Happy Winter Solstice

Not very happy for me. My furnace stopped working this morning when it was -2 degrees. My leg hurts from shoveling 1.5 inches of snow yesterday and we are getting 5 more tonight. Nothing happy about Winter Solstice IMO.

Actually (picky, picky!) the sun is beginning to creep back towards our hemisphere. The equinox is when it actually moves into our hemisphere.

Not very happy for me. My furnace stopped working this morning when it was -2 degrees. My leg hurts from shoveling 1.5 inches of snow yesterday and we are getting 5 more tonight. Nothing happy about Winter Solstice IMO.

Those circumstances would change my perspective as well! :(

The solstice was 1:28 pm Pacific time, so I can feel the days starting to get longer already. I'm so happy! That low winter sun in my eyes in the morning as I ride the local trail east on my mountain bike is a bugger. I do like the clear winter mornings when I get up to the top of the hills though.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 34
I think it’s interesting how sunrise still goes later for a bit, but the sunsets go more later so the day does lengthen.

A friend of mine wrote a great winter solstice song - living in my part of the world, daring the dark seems entirely sane: Today we had 7 hours, 42 minutes of light - looking forward to more...

Live:

Not live:

It is the day of Sol Invictus, the unconquered sun. The beginning of longer days is well worth a celebration.

Yeah, I don't like the sun hanging so low in the sky. Makes driving harder.

Sounds brutal, aaron. Please update us on the furnace & how you're staying warm.

And interestingly, although the winter solstice has the shortest daylight period, the sunset has been getting later in the day for the past two weeks. Unfortunately, for those of you who are not yet ER or are just simply morning people, the sunrise will continue to get later until around the 5th of January.

Correct on the earliest sunset, that was Dec. 2 to the 11th but the sunrise date depends upon your latitude, as they both do. Here it is around the 10th of January. At 42°N today the day was 2 seconds shorter than yesterday.

many/most people always comment or are concerned with the weather. Not me. It's all about the daylight. I don't mind 10F if I had 12+ hours of daylight to enjoy that cold. Also if it is warm outside but only 8 hours or less of sunlight, I'm not happy. Don't belive that I suffer from SAD, but maybe. I just like the sun being out.

I love early sunsets but I detest late sunrises. Today was 9 hours and 8 minutes.

Sounds brutal, aaron. Please update us on the furnace & how you're staying warm.

The furnace stopped working for 7 hours from 6am-1pm but started working suddenly and has kept working the last 7 hours. When it wasn't working I was getting by with 2 space heaters, a winter hat and a coat. I was about to grab a blanket when it finally kicked in. This has happened before, it randomly stops working for a few hours then suddenly starts back up again.

I think it’s interesting how sunrise still goes later for a bit, but the sunsets go more later so the day does lengthen.

@audreyh1 for all the great information you pass along here, I thought I'd post and explanation of why the earliest sunset is before the Winter Solstice and the latest sunrise is after it.

