Greatest bands nobody has heard of

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK, we've run through the list of "top 10" ... how about musicians or musical groups you wish more people knew about?

I'll start with the great post-punk band from Leeds, The Mekons, with a song somehow fitting to this forum.

Hey thanks Graybeard. I'll add Rival Sons to the list. They're current and would have sounded just as awesome to rockers 40 years ago as they do today. Founded in '09 and from Long Beach, CA

I can only think of one and that is Triumph. I could be wrong but I really don't think they are well known. I really liked Triumph. If memory serves they were Canadian.

My husband's band "Points North". They are an original 3 piece instrumental progressive rock band. Influences are Rush, Dixie Dregs, Satriani. I would post a video, but I got in trouble once before doing that, so you can Google "Points North Band" and check them out if you're so inclined. I often tell people that they are "the best band you've never heard of".

Blackberry Smoke. Love them. Went to a concert where they were the #2 band. Now they're #1 in my heart.

Lord Huron. Great music for hiking and the outdoors. I loved it during my hike of the PCT. Lonesome Dreams album is awesome

Here's a couple of gals that I stumbled on via Facebook. They do a lot of cover songs there. Kind of a funky style.

For any old Blue grassers out there, did you ever hear of Strength in Numbers? You'll recognize the band members names.

Hey thanks Graybeard. I'll add Rival Sons to the list. They're current and would have sounded just as awesome to rockers 40 years ago as they do today. Founded in '09 and from Long Beach, CA

A definite Zep vibe there. Thanks for posting.

Here's a couple of gals that I stumbled on via Facebook. They do a lot of cover songs there. Kind of a funky style.
Nice video, Dawg. I wonder if you've run across a guy from the Mobile area named Will Kimbrough.

Blackberry Smoke. Love them. Went to a concert where they were the #2 band. Now they're #1 in my heart.

Found their Farm Aid video, Bir48de. Thanks.

I'll be sure to check out all the suggestions.

Music Lover’s bands might be the greatest. I don’t know. I’ve never heard them.

Great post, I need some new music. Not new, but I like The Specials, ska reggae band. They show up now on a Fidelity Investment commercial, song "A Message to You, Rudy". I about fell off the couch when I heard it.

Here's another one. Band from MS but maybe not that obscure. I saw them one night on Conan O'Brien.

Definitely not obscure (at least to me). I've seen them multiple times at various music festivals. They aren't headliners, but they're definitely high second tier.

My college days were in Indiana circa 1980. There were a couple good local bands that *almost* had their breakthrough. From Indianapolis - Roadmaster:
From across the river in Champaign-Urbana - Starcastle. Man I remember
driving over to party at U of I and driving home cross eyed. That was back
when I had hair - lots of it:dance:

Mine is "The Red Elvises". I first saw them perform on the Santa Monica Promenade about 20 years ago. They started touring very heavily and got to see them about 10 years later in Kentucky! The band has changed quite a bit since then, but the guys out front were all from Russia!

Last edited:
A local KC band Steve, Bob and Rich. Later they were known as the Rainmakers.

I remember Starcastle. I saw them open for Gentle Giant long, long ago.

I pulled a few out of the dusty recesses of my mind. They aren't totally unknown, but they should have all been much more famous.

Brinsley Shwarz is the band that Nick Lowe came out of before Rockpile.

Danny Gatton isn't unknown to anybody who wanted to be a guitar player, but he never got the fame he deserved. Great guy, too. I was devastated when he killed himself.

I was a huge fan of another band that just never quite made it. Fanny (originally Fanny Hill) was a kick ass band, one of the very earliest all female groups to almost make it big. June Millington was a killer guitar player. I loved their cover of Hey Bulldog by the Beatles. And I had a major crush on Alice de Buhr, the drummer. She had this sexy Susan Dey vibe going.

I just learned of this musician, she is now my favorite:

I can only think of one and that is Triumph. I could be wrong but I really don't think they are well known. I really liked Triumph. If memory serves they were Canadian.

+1. Saw them in Rockford, Illinois 1983 with my now mate. Great concert made for a great first date.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom