Harder fun then Wordle: chess puzzles (free site)

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Chess puzzles take more thinking then Wordle but they can be fun if you don't take your results seriously. Having the right attitude helps a lot.

The Lichess site (pronounced Lee-chess, https://lichess.org/training ) offers free puzzles and lots more. If you don't know chess or are rusty at it, head over to their Learn->Chess Basics pages. The Lichess creators have said this site will always be free.

Here is an example of what you will see in the Puzzles section:

image4.jpg

Your task is to play as black and find the best move. Not just a good move but the best move. This particular puzzle took 3 moves to complete. Some puzzles will take fewer moves to complete and do not always result in Checkmate. You can see that at the end of this puzzle black has exchanged queens and also captured a rook while checking the white king. At this point you could even click on the target icon in the lower left to continue the game against the computer with move hints available. Pretty slick.

If you click "View the solution" (lower right) you can see the answer. Then you will also see the puzzle rating in the upper left. This one is rated 1359. It was played by 2 very high rated players with online game ratings above 2000 in fast (Blitz) chess. Some of the chess players on Lichess are incredible and include Grand Masters. I think a rating of 1500 is about average chess capabilities for the thousands of people who play here. The upper right shows a full game in chess algebraic notation. See Learn if you want to know about this common notation.

I recommend registering because then the puzzles can be adjusted to your rating. If you start out as a below average chess player it will adjust to your current rating after some runs (I think). There are other settings too which you can experiment with. There is a whole lot more available on this site including, for instance, watching other players games. For example, see Watch-> Current games -> Classical and then click on one of those games to view as a spectator.

My journey on Lichess: I started out about 1 year ago refreshing my chess knowledge after decades of not playing. I've played hundreds of full games (see Play tab) online with people from all over the world. Some players are very skilled and have played thousands of games. You can actually just watch them play and look at all of their stats too. It's kind of an open book.

I found it too stressful to play against other players and loosing can be a downer although I've had my share of wins too. So after a few weeks of disengaging, now I am just coming back to it and playing puzzles. Probably a few puzzles a day when I want some brain activity. :)

Nerdle 13 5/6

����⬛⬛⬛️��⬛⬛
��⬛️��⬛⬛️������
��������⬛️������
������⬛️��������
����������������

https://nerdlegame.com #nerdle

Just looking at the board - so first fork the K/R? White K must move, take white Q with black Q (check) White K must capture Black Q, black knight takes white R(check). Black knight can go pawn hunting so white concedes?

Just looking at the board - so first fork the K/R? White K must move, take white Q with black Q (check) White K must capture Black Q, black knight takes white R(check). Black knight can go pawn hunting so white concedes?

You have the right ideas. On each move Lichess will tell you if you should continue or if you blew it. I try to come up with the sequence before venturing my first move on a multi-move sequence. This puzzle ends when the black Knight takes white's Rook while checking the King.

If you want to investigate further into this game you click on the target and start playing the computer with available hints (for your move) along the way. Sometimes I do this just to see why the further moves would lead to the previous sequence being the best move. That is, when it isn't obvious.

You have the right ideas. On each move Lichess will tell you if you should continue or if you blew it. I try to come up with the sequence before venturing my first move on a multi-move sequence. This puzzle ends when the black Knight takes white's Rook while checking the King.

If you want to investigate further into this game you click on the target and start playing the computer with available hints (for your move) along the way. Sometimes I do this just to see why the further moves would lead to the previous sequence being the best move. That is, when it isn't obvious.

Thanks for posting this. To be clear, the 3rd move I suggested was as bolded above.

This is not checkmate, correct? Did I miss an easy checkmate in 3?

Thanks for posting this. To be clear, the 3rd move I suggested was as bolded above.

This is not checkmate, correct? Did I miss an easy checkmate in 3?

I think you are correct and there is no quick checkmate. But I don't think one can go back to that puzzle to check it out.

I just realized that the image in the OP was of the starting puzzle. I meant to post the end of the puzzle. Here is the end of another puzzle and you can see the Rating (upper left) as well as how many times it has been played. Also you see the little target icon (lower right) that I mentioned previously if you want to continue with this as a game with the computer.

You can see the 2 moves it took to solve this problem (chess notation, on right with green check marks.

image3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom