Have You Ever Had Your Credit Card # Stolen?

Have You Ever Had Your Credit Card # Stolen?

• Yes

Votes: 109 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 89 44.9%

• Total voters
I doubt they will be able to get it to you by tomorrow - they have to mfg. it - then you might have to sign for it - if you miss the mail person you will need to go to the post office.
Best bet the BofA closest to where you will be for a couple of days.

That's what I would have thought, too, but we are at a motel right now, and BofA said it would arrive tomorrow morning. We'll see.

Where are you now, Dex?

If BofA said so, it should work. I'm sure they have to deal with this all the time.

Audrey

No, never had my cc stolen. However, Penfed is fast on locking out your card if you don't tell them you are going on vacation. Last time on vacation they did just that. Had to go through the process of talking with their fraud department.

That's what I would have thought, too, but we are at a motel right now, and BofA said it would arrive tomorrow morning. We'll see.

Where are you now, Dex?

I was told my new cc would arrive today - Fri - but I knew that couldn't happen. I only spoke with the fraud dept on Wed - about 6pm Colorado time. They would have to mfg it and then mail it. But, all and all the cc co. is doing a good job - Capitalone

Right now I'm in central Colorado - between Denver & Aspen.

I don't expect to get my card until Tuesday. The fraud dept called me this morning to confirm the RV park address. I received an email last night saying the card was sent.

It was fraud, and now I'm sitting in an Iowa Welcome Center trying to figure a way of getting the new card tomorrow (Monday is Memorial day). They'll send it overnight, but I need an address. We don't know what campground we're going to get a spot at yet. I'd send it to a BofA but they'll be closed. Any ideas?

Al, were they able to give you any info as to how the fraud happened? I'm curious if it was something that happened while you are on your trip, like if someone stole your number when you used it, or if it was grabbed from your computer when you were logged on to a public network.

Been through this twice in the last nine months. Once on a trip, once not.
Credit card numbers go through a number of trusted processors on each transaction. OT a little but most of us should be able to remember when the entire card number was printed on the receipt. There are lots of opportunities for the criminals to accumulate card numbers. Many of these become known when the perp tries to use the card number and is not able to give other identifying information associated with the account, like cardholder's zip code or address or security code on the back of the card. Don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that many mom and pop merchants are using poorly secured wireless LANs, but can't say this could be a majority source for stealing card numbers.

Also suspect the card companies disclose as little information as possible about how they are detecting fraud. If they told everybody how they are detecting fraud that would give the criminals a leg up on their system. Part of security is not telling how the system works.

I have set my credit card account to send me an email alert whenever a charge is made sans the physical card (such as any online or telephone merchandise order). This allows a quicker response to any funny business.

This week someone tried to use my cc number to order merchandise with two different merchants. I called one of the merchants and it appears that the orders didn't go through due to not having the security code from the back of the card but I don't know if every online merchant requires that.

The new credit card is coming in 5 - 7 business days. It's a hassle.

Yes, It is a hassle. For most of the autopay companies, changing the number is easy; it simply involves visiting a web site and changing it. For one or two, most notably Blue Cross, you have to call, confirm by mail, respond to several letters, and wait a billing cycle.

From now on, I'll use ShopSafe for all online purchases. I don't like it, because the Shopsafe number expire after a year, it's cumbersome to generate them, and I have to type in the numbers manually (rather than copy/paste). But it should do a good job of preventing this in the future.

I'm now sitting in the Econolodge office waiting for FedEx.

I'm now sitting in the Econolodge office waiting for FedEx.

That sounds like a PITA. Maybe you can think of something fun to do in the local area, and come back later to see if the package arrived. Then if the package is late (hope it isn't), you can just stay an extra night there without ruining your trip.

Now, how does that work? Can't the cops just show up and arrest the passenger??

It depends how anxious the local cops are to go after CC fraud.

Not how it works everywhere.

About 15 years ago I was working as a criminal investigator for a medium size municipality and was assigned a case in which a woman left her purse atop her car in a shopping mall parking lot, drove away, purse fell off and credit card was taken, everything else recovered at "lost and found". Card was used at said mall and before the woman got home to get a call from the credit card company / realized her card was taken about $9,000.00 in electronics purchases had been made at stores with very good quality surveillance cameras. I had suspects identified and was ready to move forward on charges and property recovery in very short order. Felony case closures (due to the amount) as simple as this one are relatively few and far between and I was pretty happy to have one more of those to add to my "stats" for the month.

As the charges are removed from the card-holders balance, they are not the victim, but rather the card issuing bank and not Visa or Mastercard are ultimately the victim suffering the loss in the case. In order to file charges I have to list a victim and contact for any court proceedings. Just by dumb luck, the credit card issuing bank maintained a LARGE facility in our jurisdiction and I promptly contacted loss prevention representatives from the bank about the case.

