How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery?

How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery?

• I'd miss it a lot. I want mail delivery Mon - Sat no matter what.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • As long as post office is opened on Sat. I don't mind no Sat delivery

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • 5 day mail delivery is fine. I use other means (email, autopay, etc.)

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • 5 day mail delivery is fine with me. I mostly get junk mail and bills anyhow.

Votes: 38 36.5%

• Total voters
I wonder if the USPS would ever create an at home service charge for residential delivery?

The problem with this economy and the low volume of mail is that the carrier still has to walk the same route and go to the same houses with less revenue per mailbox.

In the summer we put the mail "on hold" for a month at a time. Then drop in and pick it up when we're in town. Seems to me a monthly delivery would suffice with the ability to pick-up any time the PO is open.

It doesn't matter a bit to me! They could go down to home delivery twice a week, and it wouldn't matter! I receive and pay all of my bills 'online', so I don't have to bother with the 'dead tree' versions of them. About all that we get via USPS are magazines and catalogs.....and, of course, junk!

We keep in contact with friends and family almost completely by email, Facebook, or over the phone. Most purchases that we don't make locally, are made 'online', and delivered by either UPS or FedEx....they both do a much better job (IMHO) than the USPS at package delivery!!!

When we go to FL for a few weeks every year, our neighbor tosses all of our mail in a pile on our living room chair. When we get home we sort it into 3 piles....Mags & Catalogs....enveloped 'real' mail....and junk. The biggest pile is ALWAYS junk, and goes directly (unopened) into the round file. There's usually a half dozen or so enveloped 'real' pieces of mail, and several magazines that we subscribe to (mostly hobby, cooking, or craft), and catalogs of the same type.

So I guess the USPS could actually go down to once a week and we wouldn't give a rip! :D

I feel that how I feel will have no effect on what happens on this or almost any other national political issue.

Ha

In the summer we put the mail "on hold" for a month at a time. Then drop in and pick it up when we're in town. Seems to me a monthly delivery would suffice with the ability to pick-up any time the PO is open.

For the past eighteen months, we have been "on the road" about 50% of the time. We, too, put our mail "on hold" and pick it up at out leisure. At first, I was concerned but quickly found that there was nothing of an "emergency situation" ever delivered by the USPS. Once you have your bills delivered (and/or pay them) electronically the USPS, actually, has no purpose other than one of nostalgia.

As I mentioned earlier, the USPS still has a role to play in the "delivery" business -- the function that Fed Ex and UPS provides. Regular mail is simply a relic of the past... like the world in Black & White.

Before I retired not having the post office open on Saturday would have been a real problem. I worked 20 miles out of town and they opened after I went to work and closed before I got home so Saturday was the only day I could get in.

Having worked for the Post Office for over 25 years, I can add this info:
My belief is that the Postmaster General is threatening 5 day delivery so that he can get Congress to give him other things. He's done this before - 5 day delivery has come up every few years for the last 30 years. He wants Congress to stop making the post office pay $5Billion per year for retiree healthcare (I think they are paying something like 25 years into the future). Congress has to approve this, and I've heard many congressmen/women state "5 days no way."
It affects businesses much more than individuals because they get money in the mail (yes people still send checks).
And if they are not going to close the retail lobby, nor stop the trucks from coming 6 days a week with the mail, then they really aren't going to save much money.

It seems Netflix has spoken - in support of elminating saturday mail delivery.
Netflix Backs U.S. Postal Service Saturday Delivery Cut - Bloomberg
Netflix Inc., which says it’s the largest-growing first-class U.S. Postal Service customer, gave its support to ending Saturday mail delivery. The approval of Netflix, which has more than 14 million subscribers, follows that of Time Warner Inc., publisher of more than 20 U.S. magazines including Sports Illustrated and People. The Postal Service, which says eliminating Saturday delivery would save $3 billion a year, wants to reduce the service to five days a week. The proposal is among a suite of possible changes to plug its deficit.

Once a week is good enough for me.

Hey - that's what I already get! (From my mail forwarding service)

Audrey

We already get 5 day delivery some weeks - like this one. Our mailwoman didn't deliver any mail to our subdivision today. Maybe she'll show up tomorrow, maybe not....

We already get 5 day delivery some weeks - like this one. Our mailwoman didn't deliver any mail to our subdivision today. Maybe she'll show up tomorrow, maybe not....

We don't get 6 day delivery either, for the same reasons. I don't care. Most of my "mail" is just advertising flyers anyway.

This thread was started while colleges were still frantically mailing out their last-chance applications, so perhaps I need to revisit my original assessment.

In the last month I've been able to more accurately gauge the volume of mail that I believe we'll be getting for the rest of our lives, and I've reached a new conclusion: five-day/week mail delivery sucks.

It sucks almost as bad as six-day/week mail delivery.

I think mail delivery should be cut back to one day per week. Tuesday or Thursday is good for me. Otherwise I don't want to have to keep an eye on the mailbox.

When our current mailbox dies its UV death, maybe I should replace it with one of those locked-door models with a mail slot. Then I could stop listening for the mail carrier, no longer worry about theft, and only check the mail when I run out of everything else to do.

Back
Top Bottom