How To Determine The Correct Policy Limits Of An Umbrella Liability Policy

rk911

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is a companion thread to the other currently running asking what policy limits we're carrying on an umbrella liability policy.
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/umbrella-renewal-104132-3.html#post2439676
that thread, as well as an accident I had this weekend (while climbing a ladder to get onto my roof to blow off all the accumulated crud since last fall the ladder gave way beneath me dropping me about 5'. got banged up pretty good. i found out that at nearly 70 I don't bounce nearly as well as I used to. :LOL:), got me to wondering if my wife and I have enough coverage. we hire lots of folks to do work in and around the house..landscaping, house cleaning, tree trimming, etc. I've got a crew coming on Thursday to complete the work on the roof.

we currently have $1M in general liability and another $1M in uninsured/not insured motorist coverage. is $1M enough if one of our hired workers gets hurt on our property. I don't know. they all have their own coverage but that doesn't stop any of them from filing and possibly collecting. we travel 5000+ miles per year in our motorhome. to a lot of people "motorhome = deep pockets".

we've had this policy at least since 2008 (the last year I can lay my hands on documentation but no doubt much earlier since we had it well before I retired in 2005). in that same time frame our net worth has doubled.

several posts in the original thread indicated they are considering increasing coverage. so, how did/do you all determine just how much original coverage you now have and how often do you review it?

This topic has been discussed here many times with the general consensus is to have enough coverage to make it worthwhile for the insurance company's lawyers to defend and challenge the claim.

The umbrella limit is above the underlying homeowners policy limit so if you carry 500K on your HO policy you have a total of 1.5M in coverage.

Umbrella coverage is cheap so paying a couple of hundreds dollars for an additional 1 Million of coverage is worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Since you are a rich old geezer living in IL, you should have 2 Million Umbrella. ;)

The added cost to bump up the extra million is not much more, and if you ever needed it, you will be glad you spent the extra $250/yr.

I think I went to 3 Million last year, what if I ran over a crosswalk full of kids one sunny day. :eek:

I'm in the enough to keep the insurance company lawyers interested camp.
Just ran over this with my insurance agent in March. She thinks keeping $1M on top of the bumped homeowners and auto should keep the legal team involved.
After being home so much during this lock down and seeing all the lawyer ads on daytime tv I'm thinking I might want to quadruple the coverage though.

the general consensus is to have enough coverage to make it worthwhile for the insurance company's lawyers to defend and challenge the claim.

Just had a lengthly conversation with my agent on this subject. She did remind me that higher levels of coverage not only keep the insurance company legal team "interested," they also attract more interest from those bag-dragging attorneys whose commercials you see on bill boards and TV. They exist to extract money from folks who have it directly or through insurance.

Still, I carry a significant level of umbrella coverage.

we hire lots of folks to do work in and around the house..landscaping, house cleaning, tree trimming, etc. I've got a crew coming on Thursday to complete the work on the roof.

This is why you should only hire people that are bonded and insured.

Within reason I think you can insure up to your net worth. So if you are worth 3m, get 3m. It doesn’t cost much more than 1m anyway.

Depends on cost to insure and what you have (Boat/Teen driver?). IF the cost is not a lot extra compared to 1 or 2 Million, I would have at least 3 Million otherwise the insurance company may not defend a really bad case and just settle as their liability is the limit of your policy.

Back
Top Bottom