Hanging on to my part time job (rant about a coworker)

Now, there may be more than what I've read involved here, but I'm going to summarize what it "sounds" (to me from the info posted) like happened from her point of view (with some "interpretation" of how it could come across:

Woman, with aspirations elsewhere but who works hard and competently at her job, recognizes that multiple employees at the company are allowed to work part-time. She realizes that if she shifted to part-time as well, her quality of life would increase (less time commuting, more time for other pursuits, etc).

Upon realizing this, she gets up the nerve to ask for just such an arrangement and explains some of the ways it would benefit her quality of life (less hectic week so she can be more well-rested, spend less time in traffic, etc) and is told "we don't do part-time". She responds to "we don't allow part-time" with something along the lines of "oh, I thought from seeing the people such as Ray working part-time that it was something we offer" and is told "he's been here a long time and you're not him" and she recognizes that she's apparently also not considered worth getting the good deal as "the older woman getting the special treatment too". Apparently the company is only willing to accommodate what makes "some" people's lives better/more convenient and a young single woman isn't special enough for such treatment like the older man is afforded or the older married woman.

From the story however, I have no indication that she didn't take that final answer "sorry, you're not him" as an affront etc, and she just could have thought to herself "oh well, at least I asked". However, if I worked for a company for years, with no negative marks on my employment record, and saw multiple people getting special treatment that I was being denied, I know I wouldn't feel exceptionally valued as an employee by such a company. Especially if their "policy" seemed to be "most of ya'll can't do this, except for the people we really like or value".

Sorry Ray, but to me your post comes across as you being the one sounding pretty entitled... how dare she want what you have? Doesn't she realize that even asking for a deal as good as you have could jeopardize your good situation? How dare she feel entitled to what you're entitled to?? Only two of you get this good deal and no one else should ask for it or mention it dangit!

Last edited:
Ray - I have to ask.... You've posted previously that you are financially able to retire... Would it be the end of the world if your deal ends? You could actually retire...

Just sayin'.

I understood Ray, like me, doesn't need to keep working part-time; like me, he likes what he's doing, and the money is nice; so he doesn't want to upset his applecart. For some reason, Ray fears that the younger woman's request might cause the boss to cancel all part-time gigs. I'm not sure why the boss would do this, but Ray knows the boss better than I do.

But then he calls the young woman selfish for asking for the privilege, and her motivations not serious enough (wants more time for herself - don't we all? Are we not ERs?) So I guess I am confused as to what's really bothering Ray. Is the young woman being a pill about being denied?

Now, there may be more than what I've read involved here, but I'm going to summarize what it "sounds" (to me from the info posted) like happened from her point of view (with some "interpretation" of how it could come across:

Woman, with aspirations elsewhere but who works hard and competently at her job, recognizes that multiple employees at the company are allowed to work part-time. She realizes that if she shifted to part-time as well, her quality of life would increase (less time commuting, more time for other pursuits, etc).

Upon realizing this, she gets up the nerve to ask for just such an arrangement and explains some of the ways it would benefit her quality of life (less hectic week so she can be more well-rested, spend less time in traffic, etc) and is told "we don't do part-time". She responds to "we don't allow part-time" with something along the lines of "oh, I thought from seeing the people such as Ray working part-time that it was something we offer" and is told "he's been here a long time and you're not him" and she recognizes that she's apparently also not considered worth getting the good deal as "the older woman getting the special treatment too". Apparently the company is only willing to accommodate what makes "some" people's lives better/more convenient and a young single woman isn't special enough for such treatment like the older man is afforded or the older married woman.

From the story however, I have no indication that she didn't take that final answer "sorry, you're not him" as an affront etc, and she just could have thought to herself "oh well, at least I asked". However, if I worked for a company for years, with no negative marks on my employment record, and saw multiple people getting special treatment that I was being denied, I know I wouldn't feel exceptionally valued as an employee by such a company. Especially if their "policy" seemed to be "most of ya'll can't do this, except for the people we really like or value".

Sorry Ray, but to me your post comes across as you being the one sounding pretty entitled... how dare she want what you have? Doesn't she realize that even asking for a deal as good as you have could jeopardize your good situation? How dare she feel entitled to what you're entitled to?? Only two of you get this good deal and no one else should ask for it or mention it dangit!

After you get fired for not agreeing to full time post it up.

After you get fired for not agreeing to full time post it up.
That probably won't happen (firing). I think Ray asked for, and received, accommodation. This was due to a medical condition.

A related anecdote follows. I sat in a lunch with other employees and executives. It was a fishing expedition (tell us who you are, and so on) with interesting revelations. First gentleman was asked where he was located, meaning in corp office, with client, etc. He is working from home! I know my thoughts were, I want that!! I don't know why he was granted this, but I sure know not to ask why...

Sorry Ray, but to me your post comes across as you being the one sounding pretty entitled... how dare she want what you have?
Now you are being quite silly.... why wouldn't i want her to get what she wants? Shes just a kid with a dream.

Doesn't she realize that even asking for a deal as good as you have could jeopardize your good situation?

Here's where your really wrong..
1. It absolutely could jeopardize my situation -It is a crazy world where management fears litigation (not that she has a leg to dance on)
2. Again I don't give a hoot that she asked for part time. As soon as she brought my name into it i cared. Had she got it I would have said "welcome to the club."
3. My position as a developer is different then hers. I did her job for years and then went technical. Like I said specialized skill set as i know both worlds.
4. They turned down the last person who asked to work part time In her role. That person left.
5. At 63 with a couple of health issues This isn't a long term gig.
I am not angry I think of this as more an case study.. Was she less then 'collegial' as another poster put it?

