How Do You Feel About Your Upcoming Death

How Do You Feel About Your Upcoming Death
I feel that I should be totally surprised. And not in a "Hey, Bubba, hold my beer & watch this!" manner.

Marshac said:
Apparently I have a fabulous prostate
Well, that's at least #2 on my list of things you don't want to hear from your proctologist.

"Hey, guys, c'mon over here and check this out-- it's fabulous!"

Gpax7 said:
I just hope this country has come to its senses about being able to voluntarily end one's own suffering, should they choose.
I know many a healthy senior who has a little stash of medicine that taken by their doctor's direction has improved the quality of their lives but when they are beyond help with some ultimately terminal condition , they can take care of that too.
Dr. Kevorkian was a political prisoner. WITH THE PROPER SAFEGUARDS IN PLACE, people should have the right to decide how much pain they want to endure.

You might be interested in this organization:

http://www.compassionandchoices.org/

Which supports right to die legislative efforts and provides end of life counseling.

Grumpy

I don't know how I feel..

I know a little about how my mom feels. She's in her mid-70s. My sister was living in LA and they got to see each other about once a year. At one point, I was with my mom and just out of the blue she got a little teary (she's usually a stoical Yankee). :'(

She said: "you know, I'll probably see your sister about ten more times in my life..." THAT really got to me. It's easy to think of ten years as a long time, but she was using a far more important yardstick.

Man is the only animal that knows he will die someday. How does this knowledge affect me? I experienced the death of most of my extended family before I was 14 years old. I was a volunteer Fire and Resuce EMT for several years and worked in Emergency Rooms and hospitals too. Death was never far away so you get to know it pretty well.

Death is not on option. When you die can be for some but is not for most of us. Some of us seem to have a clock that is running backwards and when it gets to zero we die. We can do some really crazy stuff and we sneak past death because our "time" is not up yet. We just don't know when the clock will stop. It could be today...heart attack, car accident, airplane crash, or whatever. Or we could keep on keeping on for 20, 30, 40 or 50 more years. It is the unknown time of this event that keeps us on edge; not the fact that it will happen someday. It it the how and when of it. Will it be painful? Will it be messy? Will I go before my SO? How will it feel? Will I have done all that I wanted to before it happens? Will I have regrets? Will I be ready for the deep sleep? Will it be welcome? These are some of the questions that come to mind.

I would like to think that I will have no regrets and that I will be ready anytime death is ready to take me. I would like to think I will have done all of the important stuff I wanted to do while alive. I would like to outlive my wife. Having done that once already I know what to expect and how to survive it; I would not wish that on anyone, especially someone I love.

My death will most likely be heart related. Family history says that is my highest probability. Anything else would be a suprise. Am I ready today? In some ways yes and in others no. I have some things left to experience in the world, like my unborn grandkids. I don't dwell on my death. My affairs are in order so the financial aspects of it are not a concern. When it comes I will be disappointed but not afraid. I have many people I will enjoy being with again on the other side.

SteveR,
thanks for mentioning that "affairs are in order". It is a great comfort knowing you've done right by your survivors.

I'm fairly young (28), but I like to think I've made my peace with the world.  A few years ago, I had a scare with cancer, but it turned out to be benign.  Of course, there are many things I would still like to see and do, but nothing that would make me feel like I'd really missed out.  I've made a positive impact on quite a few people's lives and had some good times.  I've travelled and seen and done things many people don't do in a full lifespan.

My bigger fear is a protracted, degenerative condition and I believe assisted suicide should be legal.

I've been pretty fortunate over the last 20 or so years and not lost anyone really close to me (besides pets).  I lost 2 grandparents at a young age and 1 was gone before I was born.  My last grandparent is 81 and in her twilight.  Last spring, I spent a week with her in Yuma, AZ just in case it's the last chance I get to spend extended time with her.  My dad will be 63 and probably won't be around in 10 years ( lifelong smoker and not a generally healthy person ).

SteveR said:
Man is the only animal that knows he will die someday. How does this knowledge affect me?

That we know of. I have to think there is a reason dove migrate to a different part of the county prior to bird season, i.e. season is not open in that part, and deer hide more in hunting season. Just because they cannot comunicate their thoughts does not mean they do not have them. Not trying to be difficult, it just got me to thinking, besides I am not sure I want to dwell on the primary question of this thread.

dunc0029 said:
My bigger fear is a protracted, degenerative condition and I believe assisted suicide should be legal.
There are times when I want nothing less than full mobility & sentience with a 9mm healthcare plan.

There are other times when I think of Stephen Hawking, Christopher Reeves, Muhammed Ali, Michael J. Fox... people who arguably have risen to the challenge and maybe even exceeded their life's prior accomplishments... and I think "Why not stick around for a while & see where this goes?"

All those people are wealthy with no worries about the paid health care team. Try being Stephen Hawkings and living in a trailer in Arizona with no AC.

A coworker's father died of Alzheimer's disease not long ago. He spent the last three years in a nursing home. He didn't know he was in a home. He thought he was the boss in a factory. He had stories that made sense of everything that went on around him. Once he fell out of his wheelchair and was found lying on the floor of his bathroom. A nurse came by and asked him what he was doing on the floor. He said "checking the plumbing."

Not a bad way to go; oblivious to reality.

Martha said:
A coworker's father died of Alzheimer's disease not long ago.  ...

Maybe not for him but it is hell for family members.  My mother is in Assisted Living and is still there mentally but the other inmates vary all over the place in their grasp of reality.  It is sad to see the effect this has on their family especially when they don't even recognize their own spouse anymore.  :(

My greatest fear about death was told to me by one of my coworkers about a friend of his wife's.

This woman has no living relatives, was doing well on her own until she fell and broke her hip. After a recuperation in the hospital and then a stay in a nursing home she now has dementia and this fellows wife is her healthcare guardian and executor of her will.  He went on to say how sad it was that she was alone with only his wife to handle things for her.   I truly fear ending up like that, having had no children of my own and a husband 12 years my senior.  Dh tries to reassure me that his kids will be there for me but I figure unless the see a big chunk of change coming down the pike from me they won't bother.

Martha said:
A coworker's father died of Alzheimer's disease not long ago. He spent the last three years in a nursing home. He didn't know he was in a home. He thought he was the boss in a factory. He had stories that made sense of everything that went on around him. Once he fell out of his wheelchair and was found lying on the floor of his bathroom. A nurse came by and asked him what he was doing on the floor. He said "checking the plumbing."

Martha, this guy is my new role model- thx.

and OAP - I haven't laughed so hard at a one-liner here ever. Where is old JG, anyway?

His post count exceeded his IQ and he squirted out of the known universe like a watermellon seed. He's now one with the cosmos.

Jennifer 8 said:
His post count exceeded his IQ and he squirted out of the known universe like a watermellon seed.  He's now one with the cosmos.
Shhhhhhh... he's still dropping by to check these boards, and he's been posting over at Raddr's.

Funny you should ask - just got back from the lawyer drafting my new Missouri will.

Have prepaid my cremation and written detailed instructions for my Viking funeral.

Still need to iron out some details - found some purveyors of Mead on the internet - is it worth the trouble? - or should I pencil in kegs of beer for the drinkers and coffee for the non drink crowd. I passed on the wooden boat/flaming arrows even though we know enough fisherman/bow hunters. Everything is high tech composite now a days.

End of the week - should be all set to croak - and then Bon Temps Rolliere until the time arrives.

heh heh heh

Back
Top Bottom