Healthcare Ministries and Selfpay - Options

Experiences with Liberty HealthShare ministry

Just found this thread and thought I might add another data point. We're in our twentieth year of semi-retirement, keeping about two hours a day of part-time work, so no benefits. We're just starting our third year with Liberty HealthShare. We've had pretty good results. We've gone over our $1000 Annual Unshared Amount (annual deductible if it were insurance) every year and haven't had any problems getting everything beyond that paid for. Some providers will bill Liberty directly just as if it were insurance. Others won't take their rates, so we negotiate the self-pay discount and send the receipts to Liberty for reimbursement. Whenever there has been a question about coverage or payments, we've just called into LHS and straightened it out quickly. Our monthly payment is $299 for the two of us, including the extended $2M lifetime max, which is covered by some kind of third party insurer. The details are on their website.

When we compared the different ministries a few years ago, Liberty was the most religiously "liberal", not requiring a narrow, doctrinaire statement of beliefs, but more of an agreement in common values. It's obviously not for everyone, but if your lifestyle is already consistent with their guidelines and you don't have ongoing preexisting conditions, it could work for you. I have only heard of positive experiences from the few people I know that are members. FYI, we just got an email mentioning that Liberty HealthShare has just reached a milestone of 100,000 members, so that's another data point to consider.

This will be worth following closely to see what happens to the "pre-existing" condition rules of ACA.. Will it stay as it is, with no restrictions except for open enrollments dates, or will it only overlook them if you have "continuous underwritten insurance coverage".

In my mind, one of the big bonus points for Liberty and such is that if your health care needs change dramatically after one year you can immediately switch to traditional insurance if you so desire.

Update: We dropped our Florida Blue Insurance back in November 2016 after our annual medical appointments and went with CHM. The premiums with Florida Blue had risen to $1450 per month, with a deductible of $7150 or $7250..... As a result we pay the $300 Per month, plus $50 Per quarter for the Brothers Keeper...... DW had to visit the DR this past summer, in MO, Office Visit was $110.... As well I went to the Dr here in FL last week for a regular checkup to get a script for maintenance medication for Asthma, Dr. discounted the Office Visit 60% as I am self pay ........ So far so good with CHM..... no regrets

Update: We dropped our Florida Blue Insurance back in November 2016 after our annual medical appointments and went with CHM. ...

Thanks for the update! Will be following your experiences as I am in the process of evaluating our healthcare future until age 65.

Has anyone joined a health share org in 2017?
Any further reports from anyone already on for a while?
I am considering enrolling my wife in Medi-Share.
I can reluctantly afford to pay higher premium for a good plan BUT, the only ACA provider in my GA county is Ambetter. Only 1 or the 2 big hospitals accepts it and they have a limited number of doctors because they have a poor record of paying their bills.

I signed up for Samaritan for 2018. Medishare was a close second. I finally hit a wall with Obamacare. Self-employed, generally healthy, currently have 2 kids (21 & 22) on plan. Bottom line, I will save almost $18k in 2018 just on premiums so I will give it a try.

Medical Sharing Ministries Comparison

We signed up with Medishare when I retired in April 2017 after talking with two families we know well who use it. Premiums for my wife and I are $416/mo for the plan with the highest annual household portion of $10,000. The $416 could be $80 less if I lower my cholesterol. Since we're nowhere near 10,000 in medical expenses this year I don't have experience with getting reimbursed.

I created a Google doc in January comparing Medishare, Samaritan, CHM, Liberty, and Altrua. The prices may already be out of date you can follow the links to each ministry's web site for current figures. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RMjWWgqvomwJYTKtt0zPrfyjQq1xRuG2JVqAf1dVFyw/edit#gid=0

We signed up with Medishare when I retired in April 2017 after talking with two families we know well who use it. Premiums for my wife and I are $416/mo for the plan with the highest annual household portion of $10,000. The $416 could be $80 less if I lower my cholesterol. Since we're nowhere near 10,000 in medical expenses this year I don't have experience with getting reimbursed.

Thanks for posting the comparison. Your spreadsheet list both a healthy and standard share cost but neither matches your premium above. Are you saying your high cholesterol caused the standard share cost to go up? Compared to Medishare Liberty seems to have a much lower annual deductible ($1K vs $10K) along with a lower premium. Is there a reason why you didn't select Liberty?

further update

Rec'd 2nd Statement from Liberty. $900 bill (this would be the MRI). From the statement, we are having to pay $97. At this point, since I haven't received the bill, it looks likes that is because we hit the deductible from the brace, but I haven't received that statement yet. So total bills have been around $1,500, and it looks like our payments will be $500 as advertised.

That being said, we are still staying on the company group plan that covers the rest of the family. Our premiums are rising 14.7% to about $1250/mo, this is a Silver, HMO-HSA qualified plan that is covering 5 people. There are some internal, company-politics involved. Next year, there is a high likelihood that we move the entire family to Liberty. I pay about 56% of the above premiums.

Any further update on Liberty? I just signed up this past week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom