Hotel Key Card to Turn on Lights, Why?

As others have said, these have been around for well over a decade now. I first ran across them while traveling in Japan and Singapore more than 10 years ago. Later I started seeing them popup in some hotels in Europe and finally I noticed they started showing up here in the US just a few years ago.

As many have said, it is to save energy which as I remember is one of the highest costs for hotels.

If there are any inventors who can develop a product to prevent mold and mildew in warm climate hotel rooms at a cost less than running the air conditioner, the current method as far as I know, you could have more money to invest.

So, has this been common around Europe for a few years? Maybe you can get a second card...or a fake one? I think it might be for energy savings.

Does anyone read *any* of the prior comments before saying the same thing that has been said 14 times already? ;)

...As we were all milling around the lobby and getting the all clear to return to our rooms, a very embarrassed guy wearing nothing but a bath towel was getting a key to his room from the front desk. He had gone out in the hall to see what was going on and his room door had ... closed ... and ... locked ... behind him.

Not sure I can quite beat that story, but close...

Big conference. I was helping out with some of the organizing, and I was rewarded with a nice suite. It was next door to the "hospitality suite" where the big-shots hosted social events in the evening. This was back in the days when everyone dressed up; suites and ties, gowns, the works.

I found I could come and go to these events pretty easily, since the adjoining rooms were connected by two doors, one in my suite and one in the hospitality suite.

One night I turned in early. But something came up and there was a knock at the adjoining door. I threw on a pair of workout shorts and a t-shirt and opened it. Standing in the doorway solving whatever minor crisis had come up, I didn't notice that the door on "my" side was swinging shut...

Yup. There I was, no shoes, no socks, bed-head, shorts and a t-shirt. At the social event of the evening. I didn't even have an ID to go ask for a new card at the front desk.

Pretty soon, everyone at the party was in on the attempt to get me back into my room. It was probably the high point of the evening. Even the maintenance guy we called couldn't open the adjoining door from the other side. I didn't even have my pocket comb (which I've used to open a hundred doors over the years.) Someone had a nail file or credit card or something flat I was able to use to slide down between the plunger and the striker plate, and I proceeded to slink back into my room. They were all impressed by my breaking-and-entering skills.

I have also seen a few times that a white plastic card sitting in that slot and it works to control the lights. I am not sure if that is supplied by the hotel, or the previous customer left it there.

I have also seen a few times that a white plastic card sitting in that slot and it works to control the lights. I am not sure if that is supplied by the hotel, or the previous customer left it there.
Probably they got so many complaints from customers that they beat their cheapskate accountants to death and plugged every room with a dummy card. There is hope!

European electricity appears to be very expensive power kwh. The front desk can also control the HVAC in many hotels.

Such controls are often products of governmental regulations--to minimize utility bills.

One time traveling in San Miguel de Allende i reported to the desk that my bathroom light was out. I tried to tell them in my basic Spanish, and seeing that the staff didn’t understand I explained in English. I could see the staff trying not to roll their eyes at me as they explained how the lights needed the key to function. After countering that I did understand and had been a guest for three days already using the key to allow me to operate lights, tv and AC, a maintenance guy met me in the room to show me how the key works. He was quite surprised to see that the light bulb really did need to be replaced. LOL.

Some of the newer chains label one outlet that will always be on for charging.

Very true, the last 2 hotels I stayed with requiring the card for lights and electricity had a couple of outlets and USB ports labelled for continuous electricity.

Hotels in Asia have had this setup for many years to save energy, I am now seeing U.S. hotels implement it.

So, has this been common around Europe for a few years? Maybe you can get a second card...or a fake one? I think it might be for energy savings.

Does anyone read *any* of the prior comments before saying the same thing that has been said 14 times already? ;)

They obviously didn't read this one either.

On tour in Italy, I tried leaving our second key in the slot to keep the electricity on. The maid removed it every day.

My feeling is: I paid for the room and if I want to run the AC to 16°C, then I should be able to.

While not disagreeing, a large motel/hotel with lights and hvac on in VACANT rooms must add quite a lot to the cost, not to mention the lack of “greenness”.

I have stayed in many hotels (mostly in Asia) with these power restraints. Not really a bother, except when you want to recharge the PC while you are gone (glad to hear some now have a few ports that don't turn off).

If it was a high end hotel with a good A/C system, no problem. i can wait a half hour for the room to cool down.

If it was a rural hotel with marginal cooling to start, then that is more problematic.

Do you need the room that cold when you're not there?

I REALLY like to sleep in a cold room. My sop is to go to a hotel room before dinner and turn the temp down, let it cool down the room - not just the air, the bed! If you wonder why, learn something about thermal mass and specific heat...

I often turn off the AC while I sleep (depending...). The worse thing in a hotel room is a noisy AC unit that cycles on and off and on and off...

Key cards

Interestingly. I was in one of my regular hotels last week. The key card power system had been updated and would only work with a current card that would open the door. Those accountants are getting smarter.

Bean counters are in charge, get used to it. :) I've been in at least 2 beach area hotels where the HVAC system shuts off when the sliding glass door is open to the balcony. Not a bad idea really.

Back
Top Bottom