is interested in him joining - he should be greatful, and go through with it - regardless of the job. We no longer stuff square pegs into round holes, and are looking for specific test scores, specific skills, etc. - and sharp high school seniors in particular. The people who decided civlant is not for them, and "oh, I'll just join the military if that does not work out" are NOT the primary target market. Nor are prior service individuals. These folks get to wait in line - for their recruiter to call with a "can you go tomorrow" message. This means we had a last minute hot fill and it will go to the first recruiter that gets one of these (not the HS seniors) people "on deck" to enlist and later ship to boot camp.

Regardless of what route he goes with the Navy, he is in for MORE SCHOOL!! Initial training, specialty school, one and two week schools throughout his time in...encouraged to attend/finish off-duty college...SCHOOL SCHOOL SCHOOL...

Best of luck to him!

While you care about grandson #1, please tell #2 that you love and care about him, too, and that you accept him for what he is, even though his brother has issues with acceptance.

While you care about grandson #1, please tell #2 that you love and care about him, too, and that you accept him for what he is, even though his brother has issues with acceptance.

I talked to grandson #1 last night and asked him about his brother. His initial reaction was one of disgust and that's what triggered the fight. #1 tells me the issue is over and he wants to move on. #2 has been gone all summer working for a company in Chicago installing security systems. He is due home Aug 12. Might be an interesting homecoming. Sure, I will always love grandson #2 but I don't have to agree with his ways or be around him if he's with a "friend".

Hi Jonnie36. Thanks for sharing your experience. This thread has been an interesting read. My much younger little sister's best friend from high shcool plans on doing ROTC and just got a huge arm tattoo. I immediatley thought of this thread and cautioned her that she may be giving up her dream for a tattoo (and one I think is very ugly btw lol).

He'd have to volunteer for submarine service, so if he doesn't want it then it won't happen. Submariners do not want non-volunteers, and volunteers who change their minds are quickly persuaded to leave.

Nords, last I checked the Aviators were all volunteers also. Least wise in my time.

My niece's son is a Marine and he has a bunch of tattoos. I don't know if he had them before he joined the military or not. He seemed to be able to function fine with his tattoos, the year he spent in Afghanistan. Just saying. It does sound like your grandson needs to lose his attitude though and maybe he will once he gets into a different type of atmosphere.

I also have to admit to be late to the maturing game. I was 25 when I had my son and he caused me to grown up in a hurry!

I also was also a late bloomer. My environment at home was not the best. Looking back...joining the military was the best thing I could have ever done. Once out on my own, and away from a dysfunctional environment my mind cleared and I became in control of my destiny. That was eons ago. I can thank those early military years for giving me my start in life and an awakening. Looking forward, I will be eligible to retire in just a little over 2 years...in my mid 50s. I think most young people need something like that in their early lives to wake them up on the realities of life and becoming independent.

Johnnie...It's the best thing your grandson could do. I see so many of my friend's kids just hanging around wasting time and their lives. He will become a changed man and someone to be proud of.

Johnnie, I'm not sure exactly how to say this, but much of my sympathy and concern bypasses Grandson #1 and lands squarely on Grandson #2. He has shared, knowing the probable outcome, a desperately personal description of who he "really" is with the family. From this, he's been blamed for the #1s violent outbursts? And it would seem from your comments that he's been devalued by sharing this information as well.

He's still the same person, the same baby you watched grow up, the very same person you've always loved. This is who he has been the whole time, but for the first time, you know something that he's kept hidden, however well. Please spare some thoughts for him, too, in the emotional upheaval that the family is experiencing.

I know that's not what you wrote about, and it is probably my most controversial threadjack ever, but I just yesterday had a friend I've known since middle school tell me she's gay, even though she's lived a hetero life, including marriage and kids, but realized she's always been this way and refused to acknowledge it until after her husband left her. I feel very sorry for her, thinking of how it must be to know you are different, to know that people, even family members, will ostracize or become angry with you, about something you are powerless to change.

Peace to you and your family.

I never really understood the policy on tattoos. Sure, I understood the ban on extremist/sexist, etc ones. But tattoos are just everywhere now. I'd say a good portion of the recruits I worked with had them.

I think any visible tattoos (and a giant eagle across one's chest could be visible through a white shirt) constitute a personal statement vs. the overall anonymity of people in uniform, especially for a recruit. Inadvertantly calling attention to oneself via tattoos in a battle situation might be a problem for the individual and the unit?

I like military tattoos, personally:

‪US MARINE BAND, Canadian Navy Centennial Tattoo PNE 2010‬‏ - YouTube

Nords, last I checked the Aviators were all volunteers also. Least wise in my time.
... and they probably still all are volunteers, but there seemed to be some concern that a recruit could end up in the submarine service if they applied for nuclear training.

