How do I choose a Ring doorbell?

disneysteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My wife has been bugging me for ages to install a Ring doorbell. We don't want it for any purpose other than to know when a delivery comes. If it sends some sort of alert when somebody comes to the door and we can see that few seconds of video, that's perfect. I don't care if it stores the video for eternity. I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee forever. We just want to know that a package was delivered. It would also be nice to be able to chase away the random person trying to sell us solar or whatever without actually opening the door.

There are models from $30 up to $150 or more. How do I decide on one?

I think the higher end ones have a higher quality video and audio, wider angle, more wifi options, etc. I went with the cheapest and have no regrets. One thing to watch for is if it works with your existing chime. Mine does not but I'm fine with it ringing my Echo dots and phone. There may also be some cosmetic differences.

The nice thing about having a plan with video recorded is if you have a porch pirate stealing a box or a suspicious person coming to your porch or even breaking in while you aren't there is that you have the saved video to ID them to the police. As a side benefit for me I get recorded videos of bears, bobcats and peacocks coming near or on my porch--all of which has happened in the last month.

Beware Ring if you are concerned at all about security. I bought a simple battery powered motion light but to get it working Ring required that I feed it all kinds of irrelevant information, like the location of my house. It also set itself up so the the light could talk to the mother ship.

When I had the light working, I ripped out the Ring wifi interface and threw it in the garbage. Nevertheless, the Ring database has my information and the information of millions of others, making it a huge hacker magnet. I'd suggesting getting one of the several systems that store your data locally and do not connect to anyone's mother ship. I believe that Synology is one of those. I have some Z-wave hardware at our lake home that I'll be playing with. It has no mother ship either but sorry to say I can't remember the vendor name. I'm also going to keep an eye on the "Matter" interface (https://www.tomsguide.com/news/matt...es-why-google-apple-and-amazon-are-backing-it) It appears to have some potential for security without providing an in-home spy capability to hackers.

Edit: Random Synology-oriented link: https://www.androidauthority.com/synology-surveillance-station-nas-home-security-3207686/

Last edited:
Around here, that location and internet access has helped the police catch a lot of porch pirates and other criminals, so I think it's a good thing overall. I don't consider any of us to have any real privacy anyway.

Mine works very well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M125RNW
I replaced my existing doorbell with it, which was pretty easy. Having it powered like that instead of changing batteries is one more thing I don't have to think about.

At $40 a year (used to be $30), the subscription is reasonable.

In the past Eufy doorbells offered a device with on-site storage on a micro SD card (no cloud.) Also did not have the monthly subscription fees. Not sure if that is still available but you might want to check it out.

You go to Costco around Thanksgiving and get their starter pack which will be on sale.

This is from the Ring Terms of Service as published on their web site:

You hereby grant Ring and its licensees an unlimited, irrevocable, fee free and royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide right to use, distribute, store, delete, translate, copy, modify, display, and create derivative works from such Content that you share through Services including, without limitation, the Ring Neighbors feature or application, the Ring Community, or via a share link, for any purpose and in any media format.

Your images could end up in their advertising, or be given to anyone or any company that they want to - including law enforcement with no need for a warrant. I wouldn't have one.

BrianB

This is from the Ring Terms of Service as published on their web site: Your images could end up in their advertising, or be given to anyone or any company that they want to - including law enforcement with no need for a warrant. I wouldn't have one. BrianB

"unlimited, irrevocable, fee free and royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide right to use, distribute, store, delete, translate, copy, modify, display, and create derivative works ... without limitation" What could go wrong? :LOL:

The scenario I see is that someone hacks their database, then sells household access in localized packages of, say 100 homes. Bad guys buy packages, use internal videos to case each property to see if it might have stuff worth stealing, then monitor the videos and motion detectors to determine when house is empty. All from the comfort of a recliner chair until it's smash and grab time.

I just purchased and installed the Ring Battery Doorbell Plus this week. I can't quite figure out what features work without paying for the accompanying subscription service, however. I plan on signing up for the service anyway, since I have multiple Ring cameras ordered and on the way. And I know I want the features the subscription provides for those. I consider it a BTD purchase.

I will add, many of their devices are significantly on sale right NOW both on the Ring website and at Home Depot.

This is from the Ring Terms of Service as published on their web site:

Your images could end up in their advertising, or be given to anyone or any company that they want to - including law enforcement with no need for a warrant. I wouldn't have one.

BrianB

The problem I have with this is my neighbor has ring cameras pointed at my house so every single thing I do outside is recorded and nothing I can do to stop it. (I spoke to the neighbor about redirecting it to cover their house, they refused.) I do not think my neighbors care in the least what I am doing but I do not like all the data being gathered in the cloud on me. And other neighbors have them anyway.

The upside is they warned me about a weirdo one day they caught on the camera but it is still . . . not good.

I will grant you I am not doing anything super odd outside but I don't see any need to let people potentially know my routine for coming and going or who visits my house or what is in my garage (mostly nothing). I guess if the roofer I hired kills me in the next couple weeks they might get a video.

Last edited:
Two basic types of Ring Doorbell...those that work with your existing WIRED chimes and the wireless types.

The wired version will be powered by the existing low voltage that powers the chimes. Install is EZ...just replace your existing push button at the door with the Ring device. It will connect to your home's wifi network to send motion and/or doorbell pushes to your smart devices

The wireless version is battery operated and will also use your home's existing wifi network to send motion and/or doorbell pushes to your smart devices. If you want to hear an audible alert when motion is detected or the person at the door pushes the button you'll need to add a Ring wireless chime. That mates with the wireless doorbell and wifi network and is powered by plugging into any electrical outlet (it's very small and will not physically block the other outlets). This can be handy to alert you of motion or someone at the door when you do not have your smart devices with you.

We've had both kinds. Started with a wired unit but when the 63-yr old original-to-the-house chimes needed to be replaced I replaced the wired Ring with a wireless. I subscribe to Ring's cloud storage (~ $40 p/y)...not sure how long videos are locally stored or available without the subscrition. Pro Tip: If you go wireless I strongly suggest you buy 2-batteries and a charger to avoid downtime when the battery needs re-charging. How you set up the doorbell, how often it detects motion or rings and your local climate will determine battery life. I added a solar charger to our Ring (which is partially shaded by the house) but still have to change batteries every couple of months. We have the Ring Doorbell 4.

We've had a Ring doorbell for close to 10-12 years now. No issues with spammers, scammers or constant come-ons from Ring to buy this or that. Once installed and registered you'll have 30-days to decided on a subscription.

OP - Are you actually wanting a RING video doorbell, or any video doorbell that meets your requirements ?
I'm fine with another brand. Obviously Ring is just the most well known.

This is a timely topic for me. At our "old" house we had a Vivint doorbell that was so useful.

The "new" house (built in the 1960s) currently has no doorbell at all. It is a split level and usually we can't hear anyone knocking. It clearly had one at one time. There is a chime on the wall and their is a place beside the door where a doorbell would be and it is obvious one was there before.

I have no idea whether the chime works or not. Would be nice to hardwire to it if it does, but :confused:

I like the idea of Ring but I do worry about the privacy aspects of it. I doubt any of our neighbors can see our house. We are on a corner. On the other side of the corner street there is a school (entrance is far from our house). Across our street is a house where we face their side. They are also on a corner facing the other way.

I do want to be able to save recordings and am willing to pay for it. I know Ring has a lot of options but...still not sure about Ring and privacy.

At the same time, I don't want to be a Luddite where I get something that isn't connected to the cloud at all. Basically I want to be able to save my recordings to the cloud but I don't want to give them to anyone else.

Any other brands that would work?

I'm fine with another brand. Obviously Ring is just the most well known.

Get this Reolink video doorbell. No subscription necessary- just need a micro SD card to save recordings. Amazon has a $25. off coupon currently. This Reolink replaced my older EZViz doorbell.

The Reolink app works well and I also have it running on my Blue Iris camera server with my other IP security cameras. I find this Reolink to be a good performer. It gets good reviews on the security camera forum ipcamtalk.

https://www.amazon.com/REOLINK-Door...6&sr=1-1-a61ee601-6e56-4862-a8a2-1d3da5a5406f

One thing I like about Ring is that people know to expect it, and know what it is before they get close to a house.

In some ways, it might work kinda like a security sign.

Either way, Amazon is doing a 2nd prime day discount thing this next day or three, so it's a good time to shop.

Prime day is tomorrow and they usually offer a deal on Ring doorbells paired with an Echo display. I paid $50 for mine a couple of years ago and love it.
I have the 2021 wired version and when anyone comes close It alerts me to my kitchen Echo display and I can view the front door. It also alerts my cellphone so I am never out of touch.
They're so good now they can tell if it's a person, animal or package.

The moment my dog hears Echo alert, she springs into action and throws herself against the front door barking viciously. I've seen people jump back on the video, it's so funny. Also I can hear the conversation outside. There were a couple of suspicious looking guys walking the neighborhood, one going to my door and his partner to the house next door and I heard him yell to his partner "they have big dogs in there"

This is a timely topic for me. At our "old" house we had a Vivint doorbell that was so useful.

The "new" house (built in the 1960s) currently has no doorbell at all. It is a split level and usually we can't hear anyone knocking. It clearly had one at one time. There is a chime on the wall and their is a place beside the door where a doorbell would be and it is obvious one was there before...

Can you see the two wires where the push-button was? If you can you can test the chime simply by touching the two wires together.

The moment my dog hears Echo alert, she springs into action and throws herself against the front door barking viciously. I've seen people jump back on the video, it's so funny. Also I can hear the conversation outside. There were a couple of suspicious looking guys walking the neighborhood, one going to my door and his partner to the house next door and I heard him yell to his partner "they have big dogs in there"

i hope you reported that to the local PD.

Back
Top Bottom