How many people you know retired early?

As a consequence of a corporate merger, my dad retired involuntarily at 59 and just barely made it (financially) to 62 and social security. A guy down the street is a retired firefighter in his 50's with a very good pension. I also know a guy who sold his business in his early 40's for multi-millions, then bought another in a different part of the country. He has since sold that and is really retired now (early 50's). Other than that, I don't know any early retirees.

Very few. My dad retired at age 60 (not sure if that is "early" or not). He had earned good money throughout his sales career, saved and had a nice nestegg and just decided to hang it up.

A work colleague who came from money and was a good investor, retired at 50 and had investments and a db plan available at 55 to him. While he enjoyed not working, he was a bit frustrated by not being able to find many other his age to "play" with during the week.

And me, not fully retired but since age 53 have worked only 50% time - minimum needed to still get health insurance - and still enjoy my work and the 50% still provides for our modest lifestyle and additional retirement savings.

Several teachers, some military, a few corporate, one banker, couple of attorneys--either people who had good pensions or people who were in very good-paying jobs. (If married, they're both RE'd in my count--didn't include where one has RE'd while the other still is employed.)

1 couple, probably in their early 50's. It's a cousin of a friend. Hear he was a partner at a benefits service provider company and he sold off his partnership share and walked away. His wife worked there too, but wasn't at that level.

How many people you know retired early?
My father ER'd to care for my mother during her end-stage cancer. After she died he returned to "part-time work, 40 hours per week" on a couple engineering projects but soon came to his senses, ER'd for good, and redesigned his life around hiking the Rockies. He kept it up from early 1988 to late 2010 and today, as he struggles with Alzheimer's/dementia, I don't think he regrets a single choice he made during those 22 years.

My father-in-law took an unexpected buyout at age 59. He worked decades of nights/weekends/holidays overtime at CBS News so it wasn't really that "E" of an "ER". I think he would've fallen back into contract work if my MIL hadn't grabbed him by the neck and made him start visiting their favorite Civil War battlefields until he settled into their retirement routine.

My brother is contemplating a frugal RV vagabond ER in 2-3 years. At this point it's difficult to distinguish his planning talk from "just one more year" syndrome, but he can pull it off. He'll probably always have some sort of revenue-producing entrepreneurial lifestyle venture simmering on the back burner.

My brother-in-law is going to work through his mid-50s, at which point his spouse will be age 55 and able to ER at a reduced pension with her company health insurance. He's been planning this since the 1990s. He's a tax CPA who won't miss the Feb-Apr slog one bit.

And... that's it. No one else in our neighborhood or social circle has ER'd. We know several military veterans who are working in their 80s with the attitude of "What the hell else would I do?!?" (Admittedly they've "cut back" to 20-30 hours/week.)

EDIT: [-]We don't know any shipmates who've managed to ER, although s[/-] Several are working on convincing their spouses that it's time to stop working.

My spouse has reminded me that we do know two shipmates who ER'd in their early 40s to adopt a frugal "Work Less, Live More" lifestyle. They share a house, sell their crafts, and occasionally bag groceries for a big purchase or a special trip. Another one ER'd in her early 40s to run her (deceased) parent's charitable foundation, but she's technically drawing a salary/expenses from the foundation as well as her military pension.

Are we a fortunate anomaly or what?
I prefer to think of it as "working our assets off until luck happened".

And the automotive early retirees in Michigan include both union and salaried employees.
Yeah, but the downside to their scheme is that they had to live in Michigan and work in an automotive plant...

Last edited:
Both DH and I were in downsizing environments. We were both sick of the resulting workplaces. We quit at 49 in '96 and set off to explore the states full time in an RV. In our travels, we met a group of boomer age RVers, so I know a lot of early retirees. Some were retired military, some took early outs, some had major illnesses, and some were like us...sick of work! There were very few of us whose only income was from our own assets.

My self-employed father sold his business (no, he did not get a windfall from it) and ER'd at 55 living off investments. He did not expect to live to 65 (family history) but made it to 79. He always said it was retiring when he did that kept him healthy and going strong so long.

I have a friend my age here who ER'd from a state job with a pension a few years ago, but her husband is still working.

And my college roommate ER'd a year before I did, taking a nice buyout package during a corporate downsizing. Her husband has semi-ERd from his big law firm as well.

A few coworkers of mine retired early just before I did in 2008.

One was in her mid-50s, 55 I believe. She, childfree like me, lived with her sister and they had moved from NYC to eastern PA around 2003. I believe she was grandfathered under the company's rules for pension and retiree health benefits, so she was covered. She was also vested, of course.

Another was a man, around 55, whose wife was still working so he was covered under her HI. Like my female coworker, he was also grandfathered and vested under all the old benefit rules.

Another coworker, a woman, was in her early 60s. A former teacher, she had not worked for my company as long as I had, but was still barely grandfathered in because of her age. She was widowed just before she retired. I do not know what benefits she retained from her teaching days, though.

Another coworker, a man, was childfree like I am. He retired in 2003 at age 59 after getting married 3 years earlier. Sadly, he passed away in 2009 at age 65.

Career military and federal and state employees who were offered incentives during reductions in staffing.

Also some Megacorp people whose plants were moved out of state to warmer places or overseas.

I am the only person I know of my age (48 yo in 2007) who FIREd. The circumstances that allowed that to happen were not entirely of a pleasant nature.

.............Yeah, but the downside to their scheme is that they had to live in Michigan and work in an automotive plant...

Some worked in the assembly plant. I worked in a research and engineering center - pretty much a typical cubeville with labs and a test track.

Weather sucks half of the year.

I don't know anyone personally who ERed. I know a few people who made seven/eight/nine figures but did not retire (two of those may be but I lost touch). I told one friend to move to Florida and then diversify his single stock portfolio, he did not and still working.

Lots of ER'd folks in our lives.

DW retired at 55 from a career in public education. The state was offering incentives to retire early so a number of her friends left as well at about the same age. We still see several of them from time to time.

I got canned by MegaCorp during a downsizing at 58 and decided to call it RE. A number of friends, also in their mid to late 50's, were tossed out as well and were also able to throw in the towel on working. Many of those folks are still on our list of friends.

Amongst college and grad school friends, I would say that about one half were able to RE by 60. Can't think of any who won't be in good shape at 65. A couple will probably be working until 70 or later because they own businesses that I don't think they'll want to give up or that they will have difficulty selling because their personal involvement is key.

Sources of income seem to be varied. Many are like us with pensions and SS playing an equal roll with FIRE portfolio withdrawals. The folks I admire the most are those doing it on only FIRE portfolio withdrawals and where those portfolios were assembled from the ground up by saving and investing during working years (no inheritance, no lottery, etc.).

Generally, lots of examples of FIRE'd folks in our lives and very few situations, at least that we're aware of, of folks who will be struggling in retirement.

I know quite a few who have with state pensions. My husband is eligible for one right now, but is waiting for a year or two so it will be higher.

I do not know anyone that has retired early voluntarily. I would retire now somewhat early if I had healthcare insurance.

My Dad retired at 57, but he had disability income that made it possible. My brother retired at 50. And I have one good friend who retired around the age of 48. I know several that have semi-retired.

My dad retired at 62 with a generous pension. He would normally have been expected to work till age 65, but he was fed up with the crap.

One of my girlfriends retired from teaching at ~47. She and DH are very LBYM.

Two of my girlfriends have DHs who retired early; one because of a disability, and the other because he lost his job and was enjoying himself too much as a househusband.

Most of my close friends have worked in the medical profession so they really don't retire . They just keep cutting back on hours until they are no longer working . Most of them start this process in their mid 50's.

Lots of people that I know retired early. Lots of them didn't. Some never retired. And some retired early, couldn't adjust to it, and went back to work.

I know that my choice to plan for retirement and finally retire when I did, was the right decision for me. Early retirement is neither the right decision for everyone, nor a possibility for everyone, sadly.

I went to a retirement "seminar" about a year ago and they talked about ER 'triggers' - pensions, SS, 65, illness, laid off, fired, death in the family, inheritance, etc. Basically they made you believe that to retire before 62, you needed one of these triggers. And these people were professional financial planners (or salesman, I suppose). So, I'm trying to figure out what my trigger was going to be. I just didn't like my job anymore and had enough money, but I spent about 3 lousy months working and thinking about that trigger. My company isn't doing well financially, so maybe that was my trigger. Nope, they're still kicking. So at 54, I'm calling it quits with no trigger. Apparently, it isn't too common these days.

