It’s time to reset the clocks once again

I've heard and could be wrong that DLS was put in place so that farmer's could harvest as much crop in daylight as possible, allowing increased food production. Not sure if that is true or not, but if I was a farmer whose profits relied on an optimal amount of daylight, I might be in favor of DLS.
These days farmers harvest at night no problem. I’ve seen many a cotton combine harvesting at night, lights blazing.

Seems an appropriate thread, we are on a trip down under and last night we went off daylight savings as we head into fall and winter. Funny that we never thought of reversing daylight savings adjustments before.

Seems an appropriate thread, we are on a trip down under and last night we went off daylight savings as we head into fall and winter. Funny that we never thought of reversing daylight savings adjustments before.

Everything is backwards down under, ha ha. What I thought oddest was celebrating Xmas in the heat of the summer.

I like the idea of simply adjusting start times to the local season, instead of adjusting clocks. A simple, common-sense approach. In lots of industries, the workers in the field or on the factory floor work a different schedule than the folks in the office or back at the home office, often in another state or even country. We all figure it out.

But I also recognize it'll never happen. Some things do have to be synchronized. Banking and finance, federal offices, train schedules, all kinds of things depend on predictable work schedules. People whine about twice-yearly time changes now, imagine how many complaints we'll hear when everyone is doing their own thing.

The bottom line is we all have to agree in some way. In today's environment, each side is automatically against everything the other side says. Agreement on flexible schedules seems even less likely than agreement on DST changes.
This would be 1870 all over again. Time zones were required to stop railroad chaos.

Yes, this reminded me of what happened when I was working. Some people keep saying changing clocks is just a 'minor inconvenience', but I say it's much more than that.

I was involved in several weekly conference calls with our associates around the globe. When the time changed, it wasn't consistent with every country, and we had people is the North and South Hemispheres, which aggravated the problem - we were moving clocks in opposite directions, really getting tough to co-ordinate.

Bottom line, it would take 3-4 weeks to get everyone synced up again, it wasn't just a one time thing, it dragged on. Lots of wasted time for a fairly large group of fairly high level employees.

This would be 1870 all over again. Time zones were required to stop railroad chaos.

I probably bring this up every time, but just like the advancing technology of trains, and the speed with which they could move through local 'noon-based' time (every city had it's own time), drove the need for time zones to limit the number of changes and simplify them (move an hour ata time, not minutes every stop) - the current technology of instant communication around the globe means everyone should go to GMT/UTC time. There would never be any confusion when you say "conference at 15:00 GMT/UTC.

So what if the people in Brazil eat lunch at a different 'time' than the people in London? If you travel, you'd adjust (pretty easily I think). Maybe instead of those fancy watches with a second time zones around the rim of the dial, you'd just have one marked "WAKE-BFST-LUNCH-DINNER-SLEEP" that you could move to match the local day/night time.

-ERD50

- the current technology of instant communication around the globe means everyone should go to GMT/UTC time. There would never be any confusion when you say "conference at 15:00 GMT/UTC.

Agree. But in a country that still preciously holds on to feet and inches for measurement, I doubt this will fly very far. :D

The other thing we are finding out this morning, we are using Wi-Fi from the ship, and our phones (iPhones) appear to need a cell signal to get correct time so phones haven’t changed yet. Keeps me guessing as I can’t wrap my head around back home is later time but previous day. 😀

…I probably bring this up every time, but just like the advancing technology of trains, and the speed with which they could move through local 'noon-based' time (every city had it's own time), drove the need for time zones to limit the number of changes and simplify them (move an hour ata time, not minutes every stop) - the current technology of instant communication around the globe means everyone should go to GMT/UTC time. There would never be any confusion when you say "conference at 15:00 GMT/UTC.

So what if the people in Brazil eat lunch at a different 'time' than the people in London? If you travel, you'd adjust (pretty easily I think). Maybe instead of those fancy watches with a second time zones around the rim of the dial, you'd just have one marked "WAKE-BFST-LUNCH-DINNER-SLEEP" that you could move to match the local day/night time.

