How to Watch TV Without Cable

For antenna, it is not complicated. There are several websites where you plug in your address and you can find out in about one minute's time what channels you can get with what type of ariel.
For the question about whether the 40+ channels are merely repeats, not for me. I get about 43 distinct channels. Some are "affiliates" with other channels--but some of these I did not get with my cable package so they are new to me. For example, I now get 5 distinct PBS channels, each with their own programming. Likewise, I get 4 ABC affiliate channels and several Fox affiliates. I also get things like: MeTV, Movies!, ThisTV, AntennaTV, Buzzr, Grit, a couple channels with "cold case" investigative programs, another old movies channel, a religious channel, several shopping channels, a couple of ION channels, etc. All in all, there's a fair number of movie channels and old TV show channels among these--right up my alley!

I must live in a oligopoly zone for cable companies. I literally live less than 10 miles from every station in town, and I pick up only two stations from a digital antenna.

If you and I have the same opinion of what city has the best Mexican food, then the transmitter towers for most of those stations near you are actually located 16 miles southeast of downtown, on the eastern side of one of the lakes used by CPS for cooling. I live 40+ miles from those towers and get a good OTA signal from an attic antenna. Granted, I live on a hill several hundred feet above most of those great Mexican restaurants, which definitely helps reception (of the signal, not the food).

The OTA channels (70+) available in the Denver area are listed here: TV Listings Grid, TV Guide and TV Schedule, Where to Watch TV Shows - Screener

If that requires my login then go to tvlistings.zap2it.com and "Change my location" to Zip Code 80239 and select "Broadcast (Antenna). Then, if you are curious, put in your own zip code and select source (includes cable/satellite feeds) for your personalized Program Guide.

All this is way too complicated. Seems like some company could figure out how to make TV watching simple, fun, and cheap again for Joe Average and let him pick the shows he wants to see. But no......... have to pay for a DVR, have to record in advance, hope you have OTA stations close by, worry about your current good deal getting more expensive. Jeez. Maybe this is what Alvin Toffler called 'overchoice'.

I don't think this is a very informed statement. If you mean "simple, fun and cheap again" you can go back to just how it was in the 60s and use your antenna to pull in what stations you want, and btw your picture will be better because it's all digital, and much of it HD. You can still probably get TV guide, or at least look online, to pick the shows you want to see. It's as simple and as cheap as you can get

If you want more function, like being able to record shows and watch later, that's exactly the function of a DVR. On most any of those if you can find a show you want to record, you can set it once to record all episodes or all new episodes. I'm not sure what you could expect some company to come in and do that would be cheaper or simpler. And you most certainly don't have to have it.

And if you don't have OTA stations nearby, or want more choices like ESPN or HBO, you have to pay for satellite, cable, or stream it online. They almost always come with a DVR option and an on-screen programming guide, so it's still simple. And actually, I can watch most any major OTA network show online for free, so if you miss when a show first airs because you don't have DVR or forgot to program it, you can still see it.

Sure, there are lots of choices, and you have to pay for most of them, but just because you want it kept simple doesn't mean others can't have choices. Just ignore the choices you don't want. Hook a rabbit ears to the back of your TV and go with it.

All this is way too complicated. Seems like some company could figure out how to make TV watching simple, fun, and cheap again for Joe Average and let him pick the shows he wants to see. But no......... have to pay for a DVR, have to record in advance, hope you have OTA stations close by, worry about your current good deal getting more expensive. Jeez. Maybe this is what Alvin Toffler called 'overchoice'.

You want simple, fun, and cheap
You have to listen to Meatloaf

You only get 2 out of 3

I know the initial Direct TV NOW reviews were pretty bad, but I assumed/hoped they'd address the issues pretty quickly. So after two months in - is anyone having better current experiences with Direct TV NOW? It would meet our needs well enough given the price so we'd like to try it, but the reviews I've found from as little as 13 days ago are still primarily unfavorable. I don't want to sign up for a free trial until they seem to have the bugs worked out.

Streaming will wholly replace cable and satellite eventually IMO, but so far they haven't been quite ready.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite: What city does have the best Mexican food? (Outside Mexico, that is.)

Ok, I'll bite: What city does have the best Mexican food? (Outside Mexico, that is.)
Chicago - Frontera Grill :) His restaurant Topolobampo would be among the best restaurants in Mexico.

I know the Tejanos here will object. :D

Last edited:
Chicago - Frontera Grill :) His restaurant Topolobampo would be among the best restaurants in Mexico.
+1. Having been to Frontera Grill and Topolobampo about 100 times over more than 20 years, I'd agree.

And I've lived in Dallas and San Antonio, some great Mexican restaurants there too - none that match Frontera Grill that I know of.

