New Hobbies In FIRE?

Not a new hobby, but in retirement I’m spending a significantly increased amount of time training and competing in amateur cycling races. Pre-retirement I wasn’t able to get out to do the training necessary. I was just getting out on weekends, lining up, and hoping for the best. (“Best” being defined as not finishing DFL .. Dead F’ing Last)

It’s awesome now in retirement to have the strength and cardio fitness to hang with the fast guys at the front of the pack.

And my hobby gives me the opportunity to blow dough on feathery light and lighting fast bikes … like the $6k titanium frame with Italian component gravel road race rig that is being welded up in Tennessee now for the upcoming race season.

2016 after 23 years of pleasantly aimless ER, DW's brother passed and 'the family farm - 8o acres in CRP' responsibility shifted to us.

In spite of myself - drifted up to 54 solar panels on various outbuildings, three 2000 watt 'hobby windmills', solar panel lithium battery modified Polaris and went to the U of Missouri annual 'Chestnut Roast/seminar' on planting blight resistant chestnuts in MO.

Heh heh heh - !This is NOT work. Right? Only a hobby. :rolleyes: Sort of added to watching football and a few good stocks in winter. :LOL: :LOL: :facepalm:

P.S. - So 66% in govt. CRP, 6,5% in govt. Pollinator habitat, and the rest - putzible by yours truly.

Last edited:
... but I have to ask, did you get such a good deal on the equipment because it was used, clearance, or what?

I got very lucky. Someone at work posted "My dad is about to list this stuff on craigslist but will take $1000 if you save him the trouble." I was ON it!

Honestly, I doubt I would have bought that stuff if not for that offer. A telescope, yes, but not so big and not with the extras.

And not to complain or have regrets, but that's a pretty big telescope to haul around so now I'm trying to figure out how to build an observatory on the cheap. I have the space but not sure I want to go that route.

Not a new hobby but I've sure kicked on the afterburners. My 10th boat, a "bluewater" sailboat was commissioned to take us throughout the Caribbean and then up to Maine. COVID quarantines stopped us after 2,000 miles but has not squelched the dream. I'm trying to muster the strength to start anew but at 78, who knows? Meanwhile, local sailing is not bad.

Really never planned for more or new hobbies when I entered ER. I had to many to begin with before I ER. I ER so I could do all of the things I wanted to do, more often and when I wanted to before I ER.
Not a problem here staying as busy as I want to. In fact I been logging each year (5 ER) about 300 days hiking, fishing, hunting, trapping, snowshoeing just to mention a few also spending time enjoying the ranch. I also do some carving and have done many projects out of my comfort zone or expertise and have enjoyed those challenges and learned a lot from each. Each day seems to bring new adventures and so always busy and absolutely no time for new hobbies here.

Just completed my first summer of retirement, which I titled the Summer of Tennis and DIY Projects. Tennis isn't a new hobby, but it sure was fun to be able to play it during the week and meet some new people. And though I always thought myself a pretty poor handyman, it turns out all one needs to improve on his DIY skills is more time to watch YouTube, practice, and the resources to purchase the right tools.

It's been a blast so far.

Half joking...but...

Physical Therapy!

Last year I rehabbed a knee, then sessions this summer for a bad shoulder, and now I'm going back for Carpal Tunnel. On the plus side, it's taught me some additional exercises to work into my work outs.

I am re-learning to play Backgammon with DH, after a 40 year hiatus due to serious marital discord the last time we played.

I also test hammocks.

Pickleball, although the courts near us are not great - hard on knees. Disc golf - wish we had more local courses in SW CT.

I’m not fully RE, as I still work 1-2d/wk.

But have discovered, now that I have time to tinker, that I enjoy market-timing.

For the most part, I am just spending more time with the hobbies I had before retiring almost 5 years ago. Wrenching on antique cars, house/landscaping projects (bought a 2nd home in 2019, keeping me plenty busy), racquetball.

New stuff is probably cooking a whole lot more than I used too (DW, still w*orking loves that) and I hike almost daily and have given my self increasing yearly goals since 2018. On track to hit 550 miles in 2021.

Not too many new hobbies, but I did continue some of my existing hobbies into retirement. I had always liked building radio gear, so spent the first 5 years or so building ham radio equipment from scratch, to a higher standard than I had used to build before. I was also able to inspire and help others to build similar projects via an online blog. That was quite rewarding and enjoyable. I've always enjoyed photography too, which helped in taking photos of my gear for the blog. I did some street and people photography too. As with the radio building though, I got to a certain level, then didn't feel the need to do it any more. I had proved something to myself, so no need to continue.

A couple of years ago, I bought an older Airstream campervan. The hobbies of photography and radio will dovetail together nicely in my upcoming trip. I am heading out to the Eastern Sierras with kitty in tow, to listen for pirate radio beacons - a rather niche pursuit that is part of my ham radio and shortwave listening hobby. Although I no longer strive to take amazing photos, I do hope to document any quirky or interesting things I come across along the way.

Lastly, I don't know whether you can call it a hobby, but my appreciation of animals increased greatly after retirement. I stop and take time to watch, and greet, all the animal friends I come across. Squirrels, birds, the occasional opossum and raccoon and, of course, cats and dogs. I probably come across as the neighborhood eccentric, but I stop and talk with all of them. It gives me a lot of joy to see them.

In summary, I my only new hobbies in retirement are "campervanning" (I don't think of it as an RV, though I suppose it is), and a greatly increased love of animals.

Last edited:
Started pickleball last November and it has consumed me, especially after softball ended this fall. Try to play 5-6X/week. A few months back got interested in RC planes, never bought anything, however pickleball beat that out, so will shelve that for a while. Have only played in two tournaments thus far with one bronze medal to show for it. This fall am playing in a league made up of several country club teams which has been a challenge, as the competition is predominantly 30 somethings, some of whom are also tennis pros. The best I have done thus far in this league has been a 12 to 10 loss. Nevertheless, it is making me a better player.

