How many cars per driver in your household?

How many vehicles per driver in your household?

• None

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Less than 1 (e.g., 1 car for 2 of you)

Votes: 34 14.7%

Votes: 94 40.7%
  • Between 1 & 2 (e.g., 3 cars for 2 of you)

Votes: 40 17.3%

Votes: 26 11.3%
  • more than 2

Votes: 35 15.2%

• Total voters
One for two.
2007 Audi A3 with 54K miles. We now average about 4200 miles year.
Have been a one car family for over 10 years.

Our next car will be an EV Crossover. We are just waiting for a better selection.

Three right now. Two for me, one for her.

I'd have more, but garage space is filled. :)
If I’d ever had a 3 (or more) car garage I’d have been tempted to own a sportscar (e.g Z3, Miata, 1961 Ferrari 250GT SWB California Spider, other) but every house we’ve owned has had the standard 2 car garage.

Way more than the poll upper limit of 2 or more. Have 11 vehicles, 2 drivers. Although technically one of the vehicles is not drivable at this time since I have it taken apart. 5 of the vehicles are older classic vehicles, and 1 is our motorhome. Even taking those out, have 5 daily driver type vehicles for 2 drivers.
Well, you still have a category to fit in, "more than 2". I know there are a few hobbyists/collectors here, but I wasn't interested in differentiating beyond more than 2 per driver.

Last edited:
Since we live next door to each other, if one car or the other is in the shop then we aren't stranded.
That's yet another aspect of the great setup you have with F.
I thought about getting another vehicle, but see no justification for it. I can only drive one at a time and if I had two, I'd probably prefer one and the other would just sit in the garage. Kudos to those of you who have two and drive both but I probably wouldn't.

I would have liked to have a cute little convertible Miata or something back in my 40's or 50's, but I am 71 and now I prefer something extremely easy to get into and out of like my Venza. Besides, it rains a lot in New Orleans and people with convertibles don't get to put the top down as often as they might like, here.
It is hard to justify more than 1 car per driver for most of us. I got mine 18+ years ago to celebrate a financial goal, and it's cost me very little since then, so I've never regretted getting it.

Once in awhile I feel like it's been awhile since I've driven the Miata and I really have to drive it, but usually I get it out enough. The value of used Miatas, especially the first generation, is going up, so keeping mileage low is a real benefit. I've gone from thinking I'd drive it into the ground to being willing to sell if the price gets right.

The nice thing about a convertible is that it's really easy to get in and out of with the top down. I pull the top up on mine in the garage to keep dust out, but don't latch it, so it's a simple move to drop the top. That's one reason I haven't upgraded it, because I love the manual mechanism to raise or lower it.

We each have our own car, but no extra vehicles or toys beyond that.

A couple years ago I restored my 1976 Rabbit and licensed it as a collector car. However, after buying a new car for my daily driver, I realized I didn't want another car just sitting around in the garage taking up space. I also didn't want to maintain another vehicle. So after spending a year fixing it up, I sold my Rabbit to a young guy who basically undid most of the work I had done to it. :)

Just me and down to 2 cars.
2014 Camry and 2005 Miata.
Been trying to find a deal on a van or Class B. Might pick one up this year anyway.

Can't imagine us scheduling our lives around car availability. Repairs that get us down to one for a short period are a pain.

2012 Cadillac for whenever I feel like it.
2016 4x4 pickup truck for the camp/mancave runs in the mountains.
1999 3/4 ton gas guzzler suburban to haul my 40lb 18' kayak to the lake.

Since we live next door to each other, if one car or the other is in the shop then we aren't stranded.
That's yet another aspect of the great setup you have with F.
I really like our setup, and would recommend it to any other deeply committed couples who prefer not to marry for whatever reasons. Back when we were working, F always had two vehicles so that if one broke down, he could still get to work. But now, he just has one and that works out nicely for him in retirement.

Living next door to each other is sort of like having a spare of everything. His washer broke down a couple of years ago, for example, and so he does his laundry over here. Eventually he will buy another washer for his house, but there is no rush since he is on a shoestring budget. I don't mind that he does laundry over here, and actually like it because we chat and enjoy each other's company while his laundry is going; besides, it's not like the laundry for two people is going to wear out my new (in 2015) oversized LG washer any time soon, and my water bill is still always the minimum amount.

6 drivers 7 cars and one motorcycle. The 7th car is just a spare when we have a breakdown and the motorcycle is my toy.

Two cars for two people. My car is my daily driver, bad weather car, fun to drive car and hauler (although I have never needed to haul much, so that made it a bit easier).

2 for 2.
We replaced both cars before retirement, due to great deal at 0% interest. Thought about only getting one car, but since we both were still working, we needed two.
2015 loaded XLE Avalon, 2016 loaded XLE Camry.
Eventually, we will move to only one car. But since we drive so much less now in retirement, these two will last forever! We tend to keep cars until they drop.

DW and I had 4 for years. We sold her old Acura last June and we now have 2012 Acura TL, 2017 F-150 4x4 crew cab and a 2001 corvette.

