Help with "play money" investments

nnkrealtor

Recycles dryer sheets
I have about 2000 of "play money" that I want to invest in some individual stocks. I already have a vanguard IRA account. Could I open a seperate vanguard account and trade stocks with vanguard or are there good reasons to open that "play" account somewhere else like a Scottrade or the like? For instance is vanguard slow to execute or anything like that?

any advice would be great, Thanks

one used to be able to get some account opening bonuses for opening trading accounts. Sharebuilder was the one I use/used, now owner by ING. Look for a coupon to open it for a bonus. With 2000, good short term return. Also, sharebuilder has a once-per-week investment option for $4 that should help reduce your trading fees. If you're trading for learning and quickly, don't be astonished if you lose a good deal of money. School costs.

sharebuilder has a once-per-week investment option for $4 that should help reduce your trading fees. QUOTE]

Would you please explain that a little more? is that like a 4$ per week credit toward your trading fees?

Online Stocks Trading: Trade Stocks Online at ShareBuilder.com

This is a link to their description/information. Basically, you set up trades to be executed end of day on Tuesday, and they bundle all their trades together, and only charge you $4 to execute yours. Not useful for daytrading, good if you are investing, where a day or hours difference in pricing isn't likely to impact your decision making.

Here are a couple of possible bonuses you might use for opening.

Current Sharebuilder Promotion Codes + Reduce Trade Costs - Related links

You can open up a brokerage account at vanguard. Although they recently reduced trading costs (i think mine went from $20 to $7 -- depends on the amount of assets you have in vanguard funds/etfs), they are still high unless you only trade infrequently.

$2000 isn't enough money to get any leverage, but I suppose VG or Fido or Schwab or even Amertrade would work...........

If you plan to trade often...

With $2,000, you really have to watch commission charges. Just the fees to get into and out of a position will eat up most of your gains.

Back
Top Bottom