Grumpy Old People

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
This is an article on the hazards of becoming an old grump. Of course it doesn't apply to anyone who posts here, I'm only posting it because it makes for interesting reading. :)

Don't be that grumpy retiree people avoid

There is much research out there that correlates a positive attitude to a longer life. Jan Simpson on her blog writes about Dr. Barbara L. Fredrickson , a psychologist and researcher at UNC-Chapel Hill, who has done much work in this area and has even put together a tool to gauge your positivity ratio . Simpson reports that through her work, “Fredrickson discovered that experiencing positive emotions versus negative emotions in a 3-to-1 ratio leads people to a tipping point beyond which they naturally become more resilient to adversity. "

It's this resiliency that leads to living longer through challenges...

Hmmm... the measure was for the past 24 hours...
Just so happened that it coincided with my twice a year interaction with Comcast, sooo... answering honestly turned my usual fulltime happiness, into the anger flashes that only come when I have to deal with my only nemisis. Didn't make the 3:1 ratio. :(

... which means scheduling a visit to my psychiatrist so I don't die. Darn... this new technology is costing me money.

Maybe old grumps used to be young grumps (known by another name)....?

Yeah, good thing we haven't encounter any here :D

When I saw the topic, I thought it was a leftist political rant.

I don't need no dumbsh*t test to tell me how happy I am. Just wastin' my time with this nonsense when I really need to be working on my asset allocation.

Perfectly happy to grumpy any time it suits my purpose. Is that clear?

I took the test and I'm sure I was happier yesterday then the test seemed to indicate. I got a 1.7 only. Bummer, now I hate the world :).

But it didn't ask me if I was having fun taking a long hike with DW or analyzing my new activity monitor band or buying a new Roku. It didn't measure full involvement that tends to make me happiest. The test questions are quite easy to misinterpret for purposes of scoring. And 3 to 1, where did that come from? Read the 1st Amazon review by "GirlScoutDad" questioning that one.

So I requested a few books from the library:
Positivity by Fredrickson
Learned Optimism by Seligman

Gonna nail this one.

Son has called me Grumps a few times. He could be right.

The statements in the tool to gauge your positivity ratio are all very similar for either a negative or positive emotion. It seems like a gimmick without much meat to it.

Hey Lsbcal--

What are you so grumpy about with a 1.7? I got a stinkin' 1.0!!!!!! And I thought I was a regular pussycat!!!!! Now I'm really mad!!!!!!
prof12

As soon as I saw the topic, I thought, "Get off my lawn," but you beat me to it. :D

+1
My very first thought was of an mean old guy we called "cannonball" who always yelled at us on the way home from elementary school for walking on the sidewalk in front of his house. Can't remember why the nickname... but he sure was scary!

My very first thought was of an mean old guy we called "cannonball" who always yelled at us on the way home from elementary school for walking on the sidewalk in front of his house. Can't remember why the nickname... but he sure was scary!

We had one of those too, only it was a woman. Think of the crazy lady on "The Simpsons".

I don't feel grumpy much anymore. Don't have to go to work, or school, or do much of anything I don't want to. What's to be grumpy about?:dance:

Back
Top Bottom