Heading under 10,000 on the way!

PS. Maybe one of these days, I will post a song in my native language. :eek:

Nah! People won't understand to appreciate it anyway.

Hey, now you have me curious! Give it a whirl. Otherwise we might have to start a "guess NW Bound's native language contest".

Anyone here bought at the day's low, and want to brag? I myself have been busy with a yard project, and have not bought nor sold anything in a few weeks. My last few trades were "buy, buy, buy", and I have not made money yet. Want to buy more, but either have to go on margin, or cash out my I-bonds and pay tax. So, in a way, I am out of ammo, although only (yes only) 72% in stocks.
It's looking more and more like our life will be reconfigured in the next few months such that I won't nearly have to take as much market risk as I have been. If all goes as we hope it will, I'll probably be more like 30/70 or 40/60 into the future, and not even worry about the market providing me with a retirement any more.

I just started contributing to my 401(k) this January, for this job I started only last summer. I was contributing only about $800 every two weeks. I was expecting to be at this job for another 2-5 years, but decided a couple of months ago to ER instead due to a number of reasons that all gelled together. So, I still had a ways to go before I hit the maximum allowed for a 50-plus-year-old for the year. My employer says I can have 100% of each remaining paycheck go to my 401(k), up to the annual max. It looks like I'll have about another $15,000 or so remaining that will all go to the 401.

Just to be clear... that is not possible as you have to pay your SS taxes... but you can put in up to your 'take home pay'...

Our company limited it to 90% just so we would not have to get into the exact percent you can do... ie, you might have maxed SS, but still need to pay medicaire...

I have been shamelessly pushing French music... Did that tick off anyone? ;) Hey, I try to balance that with some American music too, you know. In fact, I am sure I post more American music than French songs. :)

PS. Maybe one of these days, I will post a song in my native language. :eek:

Nah! People won't understand to appreciate it anyway.

Shameless, just shameless :D. Edith Piaf is rolling over in her grave.

Maybe there a lot of people here who speak NWBound-ese--you'll never know til you post that YouTube clip of yourself belting out your national anthem, as REWahoo said, in front of the RV.

It's looking more and more like our life will be reconfigured in the next few months such that I won't nearly have to take as much market risk as I have been. If all goes as we hope it will, I'll probably be more like 30/70 or 40/60 into the future, and not even worry about the market providing me with a retirement any more.

Now that's intriguing--what's the deal-io?

If the Euro stays where it is, I would expect the dividends to drop around 15-20% from last year just due to foreign exchange. A one euro dividend payment last year provided $1.40-$1.45 in USD. Today you get $1.22.

Probably not a bad dividend play either way though.

True, the currency could hurt my divs but I'm fine with the risk. I am far more afraid of having so many eggs in the dollar basket. I could still be working for another 30 years and my w-2 salary is by far my greatest source of income right now. Then when I do get to age 60+ a huge portion of my income will come from my pension and social security.

I may be an odd ball when it comes to risk. I feel safer spreading my money out globally in equities than I do concentrating it all in the US, even if it was all in treasury bonds.

Just to be clear... that is not possible as you have to pay your SS taxes... but you can put in up to your 'take home pay'...

Our company limited it to 90% just so we would not have to get into the exact percent you can do... ie, you might have maxed SS, but still need to pay medicaire...

I haven't seen the paystubs yet, but I'm expecting it is 100% of "take home." (My employer was supposed to have started it the last paycheck, but inadvertently took out only $100.00 not 100%. :mad: They said it's fixed now, and will apply to my May 28 check and my severance payment.)

Now that's intriguing--what's the deal-io?
Well, we're still not sure it's going to happen and there are still hoops left to jump through, but it looks like my wife may be entering the ministry in the next 6-12 months through a program that provides an alternative track to ordination (i.e. not through several years in seminary). She just jumped through a pretty big hoop last week and is still on track.

I've hinted at this in the past but haven't said too much about it in detail for fear of jinxing it. :)

Well, we're still not sure it's going to happen and there are still hoops left to jump through, but it looks like my wife may be entering the ministry in the next 6-12 months through a program that provides an alternative track to ordination (i.e. not through several years in seminary). She just jumped through a pretty big hoop last week and is still on track.