https://academics.uccs.edu/rtirado/PES_1600_SolarEnergy/Dark_Days_of_Winter.pdf

The Dark Days of Winter

The period between the first week in December and the first week in January could well be called the "dark
days" for the mid-northern latitudes.
At latitude 40 degrees north, earliest sunset occurs around 8 December each year, and latest sunrise occurs
around 5 January.
The day with the least amount of daylight is the winter solstice, the first day of winter, around 21 December.
Why are not all these dates the same?
The answer is not simple. There are two effects which, together, determine the local time of Sun phenomena,
such as sunrise, sunset, and transit.
One is called the Equation of Time; the other is the Sun's declination.
The Equation of Time is a way of describing the variation in the time of Sun-related phenomena within our
standard 24-hour timekeeping system.
In any time zone, the Equation of Time is simply the difference between 12:00 noon on a clock and the actual
time of the Sun's transit (sundial noon) across the central meridian of the time zone.
The time between successive transits of the Sun - the length of the solar day - varies considerably over the year.
It is determined by two factors, both dependent on the position of the Earth in its orbit.
Suffice it to say that from mid-November to early February these two factors work together to make the solar
day longer than 24 hours: in late December, as much as 30 seconds longer than 24 hours.
Since we don't adjust our clocks for this effect, the Sun's transit moves later and later each day during this
period.
All other things being equal, the times of all Sun phenomena are tied directly to the time of transit.
But all other things are not equal.
The Sun's declination, its angular distance above or below the equator, changes on a yearly cycle, causing our
seasons.
The Sun's declination determines the maximum height of the Sun in the sky on any given day; hence, it also
determines the azimuth of the sunrise and sunset points and the length of time the Sun is above the horizon.
Most of us know the Sun is at its "lowest point in the sky" on the first day of winter, so we expect the Sun to be
above the horizon the least amount of time that day.
So two effects determine the times of sunrise and sunset: the Equation of Time and the Sun's declination.
But their relative magnitudes vary.
In late December, the daily rate of change of the Sun's declination is quite small and is, of course, zero at the
December solstice; "solstice" means "Sun stationary".
However, the daily rate of change of the Equation of Time reaches a maximum just a few days later.
Thus in late December it is the Equation of Time that has the dominant influence over the changes in sunrise
and sunset times from one day to the next.
In fact, the Equation of Time dominates, at latitude 40 degrees north, from about 8 December to 5 January.
Outside of these few weeks, the Sun's declination changes are dominant.
These two dates represent the dates on which the magnitudes of the two effects "cross over" at this latitude.
(At higher latitudes, the crossover dates are closer to the solstice since the declination effect is greater there.)
The 8 December crossover day is the date of earliest sunset.
Why? In the weeks before solstice, the two effects act in opposite directions on the time of sunset: the
declination effect pulling it earlier and the Equation of Time pushing it later.
On 8 December the Equation of Time begins to dominate and sunset begins to move later.
Meanwhile both effects are pushing sunrise later and later.
After solstice, the situation reverses.
Both effects push sunset later.
But for sunrise, the declination effect now pulls it earlier while the Equation of Time effect continues to push it
later.
The Equation of Time prevails until 5 January, when the declination effect takes over and sunrises begin to
move earlier.
So 5 January is the date of latest sunrise.
A similar situation occurs at the summer solstice, although the effect is not as extreme.
Solstice occurs around 21 June, but at latitude 40 degrees north the earliest sunrise occurs around 14 June and
the latest sunset around 28 June.

Those dates are probably for 40°N, the dates are not accurate for my location at 42°N

Last edited:
Last edited:
One of my favorite quirks of astronomy is how the sunrise/sunset times seemingly rebuff the solstices. I'm glad Graybeard and Audrey brought that up.

DW and I like to watch the sunrise out our back window every morning, and watch how it moves among the trees, day by day.

Anyone remember those "figure 8" things on the globe? That's the analemma, and it was designed to help work out this difference for those who used sundials.

Wikipedia has a long discussion on this and it is pretty cool if you are into math problems.

One last thought: the eccentricity of the earth orbit is very slowly changing on a cycle of 100,000 years, and our little blue top is wobbling on a cycle of 26,000 years, so if we pick up this conversation in 13,000 years, we'll have different sunrise and sunset times. :)

Wikipedia - Analemma

Analemma_pattern_in_the_sky.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that your furnace stopped and hope you get it working soon.
About 35 years ago mine gave it up after a 30 year run. No money to get it fixed for 3 years. Even though I live in North Florida it does get cold and freezing during the winter. It was sleeping bag time on the floor (not much furniture after the divorce). Getting a shower was particularly invigorating each morning. I got a new heat pump right before I got married again. Although she wanted to get married it wasn't going to happen without the heat pump.

Cheers!

Sorry to hear that your furnace stopped and hope you get it working soon.

About 35 years ago mine gave it up after a 30 year run. No money to get it fixed for 3 years. Even though I live in North Florida it does get cold and freezing during the winter. It was sleeping bag time on the floor (not much furniture after the divorce). Getting a shower was particularly invigorating each morning. I got a new heat pump right before I got married again. Although she wanted to get married it wasn't going to happen without the heat pump.

Cheers!
This story would fit right in with the "live like a student" thread. [emoji6]

Today I will smudge with my homegrown white sage, and beat my drum to start Winter. Happy solstice day.

Back
Top Bottom