Just had my first guitar lesson! It was fun but tedious trying to teach my brain and body new tricks. The instructor loaned me a guitar so I can practice until mine comes in (ordered today.... stupid supply chain!). I'm pretty excited to start and can't use time as an excuse not to practice. Looking forward to the day I can play something that sounds like music but I've got a lot of brain rewiring to do first.

Just had my first guitar lesson! It was fun but tedious trying to teach my brain and body new tricks. The instructor loaned me a guitar so I can practice until mine comes in (ordered today.... stupid supply chain!). I'm pretty excited to start and can't use time as an excuse not to practice. Looking forward to the day I can play something that sounds like music but I've got a lot of brain rewiring to do first.

I hope he is not reaching you to pick notes like a classical player.

What you do is get a book or screen print of popular or folk songs you like from your youth, where the cords are above the score, and you learn to strum the 6 or so basic cords that are in common use, and sing along.

Hard part is stretching your finger muscles and hardening your fingertip callouses.

Not so much any new hobbies but I did restart hobbies that I'd let slip away. One is photography when I discovered that digital is now worthy of having overtaken film. (And has been for years.) I ignored digital for as long as I was seeing pixels in photographs because it just seemed to be taking the lazy cheap way out. When we bought a new computer about ten years ago we bought an inexpensive point 'n shoot digital camera almost as an afterthought and I was astonished at how good it was.

Another resurrected hobby is radio control (R/C) model airplanes. The advances in electronics, not to mention the relatively low cost of same, was a surprise when I looked into it again. Another surprise was how good batteries and electric motors have become, to the point that I have switched entirely to electric airplanes and don't even own any fuel-powered ones anymore.

In conjunction with the R/C airplanes, I have started putting cameras on them and making a few videos, and I'm looking more into FPV (First Person View) flying, where the camera is connected to a TV transmitter and you fly the aircraft via goggles as if you were in the airplane. These are much harder than the drones, which practically fly themselves. R/C airplanes will quickly crash if you take your mind off what you're doing and require at least some understanding of the aerodynamics involved.

As with most hobbies, there is no upper limit on what you can spend on either photography or R/C models if you have the means. Fortunately, the price of entry can be very low too.

Save yourself a lot of grief and get a DJI MINI 2 for photography. You can also hack a Mini 2 to FPV

DJI also has an FPV UNIT.

Join a local FPV race club to get help learning FPV racing gear if you are going to custom build and repair. It’s a steep learning curve.

Hobbies I am getting more into:

astronomy - always has been my main hobby, Have now invested ~$10K into telescopes and gear! Need to cut back a bit.

kayaking - also building a wood strip kayak
hiking
re-learning piano - took lessons as a kid but, never went far
pickleball - want to try it out this coming year

I was thrilled when I learned my first couple of chords, meaning they were hard-wired and I no longer had to 'think.' I felt like a real musician for the first time in my life (with sincere apologies to real musicians everywhere :LOL: ) And I still feel that thrill with every new chord, song, or technique I learn. It's so fun to have this whole new arena in my life.

I was thrilled when I learned my first couple of chords, meaning they were hard-wired and I no longer had to 'think.' I felt like a real musician for the first time in my life (with sincere apologies to real musicians everywhere :LOL: ) And I still feel that thrill with every new chord, song, or technique I learn. It's so fun to have this whole new arena in my life.

I would be happy if I could strum half-way decently right now! :LOL: So easy in principle but my mind-body is fighting me. I know eventually I'll be able to set a rhythm and think about other things (like the fretting hand) but one thing at a time. I look forward to the day something clicks in my brain. I will be especially grateful when I learn something that is fun I that can go back to to re-energize myself when I feel stuck on whatever I'm learning.

I'm not telling anyone that I'm doing this other than my sister. She's a music teacher so she can at least understand what I'm going through and be a sounding board and maybe give me some helpful nuggets.

Great question. For me:
- Backcountry Flying
- Motorcycle (Off road)
- Skiing/Back country skiing
- Hiking (Mountains and Camino)
- Mountain Biking
- Shooting
- Sailing
- Scuba
- Photography
- Painting
- Drawing
- Guitar

So many things, so little time.

Hobbies I am getting more into:

astronomy - always has been my main hobby, Have now invested ~$10K into telescopes and gear! Need to cut back a bit.

kayaking - also building a wood strip kayak
hiking
re-learning piano - took lessons as a kid but, never went far
pickleball - want to try it out this coming year

Excellent - Keep us posted on your wood strip kayak progress!

I get anxious if I dont keep busy. In the last 30 hours I went mountain biking on my new fat tire electric mountain bike, went to the track to race my RC car last night, this morning went golfing 18 holes, and did a water change on one of my aquariums this afternoon.

I get anxious if I dont keep busy. In the last 30 hours I went mountain biking on my new fat tire electric mountain bike, went to the track to race my RC car last night, this morning went golfing 18 holes, and did a water change on one of my aquariums this afternoon.

I'm 78 and only good for 9 holes anymore. Then we go to the 19th hole......;)

I'm 78 and only good for 9 holes anymore.

That's the best way to shoot your age. :D

I have started to play golf tournaments after a 5-year hiatus, a return to my old hobby. Then, too many club members cheated on their handicaps. But our club added a lot of new members (mostly due to COVID) and many existing members have moved out. It was a good reason to come back.

Another old hobby I have returned to is listening to music. I am an audiophile and have recently added a network music server and Spotify premier membership. I am finding many new artists to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom