How Much Do You Share Here?

I am not paranoid but I do my best to hide who I am online. I really doubt I need to because no one knows me for the most part. However, if someone who did know me read my posts I doubt they'd make the connection - I work at making that happen! ;)

I hate FB and stay away from it like the ebola virus but have an account for a couple of people for whom there is no other means of communicating. My name is not mine and any info is so totally wrong you wouldn't know it was me.

On forums I often change facts and details in posts where I ask questions if they are of a personal nature (typically financial). I don't want to have them out there so while my basic question and premise are apt they are not always factual but the deception won't skew the answers I hope to receive. That said I believe I have stated my actual pension and SS here (once just once) and I have posted some actual financial values but I feel safe since I think (?) I'm incognito. Famous last words huh!

I never post the same text in multiple forums I'm on, that's an obvious cross reference. I seldom will post about something in more than one forum just to avoid that connection. There are a couple of forums where I use the actual state and town where I live and do post actual facts vs similar facts but that's because it is pertinent to the purpose and nature of those forums and associated posting. Many things I post in other forums would qualify as hate speech in Canada but we have freedom of speech here and in those forums it is permissible to discuss these things. That said I'm careful to never post anything that could get me in real trouble such as threats or anything that is illegal, we all know law enforcement can collect info about you from your ISP and find EVERYTHING you EVER posted online, it NEVER goes away.

And yet with all that there is a forum where my actual name, town and state have been spread around by someone so my screen name is directly associated with me. Needless to say that screen name is not used anywhere else. It was innocuous but angered me because while she (and many others there) are well know all over the world she thinks everyone is OK with actual info. :( This is one reason why I'm so careful to never allow enough info out there to make the connections across various forums I am active on. Besides that it is my nature to be tight lipped, not talk about myself and being a bit of a reclusive ISTJ it just comes naturally.

Did I mention people wear me out, yeah I have! :dance:

I try to strike a balance between being too boring and anonymous and allowing someone to reverse engineer my posts and figure out who I am :).

A search on Google for NW-Bound shows 24,700,000 hits. Holy mackerel! I did not know I posted that much, and on so many places.

A search on Google for NW-Bound shows 24,700,000 hits. Holy mackerel! I did not know I posted that much, and on so many places.

Security through obscurity. Nice.

Back
Top Bottom