Hi - Today I notified my boss

FreeAtLast

Full time employment: Posting here.
That I will retire effective June 2008. I have been reading this form for the past few months and joined tonight. The "Just one more year" articles really helped me make the decision. I cut my hours down to 25/week about 3 years ago to have more time to take care of my 13 year old son. I was told on Friday that sales were down and there were a number of people being layed off and that I had to cut my hours futher and also cut the hourly rate. It is a small company and I am a programmer/analyst who often works from home. They have been flexible with my hours, however, no raises or bonus since I started there 5 years ago. I was hired at 78k then took a cut to 47k when I cut my hours. They wanted a 12k/year cut. That was it. I have no debt or mortgage and started on a 4% withdrawal of my investments in January.

Last edited:
Congrats on being prepared and turning this into a plus rather than a hardship!

A wise decision for which you planted a firm base. Congratulations!

Congrats. Well, some working stiff will be able to maintain their job (of half of it) since you FIRED.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome. I was not quite prepared at least mentally to leave, however, with the all the job cuts perhaps I saved someone else who really needed the job from being forced out the door.

Good for you FreeAtLast!!! You may have been pushed a little earlier than you had planned but you were wise enough to be ready. I wish you well in your retirement.

I was not quite prepared at least mentally to leave, however, with the all the job cuts perhaps I saved someone else who really needed the job from being forced out the door.
That's the icing on the cake, and an excellent note to take your departure on. Good for you.

I found myself unretiring before I decided to leave. I will get my same old rate which will be about 30k/year for 15 hours of work per week plus the benefits that I got when I worked full time. Fully paid medical by the employer, 401k. Vacation/Sick.
I also can work from home much of the time doing computer programming which I like.
I have to at least give this a try.

I found myself unretiring before I decided to leave. I will get my same old rate which will be about 30k/year for 15 hours of work per week plus the benefits that I got when I worked full time. Fully paid medical by the employer, 401k. Vacation/Sick.
I also can work from home much of the time doing computer programming which I like.
I have to at least give this a try.

FreeAtLast - sounds like they really wanted to keep you. I think I could stomach 15 hours a week, mostly at home, if I could get an offer like that. That's great, just for the bennies, especiallty healthcare. Are your hours fixed? or work when you want?

R

Rambler - My guess is that they will be flexible. I often have to do system maintenance in the evenings at home. It turns out they did want to keep me, but only a fraction of my time and I was ok to stay with the same rate and bennies but reduced my hours from 25 to 15.

Would Rich refer to this as 63% retired?

Back
Top Bottom