Hearing

With digital technology and miniaturization it seems the hearing aid industry is nothing more than a huge rip off for the baby boomer generation.

Hi,

I have worn hearing aids for seven years (my dad and brother also wear them). My first pair cost $4200 and now they do not work so well. Audiologist says my hearing has deteriorated and had me try a newer pair. They were awesome - though everything seems to work much better in his office. Best news is my insurance pays $1600 per ear these days. (Insurance paid nothing when I got my first pair). We are not near to meeting $3000 family deductible, so it will still mean a serious cash outlay.

I do not need them so much while at home, though do not quiz my husband about that. Apparently, my hearing loss is very common type -I can hear low sounds, but not higher pitches. I can (mostly) hear my DH, but never hear alarms, microwave, phone, etc.

Our closest Costco is 200 mi away and I am sad about that after reading these posts.

I have always used a local audiologist, but have considered visiting the "hearing expert centers" whose ads arrive in our mailbox fairly frequently.

Honestly, I do not like wearing them. They make things sound funny. And, they are not supposed to replicate "real sound" ; I read the brochure. But, sometimes, you just really need them for what they can do.

Hi,

I have worn hearing aids for seven years (my dad and brother also wear them). My first pair cost $4200 and now they do not work so well. Audiologist says my hearing has deteriorated and had me try a newer pair. They were awesome - though everything seems to work much better in his office. Best news is my insurance pays $1600 per ear these days. (Insurance paid nothing when I got my first pair). We are not near to meeting $3000 family deductible, so it will still mean a serious cash outlay.

I do not need them so much while at home, though do not quiz my husband about that. Apparently, my hearing loss is very common type -I can hear low sounds, but not higher pitches. I can (mostly) hear my DH, but never hear alarms, microwave, phone, etc.

Our closest Costco is 200 mi away and I am sad about that after reading these posts.

I have always used a local audiologist, but have considered visiting the "hearing expert centers" whose ads arrive in our mailbox fairly frequently.

Honestly, I do not like wearing them. They make things sound funny. And, they are not supposed to replicate "real sound" ; I read the brochure. But, sometimes, you just really need them for what they can do.

Your situation made me laugh about my assistant when I was working. I would have several ladies express their dissatisfaction with him because they said he would occasionally ignore or not respond to a question directed to him.
I thought they were nuts as he was the nicest person there. Then a few months later he comes to work with hearing aides. I thought it odd because he never had a problem hearing or discussing anything with me. He told me found out he couldn't hear the high pitches. No wonder he ignored them, he never heard them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your situation made me laugh about my assistant when I was working. I would have several ladies express their dissatisfaction with him because they said he would occasionally ignore or not respond to a question directed to him.
I thought they were nuts as he was the nicest person there. Then a few months later he comes to work with hearing aides. I thought it odd because he never had a problem hearing or discussing anything with me. He told me found out he couldn't hear the high pitches. No wonder he ignored them, he never heard them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, it was them, not him! :cool:

(My family deductible is $5000, not $3000 as I posted earlier).

We have a Sam's Club about 25 min away. Guess it would be wise to at least stop in their hearing aid spot and talk to them.....

I started having 3 problems, hearing MsG, birds(bird watcher), and rattlesnakes. So I heard about a product a personal sound amplifier.

Personal Sound Amplifiers | Sound World Solutions

It looks like a Bluetooth phone receiver, and it can be that too. It has an app that lets me change like 10 different levels of pitch/sound all from a smartphone or tablet. Has 2 rechargeable batteries that last 8-9 hours each. I love it because I don't have to travel 2-3 hours to an audiologist to get adjusted. All for $250-300.

The product was developed for rural countries, where an audiologist is no where to be seen, but a smartphone may be in their back pocket.

Ms G is happy with it and when momma is happy.....................

So the software checks your hearing and adjusts the device (acts as the audiologist)?

Is this a trick to get me to buy a smart phone? I definitely have an interest. It sounds easy to use once it is set up. I would like it if I could get my mother interested.

I'm certain I'll HAVE TO get hearing aids in the next couple of years. My hearing has deteriorated. I went to my ENT and his audiologist ran formal hearing tests.
She pushed the $4000 pair, which I had just sampled (there was a noticeable improvement). Conveniently, the next lower priced pair was currently out of stock so I couldn't compare. I decided to wait as my general quality of life has not been affected. Yes, I now use closed captions on my TV about 1/3 of the time, and just started using those hearing assistance devices at Broadway plays.
But I suspect it'll get worse. Problem I have is I can't trust objectivity of anyone who tests hearing. I don't belong to Costco, but when the time comes I think I'll join just for the hearing aids.

Several folks have mentioned not having a Costco membership so feel they can not access their hearing aid values.
It is my understanding that like their Pharmacy (which is consistently rated highly for values), you have access to the hearing dept without a membership. It is my impression is something about being a medical service so can not be limited. Now, this may be a WA State regulation, but suggest you call your nearest Costco and ask the question there.
FWIW, my DW just got hearing aids at Costco after she had a professional audiologist complete a full assessment (covered by Medicare). The technician customized her devices to match the audiologists results. She chose the Kirkland brand (made by Siemans), which come with a 3 year warranty and no charge cleaning and modifications whenever needed at no charge. Cost was $1800 for two ears. In the ear with the most lost, she immediately noticed the improvement, and less so in the other ear. She has only worn a day now so we expect to have them further tuned as she get's accustomed to them
Nwsteve

Several folks have mentioned not having a Costco membership so feel they can not access their hearing aid values.
It is my understanding that like their Pharmacy (which is consistently rated highly for values), you have access to the hearing dept without a membership. It is my impression is something about being a medical service so can not be limited. Now, this may be a WA State regulation, but suggest you call your nearest Costco and ask the question there.
FWIW, my DW just got hearing aids at Costco after she had a professional audiologist complete a full assessment (covered by Medicare). The technician customized her devices to match the audiologists results. She chose the Kirkland brand (made by Siemans), which come with a 3 year warranty and no charge cleaning and modifications whenever needed at no charge. Cost was $1800 for two ears. In the ear with the most lost, she immediately noticed the improvement, and less so in the other ear. She has only worn a day now so we expect to have them further tuned as she get's accustomed to them
Nwsteve

Thanks for the info. I am probably going that route and have no COSTCO membership (have Sam's Club).

If anyone wants to try the in canal Lyric Phonics you can do so for 30 days at no charge. These are inserted into the canal and stay there for 6-8 weeks. You can shower, exercise, etc., everything but submerge your head underwater.
They are not visible at all and are left in at night. A game changer for those who hate the other models.

The drawback is that they are about $3,300 PER YEAR. this includes changing them every two months or whenever you need them changed.

Wild Irish Rogue

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom