Heart attacks aren't just for geezers anymore...

Heart problems are the number one killer of women. They have never been just for geezers. I have known women and men in their 30's that died from a heart attack.
The medical community seems to focus on men in testing and studies because they tend to die a few years younger. They assume women are like men so we can take the same drugs and other things. I would love to see them take women's heart problems just as seriously. Women don't have the same symptoms as a man but I bet most don't know what the women's symptoms are. We all know about men's symptoms.

audreyh1 said:
Did you mean to say soluble fiber? It's soluble fiber that helps absorb excess cholesterol in the intestines and thus lowers LDL. Insoluble fiber doesn't help at all.

Audrey

Thanks for correction. Yes, I did mean to say soluble fiber.

Glad to hear everything turned out well for you, youbet. Good news is maybe you've saved yourself from some problems down the road. Congrats on the upcoming ER!

old woman said:
I bet most don't know what the women's symptoms are. We all know about men's symptoms.

If your doc doesn't know the difference between typical symptoms of a man vs. a woman regarding heart issues, please get another doc asap!

DW and I share the same family doc.  He was the one who brought up and educated her on the subject of female heart issues.  If you're telling us that this kind of proactive behavior on the part of docs is not the norm, that's scary!

A very good friend of mine, with whom I graduated as a diving instructor in 2000, and I can tell you that he was the kind of short slim and physically extraordinarilly resistant guy, went to Corsica with his four kids during the summer of 2004, waiting for his wife to join them there. She never saw him alive again, he died at 46 of a heart attack without any previous alert / symptom.
So, ER and enjoy everyday...

Back
Top Bottom