-ERD50

I agree

Since we neither spring forward nor fall back, the trick is getting the DVR to record what we want to record for the first couple of days. Even though the DVR "says" it will record on time (our time) it will be off an hour for a while. YMMV

The other thing we are finding out this morning, we are using Wi-Fi from the ship, and our phones (iPhones) appear to need a cell signal to get correct time so phones haven’t changed yet. Keeps me guessing as I can’t wrap my head around back home is later time but previous day
All southern hemisphere major jurisdictions that implement daylight savings:

• Australia,
  • Chile,
  • New Zeaand,
  • Paraguay,
will not switch to standard time until April 2023:
https://www.worlddata.info/timezones/daylightsavingtimes.php

Ship crossed the equator?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

Last edited:
Not sure how phones and watches handle time on the Navajo reservation in Az. The reservation is on DST.

Last time I was up there ~10yr ago (drove from Phoenix to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon) it worked fine. Switched from Phoenix time (MST) to Navajo Reservation time (MDT) just outside of Flagstaff and switched back to MST shortly after crossing the Colorado River near Lee's Ferry. After I left the North Rim and drove into Utah it changed to MDT again.

Last edited:
Wow, six pages on DST. Spring forward, fall back. Easy.

It's an inconvenience. I wish we'd get rid of it.

The other thing we are finding out this morning, we are using Wi-Fi from the ship, and our phones (iPhones) appear to need a cell signal to get correct time so phones haven’t changed yet. Keeps me guessing as I can’t wrap my head around back home is later time but previous day. 😀

You can manually set it. Search settings for Time Zone Override.

Feel free to leave your clocks as is.

It never fails to amaze me now many people whine about this. No surprise the politicians take up the cry, but never do anything. I mean, if they did, then there would be one less non-issue they could bandstand about.

Personally, I don't care what is decided, I just wish I didn't have to keep hearing about it. Living in the Northeast, there are good reasons for switching back and forth. Down South, not so much. I get that. But really, there are bigger things to worry about. I don't let this silliness distract me.

I actually ran into someone the other day who believed that she lost an hour of sleep EVERY DAY due to DST. It is one hour a year! What nonsense.

I spent 30 years bouncing between Boston and Asia on a monthly basis...my body never knew what time it was but somehow I survived.

Since we're speaking of calendars,

HAPPY PI DAY!

Believe it or not, the symbol π has only been in use for a few hundred years to represent the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. But calculation of it, to increasing levels of accuracy, has been going on for at least 4,000 years.

Any member logging on to this site today (3/14) at exactly 1:59:26 receives a special award from the moderators.

Of course, that is UTC, so quite a few hours ago. Sorry for those who missed it.

https://www.piday.org

MIL left her clocks as is and it has not affected her one bit. But then again she doesn’t know that they need to be changed.

That reminds me, my MIL would complain every DST change about having to reset the light timers she had on the lamps in her living room.

I tried to explain that the lights are going to come on at the same 'sun time', there's no need to change them just because the clocks changed. She might want them coming on later as the summer proceeds, but the time shown on the face of the timer is irrelevant.

That never got through to her. She'd say (in an indignant tone), "Well, I don't know what kind of timers you have, but I have to change mine!".

At that point, I just let it go.

-ERD50

Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Wow, six pages on DST. Spring forward, fall back. Easy.
Lots of things are easy but that doesn't mean we should continue to do them.

Agreed (adding one more post to the 'six pages' ! :) .

BTW, 'six pages' depends on your settings. I have mine set to 100 posts per page. That way, if I'm searching a term (CNTRL-F) in that thread, I don't need to do as much/any scrolling page-page to look for it.

I'm still on page 1.

-ERD50

+1
Those letters used to terrify me, and now they have no impact. Leave everything on GMT, and everybody knows what offsets they use. Solves lots of problems.

That might make some people feel better but it doesn't solve anything.

If the people in charge can't figure out a small issue, maybe they need to be replaced with more competent folk.

Back
Top Bottom