How to answer all the naysayers?

Some really great responses in this thread I may have to borrow! I usually chicken out with a "semi-retired" or "consulting" response - I think I'll start being a bit more cheeky!

I have just started my ER journey at age 50. I'm wondering how you have handled the complete lack of understanding-from everyone! My sisters, my friends, old co-workers, neighbors, no one can really comprehend that I don't need to work. Do I say I'm semi-retired? Do I say I'm a day trader? Any tips for how to navigate the waters would be appreciated!!!

I retired at 61, so I haven't really had that sort of response from people, except at work just before I retired. Those people at my work were just having trouble figuring out how to get things done that I used to do in the organization, and couldn't imagine me as having a life beyond those organizational functions.

But if I did get that sort of response from people, I'd be inclined to give them a week or two to adjust to my newly retired situation. Then if they kept up that sort of thing I'd slowly phase them out of my life. I would suggest that you absolutely do NOT lie to people about your work status or try to mislead them. You have nothing to be ashamed of, and every reason to be happy and content with reaching your goals.

I would suggest that you absolutely do NOT lie to people about your work status or try to mislead them. You have nothing to be ashamed of, and every reason to be happy and content with reaching your goals.

I couldn't agree more. I've never had the negative reaction some are claiming but I certainly wouldn't lie to avoid it. Retiring early is an accomplishment based on hard work, saving, and living within your means. It's something to be proud of. Not "throw it in their face" proud, but proud nonetheless.

Reactions: W2R
imo - answer is pretty easy (and still be honest):

"I'm not cutout for work. For time being I will try to survive on meager savings."

In few years.. no one will ask anything.

People who ask me get my standard "I found work to be highly overrated" answer. If they ask beyond that I just say I made good money working and invested it smartly.

I used to get questioned about RE.
Unfortunately you'll out grow it.

Edit to add:
Now I just tell people I'm unemployable, which is true.

Last edited:
I just relate the facts of my particular situation: "I'm long term unemployed after MegaCorp fired my sorry ass at 58 almost 17 years ago. I haven't managed a single day of paid work since then and exhausted my unemployment benefits many years ago." I try to say it in a tone seeking empathy and pity. Follow-up questions are rare. It's blissfully entertaining to watch folks reach for words and not seem to be able to know what to say!

As I've said here before I tell people I'm "long-term unemployed" just to see how they then choose to treat me.

Retired at 53 June 6 2015. I always had an interest in the markets, so I think family & friends just assumed that was the reason. To be totally honest, I felt a little guilty when the subject would come up, as I have a few cousins very close to my age who will never be able to retire as comfortably as I did @ 53.

One outspoken naysayer, was a fellow employee. He retired the same year, at age 67, because he was bound & determined to get the full SS amount. Nothing wrong with that, but when he told me "you'll never make it financially retiring @ age 53" I can't help but feel satisfied :)

Full Disclosure: I have a fairly generous private sector defined benefit pension plan, which is fairly rare nowadays. I've been lucky/blessed

I don't get the fibbing. I've always just said "I'm retired". If it bothers them, too bad. If they say that I'm too young to be retired I tell them that they're too old to be working.

My DW also takes me too literally when I pull her leg but YMMV.

I waffle between, "I'm retired," and, "I'm unemployed." Neither has gotten much comment.

My family and close friends know I retired early. My mom was jealous, but she was that type of person. Nothing I could have said would have made it easier for her to swallow. Everyone else was happy for me.

+1. I just laughed it off and changed the subject when I retired early. There’s no answer to satisfy others, don’t bother. But I didn’t worry what anyone else thought at all. Why should you?

So true. We spend zero time caring about what others think about what we do or how we live our life.

If we did we would not have been able to retire early. We would have been too busy keeping up with the Jones, investing the same way and at the same time as the rest of the crowd (or not at all), or not accepting opportunities and moves that others may have felt were unwise.

