How do I "Multi-Quote" in the same reply?

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's been so long since I've done this, I don't remember. Just to be clear on what I am asking, here is a fictitious example:

I click to start a reply quote on a post by Mr. A. I then add some text of my own.

I also want to add a bit of quote from another post in the same thread, from Ms. B. then add more text of my own.

And then add another bit of quote from Mrs. C.

I just don't remember how to do it, and rather than experimenting and making a mess of it, I thought I'd ask first. Remember, "No question is a stupid question" heh heh :D

Go to the first post you want to quote and hit the Multi button there.
Continue hitting the Multi button on each additional post you want to quote.
Then hit the Quote button on the last one you selected.

You then have a draft reply ready with all the others quoted.

Edit the quotes to remove extraneous material, leaving only the relevant parts.

Type in your own comment and hit Submit.

I'm glad you asked as I had NO idea on how this was done either.

one other tip, you can't do your reply with the multi's in the quick reply box, you have to hit the quick reply button and then the multi's should auto fill.

Also, if you hit multi's and then decide not to reply or forget, the next time you do hit a reply there they are.

oh and yes please, always this:

...Edit the quotes to remove extraneous material, leaving only the relevant parts...

Nothing quite like a copy/paste/quote of a 10 paragraph post and a reply of "hah I agree!"

Also, if you hit multi's and then decide not to reply or forget, the next time you do hit a reply there they are.

But don't be concerned about that. You'll see a line underneath your intended post that says you have selected some posts that are not part of the thread, and you'll have an option to deselect them.

Wow - had no idea how that worked!!

I've been doing in manually all these years.

I had concluded that the "Multi-quote this message" button didn't do anything! :facepalm:

... oh and yes please, always this:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
...Edit the quotes to remove extraneous material, leaving only the relevant parts...

Nothing quite like a copy/paste/quote of a 10 paragraph post and a reply of "hah I agree!"

+1

Another tip - when replying to several statements from the same quoted post, cop/paste that original several times, and then edit out all but the part you are addressing. Otherwise, it can be very hard to know just which comment you are responding to.

-ERD50

But don't be concerned about that. You'll see a line underneath your intended post that says you have selected some posts that are not part of the thread, and you'll have an option to deselect them.

Wow - had no idea how that worked!!

I've been doing in manually all these years.

I had concluded that the "Multi-quote this message" button didn't do anything! :facepalm:

If your eyesight is good enough you should see the multiquote button turn a lighter shade of green on each post so you can change your mind and click it again to deselect.

Another tip: When you edit, you'll see a tag which says "Quote" and a reference to the quoted thread, enclosed in square brackets. At the end there's just a slash and the word Quote, again in square brackets.

You can copy and paste these (the whole tag, including the brackets) to make a break in a long quote so you can add your own wise pontifications in the middle. Just be sure to put the starting and ending tags at the beginning and end of whatever section you want displayed as a separate quoted section.

But I agree you always want to keep the quoted text to the minimum needed to correctly convey the other poster's concept.

one other tip, you can't do your reply with the multi's in the quick reply box, you have to hit the quick reply button and then the multi's should auto fill.

oh and yes please, always this:

i am so guilty of this. :flowers: I've also has posters pare down lengthy posts of mine to one sentence and completely change the context of my entire post.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom