Housing Prices Mystify TheMystic

Re: Housing Prices Mystify The Mystic

Demand for housing is higher in California than in Minnesota.

How much does it cost to buy a sunny, 70F, January day in Minnesota?  Oh, I forgot it doesn't exist!

IntoTheMystic said:
...but why do they want to live there so badly?

No mandated walleye fishing. No memorizing Garrison Keillor poems or short stories. No listening to people say "oh yeah, sure." Or "you bet."

youbet

mb said:
How much does it cost to buy a sunny, 70F, January day in Minnesota? Oh, I forgot it doesn't exist!
...with global warming, Minnesota winters haven't been what they used to be, unfortunately. Besides with winter you learn to be strong to not be a weinie....

youbet said:
No mandated walleye fishing. No memorizing Garrison Keillor poems or short stories. No listening to people say "oh yeah, sure." Or "you bet."

youbet
...well I give you that...you do have a point....on top of your head. ;)

IntoTheMystic said:
...but why do they want to live there so badly? Yeah, I know the weather is warmer than Minnesota, but if you have spent any time in the LA basin you know there are quite a few negatives, quite a few...if they moved to a more affordable area of the country they could retire early!
:D 
I never understood it either.  During my working career I was recruited by Silicon Valley and Southern California companies several times a year.  They paid more than companies in other regions of the country, but not nearly enough to compensate for the cost of their housing.  

Right out of school I took a job in Silicon Valley and worked there for two years.  I did a lot of touristy California stuff for those two years, but once I moved away, I was never tempted to pay those prices for housing again.  California does not have a monopoly on sun or warm winters either.   :) :)

But you can't deny supply and demand forces.  A lot of people seem to be willing to live with a reduced housing lifestyle or extend their time to retirement in order to live there.   :confused:

IntoTheMystic said:
...well I give you that...you do have a point....on top of your head.  ;)

Yeah........and I'm not even from Minnesota. I just spent a lot of time up there and before long I started to take on the appearance of an actual resident Minnesotan!

California has good Mexican food.   And good Indian food.   And good vegetarian Buddhist faux-meat Vietnamese food.   Etc.

And Fry's Electronics.

Oh, and tanned thonged babes on rollerblades.

You get what you pay for.  :)

youbet said:
Yeah........and I'm not even from Minnesota. I just spent a lot of time up there and before long I started to take on the appearance of an actual resident Minnesotan!
you've got a point! and I guess I do too... :D

wab said:

But can they serve up good tuna hotdish in the church basement?

youbet said:
But can they serve up good tuna hotdish in the church basement?
Every month or so I read about dozens of people coming down with food poisoning after one of those...some even dying :-X
Maybe that's what keeps the MN. housing prices at a reasonable level - less demand...

IntoTheMystic said:
Every month or so I read about dozens of people coming down with food poisoning after one of those...some even dying :-X
Maybe that's what keeps the MN. housing prices at a reasonable level - less demand...

Hey........  if you can breath the air in LA and live to tell about it, you can survive a little tainted tuna hotdish in Minnestoa! Vegetarian Buddhist faux-meat Vietnamese food, Mexican food, Indian food, etc., that stuff is available all over the neighborhood here.  But tuna hotdish.......that I gotta drive up to minnesota to get!

wab said:
California has good Mexican food. And good Indian food. And good vegetarian Buddhist faux-meat Vietnamese food. Etc.

And Fry's Electronics.

You get what you pay for. :)

Hmmm.. Texas has great Mexican food... and there are some good Indian places..... sorry, no vegetarian Buddhist faux meat, but we do have great Vietnamese food..

And we DO have Fry's...

And nobody wants the ladies to wear thongs... sorry.. but we have way to many 'larger' ladies that think they look good...

Texas Proud said:
And nobody wants the ladies to wear thongs... sorry.. but we have way to many 'larger' ladies that think they look good...

As Texans frequently say... "Things are bigger in Texas" :LOL:

Fry's alone makes living in California worth the high price. Also note, we have guys rollerblading in thongs as well. :D

cube_rat said:
Fry's alone makes living in California worth the high price. Also note, we have guys rollerblading in thongs as well. :D
Heck, you can live in a fishing shack up in the Indian Boundary waters and order on-line from Fry's. You can get the guys-on-blades on-line as well but I don't have the URL, or am not willing to admit it :LOL:.

cube_rat said:
Fry's alone makes living in California worth the high price.  Also note, we have guys rollerblading in thongs as well.  :D

We have Fry's here in TX, but do you really want to see Billy Joe Bob in a thong? :eek:

I spent a lot of time in CA over the years on business. I turned down more jobs that I can count in the San Jose-LA-San Diego area over the past 10 years. I am not attracted to the crowded freeways, crowded beaches, high cost of living, high taxes, out landish real estate prices and over crowded housing areas.

I also don't want to deal with northern IL winters anymore either. Or the sizzling humid summers in the deep south...or the blazing heat (but it's a dry heat ::)) of the southwest. We prefer the mild winters of the intermountain west. We get 4 full seasons. Colorful falls, snow but not so cold winters, cool springs, and hot but not too hot but dry summers (very few bugs :D). You don't see chick with thongs and there are no beaches but I am 15 minutes from 4 major ski resorts and I can golf 10 months of the year plus hiking, trout fishing, camping, sailing, powerboating, etc. all in less than an hour from my house. Also, there are over 7 National parks within an easy days drive from here.

Sure I have some "church-state" issues to deal with and an ultra conservative government but the good stuff outweighs the bad.

Housing is cheaper, utilities are cheaper, we get CA fruits and vegatables, KS steaks, AK salmon and crab and the internet provides the means to buy stuff at Fry's or anywhere else for good electronics prices. I don't feel the need to move to CA and pay out the nose for the experience. And my net worth is all the better for not funding the social programs in that state.

We all have our priorities and mine does not include CA as a place to live. If you like it there then by all means stay; it is all about what we want and need in our lives. Do what works for you.

Texas Proud said:

Bigger the cushion, softer the pushin'.... :)

Ha

IntoTheMystic said:
Earlier this year we sold a 1921 cottage in Glendale, Ca. - 696 sq. ft. .05 acre. 1 bedroom 1 bath as is for $365K It was a rental for years and needed about $30k work. It is not a nice neighborhood. Place was firebombed 10 years ago by gangbangers.

The new owner remodeled it and now 6 months later just sold it for $475k!

:eek:

Wow!  You would'nt have a picture of that cottage, would you?  I'd love to see what a $524/sqft, 85 year old cottage look like.

And why would a 696 sqft cottage need $30K work?  Would it cost about the same to build new? :confused:

SteveR said:
I spent a lot of time in CA over the years on business.  I turned down more jobs that I can count in the San Jose-LA-San Diego area over the past 10 years.  I am not attracted to the crowded freeways, crowded beaches, high cost of living, high taxes, out landish real estate prices and over crowded housing areas. 

I also don't want to deal with northern IL winters anymore either.  Or the sizzling humid summers in the deep south...or the blazing heat (but it's a dry heat  ::)) of the southwest.  We prefer the mild winters of the intermountain west.  We get 4 full seasons.  Colorful falls, snow but not so cold winters, cool springs, and hot but not too hot but dry summers (very few bugs  :D).  You don't see chick with thongs and there are no beaches but I am 15 minutes from 4 major ski resorts and I can golf 10 months of the year plus hiking, trout fishing, camping, sailing, powerboating, etc. all in less than an hour from my house.  Also, there are over 7 National parks within an easy days drive from here. 

Sure I have some "church-state" issues to deal with and an ultra conservative government but the good stuff outweighs the bad. 

Housing is cheaper, utilities are cheaper, we get CA fruits and vegatables, KS steaks, AK salmon and crab and the internet provides the means to buy stuff at Fry's or anywhere else for good electronics prices.  I don't feel the need to move to CA and pay out the nose for the experience.  And my net worth is all the better for not funding the social programs in that state. 

We all have our priorities and mine does not include CA as a place to live.  If you like it there then by all means stay; it is all about what we want and need in our lives.  Do what works for you.

And where is this nirvana??

HaHa said:
Bigger the cushion, softer the pushin'.... :)

Ha

there's a bag of flour thought here... :)

Texas Proud said:
And where is this nirvana??

Salt Lake City......not exactly nirvan (unless you are LDS; but it meets our needs).

Sam said:
:eek:

Wow! You would'nt have a picture of that cottage, would you? I'd love to see what a $524/sqft, 85 year old cottage look like.And why would a 696 sqft cottage need $30K work? Would it cost about the same to build new? Huh

Acaciahouse.jpg

Big time termite damage...dry rot...replace entire electric & plumbing...new flooring...carpet....paint...etc.

Oh, by the way the price per sq ft. for the followup sale at $475k = $682.50

it's wedged in between 2 apartment buildings so that most likely held the price down....

Back
Top Bottom