How Young do you start them?

BUM,
Outside of my control. But FWIW,
Kid got his bike days ago. While he was busy 'managing' his parent to the bike of his choice, his sibling auctioned off the old bike at a 50% commission. Poor kid didn't have a clue that he was taken for a ride until it was too late. Understanding the fine prints and ethical behavior (especially toward your siblings) are upcoming lessons. So...

The thread is dead, stop poking at it.

The kid may come across this some day and he will conclude that his parent is 'very lame' for posting with a bunch of 'very lamers' and he won't need abstract reasoning for that bit of wisdom. :)

. . . The kid may come across this some day and he will conclude that his parent is 'very lame' for posting with a bunch of 'very lamers' and he won't reasoning for that bit of wisdom. :)

I would be insulted if I weren't so distracted thinking about what to do with my marshmallow and wondering what Shirley has under that dress. :D

Her name was Janice, she ate the marshmellow, her dad caught her before she could lift her dress, besides that I was in love with my bike and looking forward to a BB gun for my 11Th birthday. And remember - we can go back and edit our old posts. Can't remember if I saved any marshmellows - but sure did like them.

unclemick, it sounds like you went right from your
3rd cup of coffee to cocktail hour. I may follow your example but I have to take my nap first.

John Galt

Vale,
Buy the kid the bike. Several years ago (like 10) Money mag did an article about a couple who wanted to retire early who had children. So they literally deprived the kids of some of the nicer things growing up. They bought clothes from the thrift store, no afterschool activities, no friends over because of the added expense, no savings for college etc. The response to their parenting methods and frugality program ranged from," Be sure you have your own cardboard box 'cause your kids sure ain't gonna bury you" to several readers asking for their address so they could report the parents to the authorities fo child abuse.
When children see their parents do all they can to provide for an early retirement even to the point of familial deprivation , I ask why did you have the children to begin with?
If parents have great wealth then watch their adult childres struggle all the while telling them how it develops character (assuming the adult kids aren't demostrating totally irresposnible behavior), all that does is insure that when the parents are 75 and 80, the kids will feel no moral responsibility toward the parents. People with real money learn to use it to nurture succeeding generations.
There is no inherent honor in making your kids experience being poor so you can have wealth when you don't have to spend it on the kids.
There's also no great honor in doing it all on your own by putting yourself through college, buying all of your own cars, clothes, etc. that just means those parents were selfish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom