How do I know if I need a medicare premium adjustment

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I made a mistake and doubled up on 2022 withdrawals and had a AGI of a little over $300k. Do I have an to pay more for medicare? If I do, does the government tell me? I used turbotax and it didn't tell me I owe more money. My medicare bill has not changed. What's up?

Are you referring to IRMAA?

Last edited:
Yes. Yes. In 2024 (2 year lag).
So then after 2024 it drops off if my income is lower? It will be!
I'll just get a medicare bill that is higher, I don't have to do anything?
Other than pay it.

Last edited:
So then after 2024 it drops off if my income is lower? It will be!
Yes. IRMAA is annual, with a 2 year lag. 2024-25 thresholds (based on 2022-23 MAGI) aren’t published yet but $300K in 2022 probably means you’ll pay 2X Medicare Part B & Part D premiums in 2024 if you’re MFJ. If your income drops below $208K (estimated) in 2023, your Medicare premiums will go back to 1X. Don’t worry, you’ll be notified…you don’t have to do anything.

Oh, geez, by 2024 my wife will be on Medicare also.
Her premium will be higher also?

What are the rules about keeping a a private BCBS policy for an extra year?
I think it would be a lot cheaper for her just to keep her existing policy than paying double for A & B.

I made a mistake and doubled up on 2022 withdrawals and had a AGI of a little over $300k. Do I have an to pay more for medicare? If I do, does the government tell me? I used turbotax and it didn't tell me I owe more money. My medicare bill has not changed. What's up?

Don't worry, Medicare will send you a letter sometime in November telling you about your new (higher) premium for the next year, and if you passed the IRMAA threshold they'll include that information. If you file a joint return, you'll both get the IRMAA letter.

Note that even though they do a two-year lookback, it's 2 years from the UPCOMING year. IOW, they look at your return last year.

I think it would be a lot cheaper for her just to keep her existing policy than paying double for A & B.

First of all you have to call BCBS and ask. They may have exclusions once Medicare kicks in.
She has 7 months to enroll in Medicare. There are Q&As on the Medicare website here: https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-started-with-medicare/sign-up/when-does-medicare-coverage-start

There may be late enrollment penalties. I encourage you to pencil this out, because late enrollment penalties never go away. IRMAA charges go away when income drops based on the look-back period.

Oh, geez, by 2024 my wife will be on Medicare also.
Her premium will be higher also?

Yep.

I don't know if she can avoid IRMAA by delaying signing up for Medicare Part B/D - but might be valuable info for you and others. Good question. However, as the post above notes, there are penalties for delaying Medicare enrollment.

Last edited:
Yep.

I don't know if she can avoid IRMAA by delaying signing up for Medicare Part B/D - but might be valuable info for you and others. Good question. However, as the post above notes, there are penalties for delaying Medicare enrollment.

Check all this out very carefully - officially. Mistakes can be costly.

Back
Top Bottom