My point was that someone entering the Navy can't be ordered to submarine service unless they volunteer for it. I wasn't attempting to imply anything about aviators.

Someone entering the Navy on a minimal obligation with no rating preference and little/no schools would have a high probability of ending up on an amphibious ship or an aircraft carrier whether they thought it was a good idea or not.

Frankly it sounds as though the Navy is more interested in recruits who have a preference and some initiative, even though it may turn out to be different from what they wanted.

Anyone who thinks someone should be pointed toward the military to "grow up and straighten out" (no matter how good it turned out) should be appointed that person's military supervisor for the duration of their enlistment!

Sounds like boot camp itself would be good for the kid. What the grandson needs is a good old-fashioned kick in the ass.

My experience was that of a USMC drill instructor and a tough Navy CPO. Either one can certainly deliver. Hopefully the grandson here gets what he needs.

If he doesn't change his attitude, he'll have a very tough time wherever he goes.

Johnnie, I'm not sure exactly how to say this, but much of my sympathy and concern bypasses Grandson #1 and lands squarely on Grandson #2. He has shared, knowing the probable outcome, a desperately personal description of who he "really" is with the family. From this, he's been blamed for the #1s violent outbursts? And it would seem from your comments that he's been devalued by sharing this information as well.

He's still the same person, the same baby you watched grow up, the very same person you've always loved. This is who he has been the whole time, but for the first time, you know something that he's kept hidden, however well. Please spare some thoughts for him, too, in the emotional upheaval that the family is experiencing.

I know that's not what you wrote about, and it is probably my most controversial threadjack ever, but I just yesterday had a friend I've known since middle school tell me she's gay, even though she's lived a hetero life, including marriage and kids, but realized she's always been this way and refused to acknowledge it until after her husband left her. I feel very sorry for her, thinking of how it must be to know you are different, to know that people, even family members, will ostracize or become angry with you, about something you are powerless to change.

Peace to you and your family.

Sarah, a lot of this will come to a head when grandson #2 returns from Chicago on Aug 12th. Their family is planning a family get-together shortly after. I'm anxious to see how everyone gets along. I'll let you know.

... and they probably still all are volunteers, but there seemed to be some concern that a recruit could end up in the submarine service if they applied for nuclear training.

My point was that someone entering the Navy can't be ordered to submarine service unless they volunteer for it. I wasn't attempting to imply anything about aviators.

Someone entering the Navy on a minimal obligation with no rating preference and little/no schools would have a high probability of ending up on an amphibious ship or an aircraft carrier whether they thought it was a good idea or not.

Frankly it sounds as though the Navy is more interested in recruits who have a preference and some initiative, even though it may turn out to be different from what they wanted.

Anyone who thinks someone should be pointed toward the military to "grow up and straighten out" (no matter how good it turned out) should be appointed that person's military supervisor for the duration of their enlistment!
I disagree with you on that. You are not old enough to have been drafted. What about those?? You know who got drafted? The people who could not afford college or those who did not make good grades while in college. I am quite sure those who served in Viet Nam really did not want to go. I am also sure many needed to grow up and I can bet you they did real fast when they got there.
It sure made a different person out of me. I knew if I messed up what would happen. When at home that rule did not apply. I see no reason this person should not be able to serve with the tattoo. Whats the big deal anyway. Tom

I talked to grandson #1 last night and asked him about his brother. His initial reaction was one of disgust and that's what triggered the fight. #1 tells me the issue is over and he wants to move on. #2 has been gone all summer working for a company in Chicago installing security systems. He is due home Aug 12. Might be an interesting homecoming. Sure, I will always love grandson #2 but I don't have to agree with his ways or be around him if he's with a "friend".

I agree with Sarah on this . It's tough on grandson # 2 also . Realizing you are different and telling people has to be extremely tough . He's still the child you loved no matter his life style . My son was gay and yes it was a heartbreak but he was still the same person before and after the announcement . I did accept it and his friend.I would rather have a gay son than a druggie son or one of the other horrors that can happen to our children.

I agree with Sarah on this . It's tough on grandson # 2 also . Realizing you are different and telling people has to be extremely tough . He's still the child you loved no matter his life style . My son was gay and yes it was a heartbreak but he was still the same person before and after the announcement . I did accept it and his friend.I would rather have a gay son than a druggie son or one of the other horrors that can happen to our children.

+1

Moe, you have had more than the usual number of growth opportunites in your life. Congratulations on making it through so very well.

Ha

Sure, I will always love grandson #2 but I don't have to agree with his ways or be around him if he's with a "friend".

So if he finds someone who makes him happy and who he wants to share his life with you would choose not to be around him when he was with that person?

Back
Top Bottom