Great Pie and Coffee when traveling

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
One of my favorite ways to take a break when road tripping is to stop for pie and coffee. Unfotunately, many places sell a pie that is not much more than bits of fruit surrounded by a huge amount of sugary goop. Not so good.

I thought it might be fund to get recommendations of good Pie and Coffee places to stop when traveling.

I'll start with this one:

Westport, Washington

Blue Buoy Restaurant

Great home made pies, and great breakfasts also. Plus good coffee.

A couple of my favorites.

North Bend, WA

https://www.twedescafe.com/

Made famous by the series Twin Peaks. Is it even a trip to Twede’s if you don’t have a slice of cherry pie and a damn fine cup of coffee? Our desserts are all made fresh, in-house.

Pie Town, New Mexico

https://pieoneer.com/menu/

At Pieoneer Pies, we serve pie. It’s what we do best. Now it’s all we do.

Step up to the Pie Bar and select your favorite slice. Want it a la mode? We’ve got you covered. We’ve got great coffee and other drink selections too.

If you’re lookin’ for lunch, enjoy some pie. Or, we’ll have suggestions for you and you can take some pie to go.

Last edited:
The Koffee Kup in Hico, Texas. A true small-town gem. The pies have a really tall meringue and are well-known throughout Texas. Check out the photos on their website: Koffee Kup

It's southwest of DFW on US 281. We go right past it on our drives down to the Hill Country. So we stop there a lot.

While in Panama City Beach a couple weeks ago, we were out exploring the local touristy outside shopping mall street and went into Buttermilk Sky Pie Shop. We had never heard of them. While they sell full-size pies, they seem to specialize in selling "personal-size" pies. We love a good pie, So we bought 4 of them for $20 and took them home for dinner. We were sadly not impressed with any of the 4 flavors. I don't recommend wasting your money. We probably should have known better given the store was in nothing more than a shopping mall. But we were hoping for a good experience. We didn't get it. They were no better than a grocery store bakery pie.

Everybody around here raves about Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pies in Davis, OK. There are stores in Oklahoma City and Wichita as well, but off the beaten path. I've never been blown away by the pies but they're better than average. Personally I'm more savory than sweet so I get the pie with polish sausage and potatoes.

https://www.arbucklemountainfriedpies.com/

Second the Norske Nook in Wisconsin! Also Betty’s Pies in Two Harbors MN on the North Shore.

WOW! Plenty of good suggestions. Keep them coming.

Anybody know of a place for really good pecan pie?

Depends. Do you want pee-can pie or pah-con pie? Makes a difference

I had a huge fondness for marionberry pie. A PNW thing, but could also be found at Signal Mountain Lodge in Grand Teton NP.

Dessert and pastries are pretty much out of the picture these days, but I can still enjoy the berries!

My house? But I don't share outside the family. LOL. Making one on Sunday to take with us on a camping trip we leave for on "Pi day" (march 14)

Twenty-some years ago, I was on a vehicle evaluation trip in California. The team of guys I was with insisted that we stop in Julian,CA at Julian Pie Co. (An incongruous place in the mountains northeast of San Diego en route to our destination in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park).

They bought a lot of pies "to go". And raved about them.

As I recall, it was a tiny place, not sure if they even served coffee back then. From the website, they now have 2 locations and serve coffee, too.

https://www.julianpie.com/apps/store-locator/

omni

I thought about mentioning Julian Pie Company. They have locations in Julien and in Santa Isabel. Some San Diego grocery stores also sell their pies. Last time we tried to buy a pie at the Santa Isabel shop the line was about 45 minutes long... Dudley's bakery is next door to the Santa Isabel Julien Pie Company store. It has EXCELLENT bread. We went home after deciding the line was too long and I made a homemade pie the next day.

Mom's Pie shop. They have a location in Julian CA, always too busy, and another in Wynola, about 3 miles from Julian.

We always stop at the Wynola location on the way home from Anza Borrego Desert. Next door is a "mall" that has a tasting room that serves good beer and food. Then we always get a slice of apple crumb pie at Mom's afterwards. The pie is delicious!

As a kid, we used to go to a chain called (I think) Bakers Square. They had good fruit pies. But I haven't seen one in years. Anyone else remember them??

Oh, and I'll third the Norske Nook in Osseo WI mentioned above.

The Ritz Diner in Livingston, NJ. They are known for their Apple Pie, made famous by Guy Fieri visiting there on Triple D years ago. I’ve had it and it’s amazing!
IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg

Lea's Lunchroom in Lecompte, LA has a good pecan pie. It's a bit too sweet for me but I like a tart pie. No meringue on any pie for me please.
My DW makes an awesome tart apple pie and an excellent key lime pie (again with no meringue) that'll make you pucker up!

Back
Top Bottom