Both my grandfathers retired before 60. One lived off rental income, not sure about the other. They both died in their very early 60's. They also lived very frugally. My dad quit working at 57, just after my mom passed away. He was a home builder, had around 15 employes. He was actuality happy with the fact that I was ER at 50. He is 75 now and has often said he should have quit sooner.

None of my friends at work have retired early, one friend was actually working at the hospital the day before he died. I have a few friends outside work that have retired, but they are pretty close to 60. I have many friend that own their own business and are basically only working part time now. They have no problem making our standing 12:30 Tee time.

I,m sure many of my friends from work have a hard time understanding how someone can give up a six figure income, but like my grandfathers and my dad, I've. Alway's lived below my means and saved my money. And I've been blessed with a wife who is the same.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your anecdotes.

It seems to me that a large percentage of early retirees have pensions, and quite often health care coverage too. Also, for many, early retirement means in the early 60s or at best late 50s. It means fewer scary years to bridge the gap until SS and Medicare kick in.

I really think very few can (or dare to) retire in the early 50s, or late 40s. And by retiring, I mean one who needs no earned income, and that includes income from a spouse. I know several women, including my sister-in-law, who left the work force early, but their husbands still work. That does not count!

I prefer to think of it as "working our assets off until luck happened".
More like "sh!t" happened in our case!

If it weren't for my start-up ventures going belly up, and for my wife's megacorp environment getting too toxic for her, we would still be working. Knowing nobody else who retired early, it just did not seem right to us. Because of our work environments, people that we knew were mostly megacorp workers. As they all earn salaries comparable to us, surely they should be able to save as much as we have, and should be able to ER too. But they don't. Of course many are caught up on the hedonic threadmill, and do not have much of a portfolio to even dream of financial independence.

In our case, it was just too scary to think of a life without an umbilical cord to a megacorp. How can one survive without a fixed, known amount deposited to one's account every two weeks? How can one face the uncertainty of health care cost without the employer's plan? It surely did not seem possible to us.

I really admire those who threw in the towel and walked away cold-turkey, because we got to where we are gradually. First, as I left my secure megacorp environment and entered the "dog-eat-dog" small business world, my income fluctuated so much, and we had to rely on my wife's salary alone for a while. And then, as I was debating whether to go back to work full-time as my poor wife was crying her eyes out over the torment at her work place, I had an epiphany.

Hey, there are a lot of people out there who are small business owners. There are small shop owners, farmers, individual contractors, and free-lancers who have no steady income stream like us megacorp and gummint desk jockeys. The uncertainty that we were about to face, these people have to live with their entire life. And we now have a reasonable 7-figure portfolio, that most of the people out there would never dream of. Why were we so afraid?

Of course, one of the reasons we were afraid was that our lifestyle, frugal as it was, was still higher than that of those intrepid souls that could manage outside of the umbrella of a big brother. I wanted to be sure that it would work, and our situation allowed us to ease into it. Most of my friends who were involved in the start-up ventures have gone back to the megacorp world, clocking 8 hours a day, counting their time until the day they are given a little party at work, then walk out to their car one last time carrying a box of personal belongings and some office mementos.

So, I still think we are an anomaly. Perhaps not as rare as I thought until I came to this forum, but we are still a small minority. And as I did not quit cold-turkey like some others, I am not all that audacious after all.

I know quite a few. From ages 25 to now 69. The most interesting ones are the emails I get from people who found my blog and tell me they did more or less the same thing I did and retired in their 30s. People who retired in the 20s are few and far in between. I only know one.

Me being an ER pensioner, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people on here who have done it on their own through their own investment vehicles. My employer took the 13.5 percent out, matched it and when it's time to retire, you collect the check. The ERs without pensions had to discipline themselves to invest (that is no easy thing in an of itself), invest in the correct manner, be knowledgable of how to do it, set up appropriate draw down rates, worry about not outliving resources, and have to worry about things beyond their control such as market downdrafts. Almost a full time job in an of itself!

Me being an ER pensioner, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people on here who have done it on their own through their own investment vehicles. My employer took the 13.5 percent out, matched it and when it's time to retire, you collect the check. The ERs without pensions had to discipline themselves to invest (that is no easy thing in an of itself), invest in the correct manner, be knowledgable of how to do it, set up appropriate draw down rates, worry about not outliving resources, and have to worry about things beyond their control such as market downdrafts. Almost a full time job in an of itself!

+1

My friend retired from the FBI at 57 with full pension and health benefits. And it was a mandatory retirement.

Back
Top Bottom