Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Something between 1 and 5 million would suit me

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I wouldn't sell for less than 5 million

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • You're crazy, I'd never sell my life

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
How does a "rug store assistant" obtain a 420K house?

ARM, I guess? :)

He's not selling his "life," according to the article, but just his job, home and friends. If that's all it is, if I were single and unattached I'd consider a million or two for that. But as long as I'm blissfully married to my best friend (16 years now), no amount of money would do it.

It's actually kind of an interesting question. The job and home would go pretty darn cheap, but when I considered giving up friends, $1M wasn't enough.

Coach

Don't have job.

House is not worth very much.

Define friends.

The house I can see....what did his employer and his friends think of this idea?

Sell my material things....sure.
Sell my friends.....never.
Sell my relatives.....hmmmm.

Selling my relatives would be a slam-dunk..........:D

Some of my relatives are, well .... PRICELESS... so I guess I would just have to try to just give them away.:D

It turns out that he sold his "life" (the package deal) for less than the house was reported to be worth. From Fox News:

FOXNews.com - Auction Ends for Australian Man's Life, Disappointed With Final Price - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

"Bidding closed Sunday and reached nearly $384,000 — an amount Usher said his house in the western city of Perth was worth on its own. Usher said he had hoped to get at least $480,000 (a half-million Australian dollars) for his life — his house and all its contents, car and a motorcycle, a jet ski, skydiving gear, an introduction to friends and a trial period in his sales job — but that the final result was enough for him to make a new start in life."

Hmmm---has Australia had the same decrease in home values as the US? Possessions usually can't be sold for as much as their purchase price, but you would think some of that stuff would have some value and that someone would want it.

The intro to his friends and the two-week trial period in his job are interesting as the gimmick that completes the sale of his life, but raelly kind of meaningless since the frineds and the jobs may not last beyond the initial intro/trial period.

The guy has some interesting travel plans for the next six months:

100Goals100Weeks.com - Ian Usher has sold his life, what is he doing next?

This explains how he was able to the purchase his property:

100Goals100Weeks.com - Ian Usher has sold his life, what is he doing next?

He has a bachelor's in Outdoor Education---owned a jet ski business.

On his blog, he lists 100 goals to be accomplished in 100 weeks. It definitely will be a very full life for the next couple of years if he succeeds---but when publicity (or his money) wanes, it's possible that he won't attempt all the goals....

Bidding closed Sunday and reached nearly $384,000 — an amount Usher said his house in the western city of Perth was worth on its own
so once you take the house out of the picture, he's worthless; probably what his ex had concluded as well.

Back
Top Bottom