I used to drive the corvette to work spring, summer, fall, but now it only gets a few hundred miles per year. I may sell it in the spring. Not easy to get in and out of. And can't go a lot of places that I want to go now. I'm not really a car guy anymore - I'd rather have a jeep. And I may get one if I sell the corvette.

We go down to 1 car during snowbird season, and it really isn't an inconvenience. So I don't dread the day that we ratchet down to 1 vehicle.

Right now we’ve got 4 vehicles between the two of us.

2009 Escape (140k, my daily driver)
2018 Pacifica (DW’s dog hauler)
2009 Ford pickup (it’s long paid for and who doesn’t need a pickup?)

2011 RAV4. (DW’s previous daily driver, will sell it at some point)

Four vehicles including a motorhome for 2 persons. Dirt bikes are not counted, and they are not street legal anyway.

8 vehicles, 4 drivers.

One of the vehicles bought new (over a decade ago)...one leased...one just bought (used)...the rest free from relatives.

2012 Honda Fit her 'city' car and 2013 Silverado 1500 1/2 ton bench seat full bed for 'da Farm'. Plus an electric lithium battery 48 volt Polaris and three wheel 36 volt Westinghouse Marketeer. I've put solar panels on the roof for tooling around the fields.

heh heh heh - next if the 'hobby bug' bites - electric tractor. :facepalm: ;)

2 cars for 2 people here. Can't imagine us not each having our own car. If one has to go to the car hospital for any reason you're in a bind.

But our block is fairly atypical. One guy lives alone and has four cars (all new and expensive). The deal for many of the rest seems to be one daily driver for each, plus one fun convertible (BMW or MB) plus an SUV to haul the grandchildren.

I used to drive the corvette to work spring, summer, fall, but now it only gets a few hundred miles per year. I may sell it in the spring. Not easy to get in and out of. And can't go a lot of places that I want to go now. I'm not really a car guy anymore - I'd rather have a jeep. And I may get one if I sell the corvette.
Let's hold on a minute and think about this... I too quit driving Corvettes for much the same reason. Every year it was harder and harder to get in and out of the dang things. So I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'm still a Car-Guy:cool:. And while the Jeep GC isn't as cool looking as the Vette, it's a lot more comfortable, very easy to get in and out of, very roomy, and has most of the latest electronic gadgets. And if you buy the right model Jeep GC, it will outrun a Vette in the 1/4. Sooooo, you can still be a Car Guy with a Jeep and have the best of both worlds. Of course a Jeep equipped like that will cost a little more than a Vette, but hey, its only money.

Last edited:
We currently have 4 vehicles for the two of us:

1. 2019 Subaru Forester... This is our latest addition to the fleet. We needed something dependable for long road trips with AWD for camping/hiking/biking in remote areas. We installed a hitch, bike rack, and a roof-top cargo carrier. We generally only use this car when going on trips or the long trek to DS's house for babysitting duty.

2. 2006 BMW 325i... DW's main car. She loves it and refuses to let it go. I hate it because it's so expensive to have serviced and has constant problems. I'll admit, it is a lot of fun to drive on two-lane country highways when everyone else is at work.

3. 2001 Chevrolet Suburban... My main car. I'm 6-4 and this car is very comfortable for me with great visibility. I can put all the back seats down and easily haul multiple 4X8 sheets of plywood. And it's long enough for 10-ft 2X4s inside. Our canoe fits on top. It's also useful if we have 7-8 people going somewhere and we want to take one vehicle.

4. 1997 Ford Ranger... This was my main vehicle before the Suburban. We kept it because it's very useful for hauling stuff like dirt, mulch, firewood, washing machines, refrigerators, etc. It doesn't get very much use on a daily basis but it's not worth anything if I sold it, so we keep it around for now.

We'll probably get rid of the Ranger and BMW in the next few years. But we'll keep the Suburban until the wheels fall off just because it is so useful for so many different things. We might add a camper van at some point.

Just me and 3 cars.

2004 PT Cruiser Stick Shift, 156K miles my favorite and it's my dog and stuff hauler. Sadly I've lost my 2 old dogs in the past 2 years, 2nd one just last week on Christmas day so no real reason to keep anymore. It has no real resale value so I just keep it.

2013 Sonata, great gas mileage and very comfortable car. 80K miles

2014 Mitsubishi SUV, 41K impulse purchase and hardly ever gets used nowadays.

I used to drive 150 miles a day when I was working so I shifted between cars regularly but I think I only did a max of 3000 total miles last year. I should and probably will cut it down to one car soon but I've been saying that for the last two years now... My kids borrow one from time to time if they ever have a need.

We've managed with one vehicle since DW lost her license 18 years ago (medical reasons). I know she'd like to drive if she could, just for the independence. For now, she loves driving the JD lawn tractor around the property... lol

When I make the transition from SemiRE to full RE in the next couple of years, I am toying with the idea of buying a Sprinter or Transit in order to do a van conversion project. We'd like to take some road trips out to Labrador and the Yukon in one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom