It’s time to reset the clocks once again

It's an inconvenience. I wish we'd get rid of it.

As mentioned, we don't change time, but because everyone else does, all TV shows/radio programs shift an hour for us. Also mentioned, it takes the DVR a day or two to orient itself.

It's not rocket science. People in places with no DST manage just fine.

Those are mostly places with less of a change in sunrise/set times. I suspect they're not the reason DST was implemented.

Changing the clocks twice a year isn't exactly rocket science, either. And we all managed just fine doing that until it became fashionable to complain about every little thing.

The two worst reasons for doing something/not doing something:

1. We've always done it that way.
2. We've never done it that way.

You can manually set it. Search settings for Time Zone Override.

Thanks, we figured how to set time zone and also set the time. Then couple days later we hit land and cell signals so turned on “set automatically” again. It was somewhat confusing as we changed time 3 days in a row. Now that we are back to steady we have time set by the network.
It makes sense now that I know time comes from cell network, it was all setup long ago when our flip phones didn’t have the Wi-Fi.

Thanks, we figured how to set time zone and also set the time. Then couple days later we hit land and cell signals so turned on “set automatically” again. It was somewhat confusing as we changed time 3 days in a row. Now that we are back to steady we have time set by the network.
It makes sense now that I know time comes from cell network, it was all setup long ago when our flip phones didn’t have the Wi-Fi.

That’s right, on a long sea voyage (we crossed most of the Pacific, through the Panama Canal, then docked east coast FL*) the captain would announce the time change every day, and you adjusted your watch hands. Important because the ship schedule ran on those times.

*We also crossed both the international date line and the equator.

Last edited:
That’s right, on a long sea voyage (we crossed most of the Pacific, through the Panama Canal, then docked east coast FL*) the captain would announce the time change every day, and you adjusted your watch hands. Important because the ship schedule ran on those times.

*We also crossed both the international date line and the equator.

I remember hearing an odd story many years ago about the Date Line. A family including a small child were flying west from Hawaii toward Japan. They left Hawaii around 11 PM and landed several hours later. But because they crossed the Date Line going west, it was something like 3 AM two days later. Unfortunately, the little kid's birthday was the day which got "erased" when they crossed the Date Line. The kid was distraught when he learned he lost his birthday. [Yes, unless they crossed the Date Line at exactly midnight, they would have had a short amount of time at the start or the end of his birthday.] Still, it's a pretty weird story.

When I was chatting on line with people all around the world, we had to adjust for time differences. I once chatted with someone from New Zealand (I live in New York). When we had to adjust our clocks, NZ would move in one direction while here in NY we move the other way, putting us 2 hours different from before when we both finished, after a few weeks being 1 hour different from before.

With someone in China, I told her about DST and she never heard of it because China didn't observe DST.

I vaguely remember in 1974 being on DST in the winter. But it didn't affect me in the morning while waiting for the school bus I was in the 5th grade). My school had a late starting time (9:30 AM) so the bus didn't pick me up until close to 9 AM, always daylight even on DST in the winter. Waking up around 8 AM still had us in daylight.

I'm glad Indiana got its times zones and DST observance straightened out by 2014 when my ladyfriend and I took Amtrak from NY to Indianapolis before renting a car to drive to her hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. By 2014, all of Indiana was observing DST, so the time in Indy was the same as in NY and Louisville. Otherwise, we would have had to wait an extra hour in the early morning for the car rental office in Indy to open, only to cross back into EDT on the drive south.

Our recent road trip was a DST fiasco. Drove from Illinois to Arizona late Feb. F-150 clock changed automatically as it crossed from central to mountain time zone.

DST was in effect when we left AZ bound for Van Horn Tx, which is 2.7 miles within the central time zone. Weird thing - even though the F-150 clock needs to be manually adjusted for DST, the nav system gave the correct DST time for the estimated time of arrival in Van Horn.

So even though you have to manually adjust the clock for DST, the nav system has the capability to give the correct estimated arrival for a DST destination while driving from a point in an area that doesn't observe DST.

So I had to manually adjust the truck clock ahead 1 hour when we crossed from AZ to New Mexico. But the the destination time for Van Horn Tx did not change on the nav screen.

I had a stretch where I lived in Atlanta but worked Monday through Friday in Birmingham. About a three hour drive but crossed a time zone. Sun time was nearly the same but clock time was an hour different. So twice per week I had to adjust my watch. It was somewhat disorienting.

I'm glad Indiana got its times zones and DST observance straightened out

I once w*rked with a guy who lived in a small town right on the Indiana/Ohio border. It was about the same distance to either Indianapolis or Cincinnati, so they were halfway to anywhere. He said it wasn't ever a problem because everyone who lived there had two sets of clocks in their home, right next to each other. They simply used the left hand or right hand clock as appropriate for whatever they were going to do that day.

I once w*rked with a guy who lived in a small town right on the Indiana/Ohio border. It was about the same distance to either Indianapolis or Cincinnati, so they were halfway to anywhere. He said it wasn't ever a problem because everyone who lived there had two sets of clocks in their home, right next to each other. They simply used the left hand or right hand clock as appropriate for whatever they were going to do that day.

It used to be really exciting if you lived in Lawrenceburg, IN, which is a suburb of Cincinnati. Now that most of IN has gone to DST adjusted Eastern time, it isn't exciting anymore.

However, counties North near Illinois or South near Kentucky still experience the excitement. :)

Source: I traveled and stayed in IN on numerous trips from 1985 on. Lawrenceburg had a different set of rules than Batesville (casket company) only a few tens of miles away. Very confusing.

Last edited:
Those are mostly places with less of a change in sunrise/set times. I suspect they're not the reason DST was implemented.

Changing the clocks twice a year isn't exactly rocket science, either. And we all managed just fine doing that until it became fashionable to complain about every little thing.

Heh, heh, the big issues came when DST was optional by county! Some states had regions with different times. It could be a real mess. It's a bit more uniform now and I don't have a big issue with DST.

Back
Top Bottom