Happy Winter Solstice

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
All the best as the sun creeps back into our hemisphere! :flowers:

Attachments

• stonehenge.wintersolstice.jpg
    stonehenge.wintersolstice.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 223
"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
--Albert Camus

Yes the days start to get longer, helps the SAD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We should have some kind of a big celebration!! Oh no wait...

And interestingly, although the winter solstice has the shortest daylight period, the sunset has been getting later in the day for the past two weeks. Unfortunately, for those of you who are not yet ER or are just simply morning people, the sunrise will continue to get later until around the 5th of January.

I haven't seen a sunrise in almost three years (since I retired) The 40 years before that I was usually awake 2 or 3 hours before sunrise.

Yes, I always found that getting up and out in the pitch black was somewhat depressing. Always enjoyed the short reprieve that the change back from DST gave with more light in the morning. These days, it almost always seems to be light out when I get moving.

I haven't seen a sunrise in almost three years (since I retired) The 40 years before that I was usually awake 2 or 3 hours before sunrise.
Almost eight years for me, except for a few times watching the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony of a beach-front hotel in Florida. But here at the homestead, not a single time that I can recall, since the last day of w*rk. Prior to that, almost every day, since I rolled out of bed by 5:00 a.m. every morning. If I wake up and it's dark out, I just go back to sleep until mother nature flips on the light switch.

Sunrise? I have vague and distant memories of those. And some photos somewhere.

Imagine this for extra entertainment, as it is difficult to notice 20 millionths of a second
Tonight will be the longest night in the history of Earth - Vox

Interestingly, the link has been corrected to say that this won't be the longest night due to the fact that the earth's rotation has been speeding up slightly over the last 40 years - due largely, wait for it, wait for it.... melting of the polar ice caps. Turns out the night of the winter solstice in 1912 was the longest night.

Interestingly, the link has been corrected to say that this won't be the longest night due to the fact that the earth's rotation has been speeding up slightly over the last 40 years - due largely, wait for it, wait for it.... melting of the polar ice caps. Turns out the night of the winter solstice in 1912 was the longest night.

That was changed since I posted it :confused: Good thing I hadn't planned a party!!

If you are in the continental US, all you need do is walk about 4 feet north and you'll experience a night longer by more than the difference of the 1912 solstice night.

I always wondered how the folks in the southern hemisphere feel about listening to songs like "White Christmas" during the heart of summer.

Supposed to get close to 80 by tomorrow here under the low winter sun. Surf's up!

Whoa, Nellie!

95F degree days with 95% humidity come all too soon to Houston!

That may be, but trust me, here in Michigan, any increase in daylength (and warmth) at this time of year is greatly appreciated. Last winter was absolutely brutal.....

Today is the Winter Solstice.

Starting tomorrow the days get longer in the Northern Hemisphere. Every day will have a bit more sunshine. You folks downs South can still enjoy several months of Summer and a wonderful Fall.

We celebrate solstice every year, as it also happens to be DS birthday!

many/most people always comment or are concerned with the weather. Not me. It's all about the daylight. I don't mind 10F if I had 12+ hours of daylight to enjoy that cold. Also if it is warm outside but only 8 hours or less of sunlight, I'm not happy. Don't belive that I suffer from SAD, but maybe. I just like the sun being out.

Back
Top Bottom