I've hinted at this in the past but haven't said too much about it in detail for fear of jinxing it. :)

I'll pray that works out. Then you'll share her "holy-funded" retirement benefits? :angel:

I'll pray that works out. Then you'll share her "holy-funded" retirement benefits? :angel:
Sort of, yeah. The pastors in this group operate on one-year (usually renewed) contracts where negotiated total compensation has a lot of moving parts -- base pay, health and disability insurance, pension contributions and housing allowances chief among them. There's a lot of wiggle room. So for now, we could negotiate higher base pay (and no health insurance) while I have Megacorp health insurance, but if I lost that we could then negotiate the next contract with lower base pay and group health benefits through the church. As far as I can tell, pension contributions of 6-12% of base pay through the churchwide pension plan is fairly standard.

But it is going to serious muck with our taxes. Taxes for the clergy are often quite complicated. Even though they are ordained by the churchwide body, "employed" by a congregation and receive benefits in most cases, they are self-employed for tax purposes and have a lot of unusual requirements and exemptions in tax law.

But first, more hoops over the next 2-3 months....

Sort of, yeah. The pastors in this group operate on one-year (usually renewed) contracts where negotiated total compensation has a lot of moving parts -- base pay, health and disability insurance, pension contributions and housing allowances chief among them. There's a lot of wiggle room. So for now, we could negotiate higher base pay (and no health insurance) while I have Megacorp health insurance, but if I lost that we could then negotiate the next contract with lower base pay and group health benefits through the church. As far as I can tell, pension contributions of 6-12% of base pay through the churchwide pension plan is fairly standard.

But it is going to serious muck with our taxes. Taxes for the clergy are often quite complicated. Even though they are ordained by the churchwide body, "employed" by a congregation and receive benefits in most cases, they are self-employed for tax purposes and have a lot of unusual requirements and exemptions in tax law.

No vow of poverty required, I take it?

No vow of poverty required, I take it?
If you knew what the base compensation was for a half-time call in these parts, you wouldn't be asking such a snarky and cynical question. This is not a program for the more affluent, larger congregations which have no trouble getting folks out of Seminary (and who often have $50,000 in student loan debt and can't afford to take the half-time calls). It's for small, rural congregations whose annual budget (for *everything*) is less than many folks here earn in a year. These are the calls that can't compensate enough to attract seminary grads.

Last edited:
If you knew what the base compensation was for a half-time call in these parts, you wouldn't be asking such a snarky and cynical question. This is not a program for the more affluent, larger congregations which have no trouble getting folks out of Seminary (and who often have $50,000 in student loan debt and can't afford to take the half-time calls). It's for small, rural congregations whose annual budget (for *everything*) is less than many folks here earn in a year.

I was poking a bit of fun, but as a friend spent years in the ministry making diddly, I have some idea what the pay is like. I am under no illusion that your DW will be cavorting about in red Prada slippers like Der Popenfuhrer.

Is there training for you to step into the role of minister's spouse? There are those traditional expectations of the role, singing in the choir, teaching Sunday School, leading the ladies' meetings, running the bake sales, etc. What does the minister's husband do in these modern days?

Ziggy, good luck to both of you and if it is what you both want, then I really hope it happens.

Ziggy, good luck to both of you and if it is what you both want, then I really hope it happens.
She feels really energized about this and for the first time it feels like she knows what she wants to do "when she grows up" -- even if it means "growing up" at age 41. :)

We'd likely have to relocate somewhere in the region, and while I reserve the right to "veto" any place I really, really don't want to live, I don't suspect it would come to that. And as far as my w*rk goes, all I need is high speed Internet and a telephone, and we'd likely be within a couple hours of a company office if I had to go in for some reason.

And as for what I want, mostly for her to be happy... but consistent with me being able to pull the plug at a reasonable age and maybe even "retire" before she does. And if she liked her work, she's made it clear to me she's okay with that.

We shall see. Again, several hoops remain but one of the biggest hoops was navigated successfully last week. And I don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Zig, have you thought this through completely? Are you going to be able to keep your nose clean and fulfill your obligations as the parson's proper, upstanding spouse? :cool:

Zig, have you thought this through completely? Are you going to be able to keep your nose clean and fulfill your obligations as the parson's proper, upstanding spouse? :cool:

Also maybe you would have to sell your stone house and live in a parsonage. :(

With a bag over his head.
Per your suggestion, I have changed my avatar. :cool:

But it will be only temporary, as I like my earlier one better. :D

PS. Did someone mention Edith Piaf? She was a favorite of my mom, but was really before my time. I am still young, you know?

Back
Top Bottom