Heartburn

The apple cider vinegar will cure lots of ailments, according to DW, and even a bit of seltzer helps the digestive process. The combination, along with cayenne, looks like it could help. Another home remedy to keep in mind. Thanks!

Oh gosh, how embarrassing! :facepalm: I think I might have looked at something else and thought it was the date the post began...! Nothing like making a fool of myself in front of everyone.
I don't think you made a fool of yourself, and we appreciate your suggestion...thanks for the input.

(P.S. If I was embarrassed every time I (thought I) made a fool of myself, I'd never leave the house......and I'm not sure I'd be safe there either. :LOL: )

I may be wrong, but thought I remember reading that care must be taken to not have apple cider vinegar make contact with your teeth, as it will eat away at the enamel.

There may be confusion about the mechanism of heartburn - heartburn implies acid in the oesophagus which burns the alkaline mucosa (hence the term heartburn) and the problem is not excessive acid but an incompetent LES (lower esophageal sphincter). PPI's do not stop you from refluxing but reduce the stomach acid and consequently the symptoms.

Weak/poor closure of the LES is a normal age-related phenomenon (the connective tissue around the LES suffers the same fate as connective tissue elswhere). The LES must be in the abdomen (intra-abdominal pressure helps to close it whereas when it moves into the chest - hiatal hernia - the normal negative intrathoracic pressure tends to open it). Fatty foods and alcohol weaken the tone of the LES muscle, and increased abdominal fat or any other reason for increased intra abdominal pressure pushes the IES into the chest.

Hence the general advice to lose weight, avoid large meals at night, avoid fatty/spicy food and alcohol.

Hence the general advice to lose weight, avoid large meals at night, avoid fatty/spicy food and alcohol.
At 103 lbs my wife doesn't have a whole lot of leeway on the 'losing weight' front.......she never eats large meals, and, other than the occasional glass of wine, rarely touches alcohol.......plus, it would appear that she already has low stomach acid.........quite a quandry...but we continue to investigate.....thanks for the input.

2 years ago I developed Gerd that would wake me up every night with pain. Doctor put me on 2 Prilosecs a day for about a month until it stopped. I did some research and found that Papaya Enzyme helps the digestive system.

I found a product called Papaya Complete at the vitamin store..I take 2 every night when I get home, and I've never had a problem since.

Great information about the LES, Cato. Thanks.

I did some research and found that Papaya Enzyme helps the digestive system.
I hear good things about papaya enzyme too. We live in the tropics and eat papaya all the time. My understanding is that the fruit closest to the outside skin is where that enzyme is strongest. If you scrape the fruit along that area, you will be getting a sweet dose of that enzyme and it will aid digestion.

I do have one more suggestion for heartburn/GERD/Hiatal hernia – To be honest, I had great resistance to trying it because I “didn’t believe” in homeopathic remedies. But I have to tell you this works so well, I now travel with the stuff and I buy it online in the States when I am there.
It’s called Reflux-Away made by NaturalCare. I will type in the info to order it, but the moderators may take it down, I dunno. It’s item #41760, found on www.enaturalcare.com 1.800.475.9811. If they take it down, just message me and I'll give you the info.

I take less than the dosage on the bottle – just a capsule upon onset of symptoms and another capsule as needed.

Up to you – everyone is different, but like I say, this works so well that I travel with the stuff. Since I live out of my backpack and carry everything with me, that’s a statement!

Again, good luck. It really is no fun to hurt.

Akaisha p.s. thanks everyone for being kind about my earlier goof!

At 103 lbs my wife doesn't have a whole lot of leeway on the 'losing weight' front.......she never eats large meals, and, other than the occasional glass of wine, rarely touches alcohol.......plus, it would appear that she already has low stomach acid.........quite a quandry...but we continue to investigate.....thanks for the input.

Semantics, I know, can be irritating. However, when discussing medical symptoms or signs, clarity can be important.

I take it that you have looked up Achlorhydria/Hypochlorhydria?

Semantics, I know, can be irritating. However, when discussing medical symptoms or signs, clarity can be important.
Exactly, and perhaps especially, when one thinks that all the correct steps are being taken prior to contracting 'a condition' one doesn't want to be included in the group that is doing all the wrong things, and for whom a few behavioral changes might be a relatively simple solution.

I take it that you have looked up Achlorhydria/Hypochlorhydria?
From what we've determined from her taking an online baking soda based test it appears to be the latter.

Bought some Papaya pills this afternoon, she'll start taking them at dinner......already taking a Magnesium supplement, and when we return from a week in Huatulco, Mexico, in mid-January we'll embark on a gluten free diet*, (I'll just go along, since it's easier than preparing separate meals).

*From what we've read, this does not appear to be a gluten related problem but we're attempting to follow the Sherlock Holmes approach, ("Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable must be the truth") with the hope that it's valid in this instance.

I have gastroparesis, and only in the past year found that wheat plays a role there. My dad (67) has had heartburn and problems being unable to burp all his life. I suggested to him that maybe there's a genetic element, and that he should try gluten elimination diet for a month and then reintroduce it. Sure enough, whenever he eats gluten, he has a problem. He also has issues with certain oils.

Your wife's issue might not be gluten, but it's certainly straightforward enough (if not easy) to try.

Gaviscon....simple OTC treatment that has been a wonder for me.
As with other medications, (which she is attempting to avoid in toto), I believe this is aimed at high, rather than low, stomach acid, and, as PawPrint53 indicated above, it's not without its potential and undesirable side effects:

Gaviscon Side Effects | eHow.com

Musculoskeletal side effects may become severe for those using Gaviscon. Symptoms include softening of the bones (osteomalacia), which may be due to the amount of aluminum in the bones, malaise, bone pain and muscle pain and weakness. With the weakening of bones and muscles comes the possibility of tears and fractures. Osteomalacia, states Drugs.com, is usually found in those with chronic renal failure. If aluminum continues to be deposited into joints, arthritis may also occur.

Back
Top Bottom