I know the Tejanos here will object. :D

No, definitely not this one. I think all Mexican food lovers should move to Chicago for easier access to their favorite Mexican restaurant. :)

Hey! I grew up in Chicago(land) and visit every so often. Next visit is next month, so I'll put it on my restaurant list!

No, definitely not this one. I think all Mexican food lovers should move to Chicago for easier access to their favorite Mexican restaurant. :)
Frees up the crowd waiting for tables nearby, eh? :)

Hey! I grew up in Chicago(land) and visit every so often. Next visit is next month, so I'll put it on my restaurant list!
Frontera doesn't take reservations. My brother and his DW go often and say the wait time is long but worth it. Topolobongo is $$$.

Try Xoco for breakfast. The chilaquiles are fantastic, as is the hot chocolate, especially the one where they add a shot of espresso. Not for people on restricted diets (or budgets), though.

Aside from any discussion on "best" restaurants, I have no doubt there are far more "really good and inexpensive" Mexican restaurants in Texas and California than in all the rest of the world combined, outside Mexico.

Frontera doesn't take reservations. My brother and his DW go often and say the wait time is long but worth it. Topolobongo is $$$.
Probably goes without saying but if you get there when they open, or after 7:30pm, the wait isn't as long. Even on a Saturday, if we get there about 20 minutes before they open (5:00pm or 5:20pm depending on day), the wait isn't that long - yes, there will be a line. But we start with a Topolo margarita, so there's no real wait in the end.

But we often go for Saturday brunch, and there's usually very little waiting. The brunch menu is sort of a mix between Mexican brunch and their lunch/dinner entrees. But the dinner menu is better if you're willing to put up with some waiting. FWIW Rick Bayless | Frontera Grill

You can get a reservation at Topolobampo, but it's $$$$. Definitely a special occasion kinda place even for a dedicated foodie.

Last edited:
I know the initial Direct TV NOW reviews were pretty bad, but I assumed/hoped they'd address the issues pretty quickly. So after two months in - is anyone having better current experiences with Direct TV NOW?

Both my DF (in Lake County FL) and DM (in Ft Lauderdale FL) have DirecTV Now and haven't had problems with it.

They each have Apple TVs and Comcast cable service with pretty high data rates.

For antenna, it is not complicated. There are several websites where you plug in your address and you can find out in about one minute's time what channels you can get with what type of ariel.

I would only get a whopping 5 channels with two of them being fire and brimstone 24/7.

Aside from any discussion on "best" restaurants, I have no doubt there are far more "really good and inexpensive" Mexican restaurants in Texas and California than in all the rest of the world combined, outside Mexico.

I know there are literally thousands in TX, and some of the best are mom & pop or at least family run. But what we call Mexican restaurants are actually Tex-Mex, which I will openly admit I am addicted to. I need a weekly fix or my disposition suffers.

Yes, just as the best Mexican restaurant in Mexico is subjective.

Please stay focused. You're changing the terms of our discussion, and how are we going to determine how to watch TV without cable if you keep doing that? :LOL:

In general we have wonderful food in New Orleans, but I don't think the Mexican food here is very good compared with what I have had elsewhere.

As for cable TV:
(1) make your own wire indoor antenna and try it out. It's not THAT hard.
(2) If it doesn't work, try one of those pricey indoor antennas you can buy.
(3) If either 1 or 2 works and you get the major networks, then unplug cable box, take it to cable company, and tell them to pound sand. Problem solved.
(4) Decide if what you have with your antenna is enough. It just might be. And isn't that the whole point, to get TV reception for FREE? OK, OK, if you really think you just have to have more, start buying stuff like everyone here will recommend, sign up to pay tons of money monthly for services, or just subscribe to Netflix or something.

Last edited:
You know what would be a really cool app (or website) for people interested in cutting the cable? Something that would ask you to enter your favorite channels and/or shows and rank them in the order of how critical they are to your TV watching habits. It could also ask things like what your favorite sports and teams are, what your ZIP code is, and how much you're willing to spend per month. And then, after getting all that info, it would spit out the best combination of satellite / cable / streaming services and packages that would be the best fit for your life.

I wonder if there's anything like that out there now. Anyone ever come across something like a "cord cutter optimizer" app? If not, seems like it could be an interesting little "hobby" project for a retired software developer. Hmmmm.... :)

Interestingly I put a tv in my office at home and hooked up some wires, added more wire, some aluminum foil and got all of the local channels. Great! So I bought one of those fancy dancy paper thin hang on the wall antennas. Hung it on the wall and guess what? Had better reception with those ugly wires and foil my wife made me throw away.

Back
Top Bottom