How dare she feel entitled to what you're entitled to?? Only two of you get this good deal and no one else should ask for it or mention it dangit!

Apologies I know you are trying to make a point but Id like to think I am better then that. I actually like people. I continue to be amazed and humbled by the treatment and opportunities i have and have had at the firm. Entitled? No blessed!
I have learned that each time I get paid my relationship with the firm starts new: I owe them nothing and I they owe me nothing.

Update:
Yesterday I received a data extract job- low and behold I was working with our actress. I swung by and she looked exhausted, rings under her eyes and her usual chipper self was subdued. I can appreciate the struggle of someone whose passion is other than the work. Still my friend Sue the senior manager said if it were up to her would send her packing. "Shes demonstrated she isn't committed to the job" I am thinking shes become high maintenance....

Im hoping the issue is dead and it works out for the actress.

Last edited:
1 year into my E.R. and reading through this thread reminds me of the w*rkplace drama I no longer have to deal with.

1 year into my E.R. and reading through this thread reminds me of the w*rkplace drama I no longer have to deal with.

Understood but drama of little significance. Since I can retire when I want and it isn't a forever gig I think of it as more a case study on people..

Last edited:
Overhead parts of a conversation between upper manager and one of the owners. Unexpectedly, we are hitting a customer wall of some kind at the end of the fiscal year. This could cost the company a significant amount of money. As the owner was asking questions, manager remarked that he could not get a hold of, and talk with, the necessary people in our organization because "they are never here."

That single comment made by upper manager could put an end to a lot of the part-time and telecommuting practices I'm aware of.

I don't think young actress' request has the same influence as my upper manager's comment. But I know that that some arrangements can be spoiled even by a few words spoken at the right time.

Knowing you're ready to go is such a relief. I have that card in my back pocket, too.

A c-note says I know how it will end

A friend once asked our employer for a year's leave of absence. They said "No problem! Enjoy!" Other friends made similar requests and were invited to leave permanently. Why the difference?

The successful petitioner's reason for time off was to work on his father's political campaign. Also, coincidentally, father and son were related to the company's founder. An accident of birth resulted in vastly different sets of options. Go figure.

From a philosophical perspective, I wonder if it's a necessary part of karma that people never get treated exactly the same. Inequity might be the juice that drives human progress, analogous to the way increasing entropy powers thermodynamic processes.

If I were the OP, I think I'd be running FIREcalc again. Even if this episode doesn't squelch your PT privileges, it sounds like it's bothering you more than you need.

But either way, it also sounds like the actress will be moving on sooner than later. Good luck to her! I know a few people in minor-league show biz. It's a struggle even for pretty girls to succeed there.

I always thought the same thing about people I worked with that had children.

They always wanted to take time off when their kids were sick, had to take them to day care, or attend school functions.

Meanwhile, the single guy with no kids had to work...

Don't they know what duct tape and a closet is for ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have enjoyed this thread, Ray. Work has always been full of drama, (I hated it), and I would not worry very much about the situation. Things you have no control over causes anxiety, when in reality it should be the opposite. The actress is learning the rules of the workplace and you get to watch the show. Smile and stay quiet. You got it made in the shade and earned it. Also, keep things in perspective...it's just a job and not your Real Life. The workplace is full of disharmony.

Update:
Yesterday I received a data extract job- low and behold I was working with our actress. I swung by and she looked exhausted, rings under her eyes and her usual chipper self was subdued. I can appreciate the struggle of someone whose passion is other than the work. Still my friend Sue the senior manager said if it were up to her would send her packing. "Shes demonstrated she isn't committed to the job" I am thinking shes become high maintenance....

I'm hoping the issue is dead and it works out for the actress.

This is what I meant by "killing her with kindness"... my approach would have been to empathize with her, to ask how she was doing, to if there was anything I could to do help or just encourage her. I would have perhaps put in a supportive words about her to the senior manager after the senior manager comment. It would have cost me nothing, and there is the chance she might see she was wrong in singling you out.

My perspective is likely biased since it has worked for me, even in situations where I was the subject of direct public racial attacks, and likely led to several surprise promotions/accomodations for me along the way.

This is what I meant by "killing her with kindness"... my approach would have been to empathize with her, to ask how she was doing, to if there was anything I could to do help or just encourage her. I would have perhaps put in a supportive words about her to the senior manager after the senior manager comment. It would have cost me nothing, and there is the chance she might see she was wrong in singling you out.

My perspective is likely biased since it has worked for me, even in situations where I was the subject of direct public racial attacks, and likely led to several surprise promotions/accomodations for me along the way.

The thing is I officially don't know she asked for a part time schedule. In our org it is best I say nothing unless she brings it up.

+1
We women have historically held back from asking for what we want, and it has been partly responsible for wage inequality and failure to advance in the workplace. IMHO she is just being assertive, as millennials have learnt to do.

Our org is completely run by two managing directors, both women - further there is a fully transparent effort to promote women and minorities. The senior MD is a talented, unbiased and completely fair lady. Wages are equal with lots of women in all the key roles. Our actress has only ever worked for women. Her groups supervisors are all women. The management that turned her down are all women. If there's an issue for the women it is that there's no turnover at the Mgr level so limited growth potential after the supervisor level.

Asking isn't a problem for this young lady.. being told no maybe not so much. I cant help but think of the phrase "struggling actress".

Last edited:
Update: Shes appealed to the managing director and apparently received a yes...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom