Great Pie and Coffee when traveling

If you like Pecan Pie, this is a must-try... Jack Daniels Pecan Pie at the world-famous Rock Springs Cafe! You can even order them online (and I have).

cafe.jpg

At Exit 242, North of Phoenix on I17.

Last edited:
Depends. Do you want pee-can pie or pah-con pie? Makes a difference

Alas, I am just a wretched Westerner. Can you please tell me the difference between pee-can pie and Pah-coon pie?

I will assume either are better than the store bought pecan pies at my local Big Name grocery store.

Alas, I am just a wretched Westerner. Can you please tell me the difference between pee-can pie and Pah-coon pie?

I will assume either are better than the store bought pecan pies at my local Big Name grocery store.

As I understand it from a woman who travelled to the south years ago: "Honey, the PeeCan is under the bed, the pehcans are in the pie."

Mom's Pie shop. They have a location in Julian CA, always too busy, and another in Wynola, about 3 miles from Julian

Yup, Mom's was my choice when I was in that neck of the woods. Apple with cheddar on top (even though the cheddar is orange, not white as it should be).

Yup, Mom's was my choice when I was in that neck of the woods. Apple with cheddar on top (even though the cheddar is orange, not white as it should be).

That calls to mind the famous quote of Nelson Algren (1956):
Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never play cards with a man named Doc. And never lay down with a woman who's got more troubles than you.

Some of my favorites when traveling.

Flying Saucer Pie Company, Houston Texas (loved the strawberry cream pie)
You Need Pie Diner and Bakery, Estes Park, CO
Pie Town, NM
Croshaw's Gourmet Pies, St. George, UT
Gifford House at Capitol Reef NP, Torrey, UT
Sweet Cravings Bakery, Moab, UT

Some states have Pie Trails that can be found on the internet. Utah is one of those states and seems to have a lot of wonderful pies.

Diners on the Rt 70 roundabouts/traffic circles generally had good pie. Lived in Mantoloking 40 years ago I see that most circles are now intersections. Too bad they were fun to drive through.

By the way.... Happy Pi Day!

Any good deals on pie in your area today?

None in my area for real pie. A local pizzeria is offering a 2nd 11 inch pie for $3.14.

I did not find a good pie deal locally today, either. Had a sad little individual pie from a local grocer to mark Pi day but should have gotten pizza pie. Ah, well…next year.

The blueberry pie at The Maine Diner in Wells, ME is definitely worth a stop if traveling by Kennebunkport, ME.

Northwestern Ohio, along Lake Erie between Toledo and Sandusky, is a birders' mecca in May. And everyone stops at Blackberry Corners in Martin, Ohio for wonderful pies.*

*Dessert, NOT pizza. The pizzas, which are featured on their website cover photos, are ..., well, I don't know what they are (PERHAPS a meat pie), but to this New Jerseyan, they are NOT pizza, not even the sketchy Chicago variant. I saw one when I was there, and it looked literally like a pound of mixed hamburger and some sausage, with some kind of melted cheese food on top, in a pie crust. No, don't always ask the locals for recommendations.

But the fruit pies are terrific!

Last edited:
Everybody around here raves about Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pies in Davis, OK. There are stores in Oklahoma City and Wichita as well, but off the beaten path. I've never been blown away by the pies but they're better than average. Personally I'm more savory than sweet so I get the pie with polish sausage and potatoes.

https://www.arbucklemountainfriedpies.com/

I can confirm that they have some very, VERY yummy pies!

Otis Cafe, Lincoln City Oregon.
Best Marionberry pie anywhere, if you are lucky enough to get there when they have baked them.

+1 on Rock Springs Cafe north of Phoenix on I-17. Also, Pie Girl and Pie Guy in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Great Marionberry pies there!

Edna's Restaurant

1300 US-411
Chatsworth, GA 30705

(Looks like their web presence is confined to F-book, so you can search there if so inclined. Go with the peanut butter.)

Busy Corner restaurant in Goodfield, Illinois. Just off the Goodfield exit on I-74 between Bloomington and Peoria. All kinds of pies and all great! Have been around for years, but moved to a new building by the interstate several years ago. Appropriate name for the restaurant as they are always “busy”.

Moodys diner, Waldoboro, ME, Das Essenhaus Middlebury, IN and Guppys, Indian Rocks Beach, FL - upside apple pie a la mode.

Back
Top Bottom