The banks response? Dont bother with the case anymore, we will just write-off the loss. Perhaps they dont understand, I just need someone who works for the company to be able to show up for court, I'll settle for a janitor (seriously), just someone who can show up in court to basically say they represent the bank, I have everything else covered. They wanted absolutely no part of prosecuting the theives for such a "miniscule amount" as $9,000.00 (again, this was about 15 years ago).

I often wondered what amount they deemed worth their time pursuing ref: charges / prosecution.

Today I got a letter from HSBC. It said...We have been notified that your Account may have been comprimised. In response to this notification, and to avoid potential unauthorized use of your Account, we have issued you a new Account number and credit card.

I checked my account on-line and didn't see anything fraudulent. Then, I called them to make sure the letter I got really did come from them. It did. The rep said she didn't have any additional info to give me, but I would receive new cards in the mail and should destroy the old ones once I receive them.

I know they are looking out after my/their interest, but I sure would like to know what happened.

Never had any stolen cards or fraudulent charges on any of my cards. I shop a lot (we use our cards for all purchases to track spending to the penny), travel a lot and internet purchases are SOP for me. I have never taken any extraordinary measures on the internet but I am watchful when handing the card over to waiters and store clerks. Guess I have just been lucky.:whistle:

2fer

I checked my account on-line and didn't see anything fraudulent. Then, I called them to make sure the letter I got really did come from them. It did. The rep said she didn't have any additional info to give me, but I would receive new cards in the mail and should destroy the old ones once I receive them.

I know they are looking out after my/their interest, but I sure would like to know what happened.
Usually when this happens it's because there was a security breach on a secure site where your credit card info may have been on file (these are the ones the hacker may have been able to access). When a site like this is hacked, the list of affected credit card numbers is furnished to the issuing credit card companies. And if your card number was on it, chances are the issuer will pre-emptively invalidate this card number and send you a replacement with a new number in a few days.

Hey...thanks Ziggy. :) That makes sense.

I'm glad to know they are taking care of me....'cause I sure need it.....

I lost my card one time while on vacation and it was a real pain as I had to cancel it. Since then I have always kept 2 cards - kept in different places even when traveling in case something similar happens again.

Some years ago, we were charged for a box of 144 condoms, sent to an address in Miami.

Since the purchaser hadn't even had the grace to invite us to the party, we declined to pay.

There were no other oddball charges, but we asked for a new card number anyway.

Some years ago, we were charged for a box of 144 condoms, sent to an address in Miami.

Since the purchaser hadn't even had the grace to invite us to the party, we declined to pay.
Spoil sports......:LOL:

Hmm, I don't think I would want to go to a party knowing 144 condoms were there..:eek:

Of course if they gave them out as party favors....:whistle:

Hmm, I don't think I would want to go to a party knowing 144 condoms were there..:eek:

I remember buying a condom as teenager from a machine in a men's restroom and hopefully carried to every party I went to. Eventually I threw it away when it was well past its sell-by date. :ROFLMAO:

I remember buying a condom as teenager from a machine in a men's restroom and hopefully carried to every party I went to. Eventually I threw it away when it was well past its sell-by date. :ROFLMAO:
They have sell by/expiration dates? Uh oh.....:eek:

They have sell by/expiration dates? Uh oh.....:eek:

They certainly do :D

What's the similarity between a condom and a financial institution?

...... one prick and you're scr**ed.... :LOL:

I am watchful when handing the card over to waiters and store clerks.

What is it that you watch for?

I've now returned home and changed my credit card numbers for Blue Cross, Paypal, Amazon, AT&T, Kallcents, Gasoline cardlock, and the propane company.

All could be changed with a few minutes work online except for Blue Cross. BC says that by law they must have a signed affidavit before taking money from your account, so you have to call, have them send you something, etc, and pay a paper bill in the meantime.

From now on I only use the shopsafe virtual cards for online transactions. I hadn't done this after the first fraud since it is significantly less convenient. The shopsafe numbers expire after only one year, and you can't copy and paste the numbers.

I answered no. Lucky I guess.
I only have 2 credit cards in my name, and 1 jointly with dh2b.
I periodically go through and cancel those 1 or 2 low credit limit retail cards (get a discount on today's purchase type) that I have signed up for.

I just watch the employee with it in his or her hand at the stores, that they do not write anything down or copy it. At restaurants, I try to keep an eye on them, letting them know that I am watching and make sure that I am aware of how long the card is out of my sight but it is not always possible. I have been lucky for sure.:rolleyes:
2fer

Back
Top Bottom