It is unclear to me why someone who asks impolite, inappropriate, or highly personal questions should expect a polite answer or any answer. We view money and financials as a very private matter. Nor do we spend our time wondering how others did or did not retire early or not at all.

Besides, if someone really needs to ask it simply an indication that they are less than astute or do not know you well enough to ask something like that.

Last edited:
It's rarely necessary, but if I have to, I say I'm no longer working full time / stopped working for big corporations, and now make a little money from my hobbies. That's true. I've made about $50 per year for the past few years from hobby sales! :dance:

Some really great responses in this thread I may have to borrow! I usually chicken out with a "semi-retired" or "consulting" response - I think I'll start being a bit more cheeky!

I heard someone on this board refer to themselves as "self-unemployed"...that's one of my favorites. :)

When asked if I was retired I used to say I was too young to be retired, I'm just tired.
Now I am old enough to be retired.

Where do you work? Retired

How did you do it? Learned about compounding math in college. Over 30 years it worked.

What do you do now? Play pickleball

What did you used to do for work? Don’t remember.

Don't you think that's a bit awkward?

Every Acquaintance Everywhere: "Hey, Jim Bob how have you been? What are you doing these days, where are you w*rking?"

Jim Bob: Blank stare.

Whenever I've run into people I haven't seen in awhile, they usually just say "How's work?" or "Are you still at the same place?" or perhaps, "anything new and exciting going on at work?" or something similar.

I'm still working for the time being, so that takes care of that, but if I was retired, I could still just be vague with answers such as "fine", "Yep", and "Same old, sameold" and then move on to the next subject.

Part of my issue is we are from a small community, Ive taken care of thousands over the years, and they actually ran a story with my picture in the local paper about me retiring...
So every were I go I get asked by somebody

Where do you work? Retired

How did you do it? Learned about compounding math in college. Over 30 years it worked.

What do you do now? Play pickleball

What did you used to do for work? Don’t remember.

Love it!
Once you hit the "math" equation, they will most likely look at you with open mouth stare, not understanding :)

Me: "I'm retired now."
Them: IF they ask "Why?" or "How?" or "What?", etc.
Me: "I worked hard and I saved and invested my money and I don't need to work to give myself something to do."
Perfect response - especially the part about I don't need to work to give myself something to do. Unfortunately, for those who don't get it, you can't explain it to them.

Perfect response - especially the part about I don't need to work to give myself something to do. Unfortunately, for those who don't get it, you can't explain it to them.

That last part could be a deal breaker for some. I have to manage my own life in retirement. Not everyone can handle that; some people need to be told what to do.

Part of my issue is we are from a small community, Ive taken care of thousands over the years, and they actually ran a story with my picture in the local paper about me retiring...
So every were I go I get asked by somebody

Would this work?

Other guy: Hi, old medic, how are you doing these days? I read in the local paper that you actually retired. But you're so young! How's that working out for you?

You: It's been great. I love being retired. But hey, how's your job at Megacorp working out? Lot of interesting projects and responsibilities these days, I'd imagine.

Other guy: I'm now the head of the Whatchamacallit Development Team, and it's really pretty great work. We're putting a new Whatchamacallit on the market next week!

You: Oh cool! What an honor for you. And I need a new Whatchamacallit - - I'll check the new one out as soon as it shows up in local stores. Does it have four gears or five?

Then the conversation veers over to what he's doing. Most people really want to talk about themselves and their own accomplishments anyway.

Would this work?

Other guy: Hi, old medic, how are you doing these days? I read in the local paper that you actually retired. But you're so young! How's that working out for you?

You: It's been great. I love being retired. But hey, how's your job at Megacorp working out? <snip>...

Most people really want to talk about themselves and their own accomplishments anyway.

This exactly, for anyone getting these questions, just come up with the quickest redirect back to the questioner to talk about themselves, and almost 100% will gleefully take you up on the opening.

Back
Top Bottom