Hubby's Potential Layoff

Calgary_Girl

Full time employment: Posting here.
Uh oh. Hubby found out this week that his company is being bought by another company. This could mean layoffs or worse....a complete shut down of his entire office of approximately 50 people.

I'm not too worried since we could probably make it about 5 years or so just living on my salary and periodically dipping into savings to pay the bills. The thing that upsets me the most is the effect that it could have on our plans for early retirement :( I know I'm probably worrying over nothing since it could be an entire year before the dust clears but I've always been the type to worry.

Thanks for letting me vent!

I guess that might deep-six the family scenario for awhile Calgary. :'( From what I've read, however, you are slipping past your prime years.

Keep working on the net worth. Set your priorities. Contibute the max to RRSP's and CPP.

Calgary girl, sorry to hear about hubby's situation. But on the bright side, the Alberta economy is booming. Lot's of other opportunities around. Good time to think about what he really wants to do next and talk to people in the business. Hubby and I both survived and thrived after layoffs. Looking back it was a blessing in disguise. JoJo

Sorry to hear of your DH's situation, too.  Perhaps it won't be as bad as you fear ... or at least your DH will get a good severance package, followed by a better job...

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Thank goodness the economy is great so it would be possible for my husband to find another job. Maybe not at the same salary level but I guess we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Hi Calgary girl,

It's only temperary setback. He should be able to find something better. I am not aware that the economy is doing that well lately.

Spanky

Hi Spanky.

We live in Calgary, Alberta (Canada) and the economy up here is on a roll. Our local unemployment rate is only 3% .... the lowest in the country.

DH is having a mini mid-life crisis and wants to buy a dirt bike. How do I talk him out of it?? He's already promised me jewelry (sp?) if I let him. ::)

Tell him to go for it as long as he ups his life insurance. :LOL:

Calgary_Girl said:
DH is having a mini mid-life crisis and wants to buy a dirt bike. How do I talk him out of it?? He's already promised me jewelry (sp?) if I let him. ::)

In addition to life insurance, make sure he's completed an organ donor card. He could do something really nice for others if he's unlucky riding his "Donorcycle". :(

REW

REWanabe said:
In addition to life insurance, make sure he's completed an organ donor card.  He could do something really nice for others if he's unlucky riding his "Donorcycle". :(

REW

That's covered too! DH is crazy but practical also :crazy:

I used to work with a really nice guy when I was a teenager and was just starting out working. Had a nice wife. Wished he could have kids but he went over the handebars on his dirt bike and left his testicles behind hanging from some part of the handlebars.

If that story doesnt work, show him the current silliness around Kellen Winslow.

Get him to get out there and sling some dirt with the bike while he can. Medical science can repair many boo boo's.

Male hormones and the stock market - well that's another story.

My oldest Nephew(hobby mountain climber) militatary pilot -
will never 'live down' his upchucking 'doing ' Mt Kiliminjaro while his no phys ed wifey did just fine in the high alditude. Late twenties.

Let him get it out of his system and cross your fingers.

Maybe the best thing that ever happened to us...

DW quit work in 2002. I worked parttime, thought I could get our health insurance and could use a little extra $.

Then I got laid off late in 2003. Freaked out, but thought, if not now, when?

We've been happily ER'd since then. It's doable. In the past, we were torn by things that we thought we couldn't handle but really can, like health insurance.

Sparky

Hi everyone.

Just a quick update that DH hasn't mentioned the dirt bike in the past couple of weeks so hopefully we're over that phase ;)

As for the potential layoff there's no news yet on that front. Apparently, it could be up to a year before the new parent company decides what to do with DH's company. For the time being I guess we'll just be socking away money (similar to what we're doing now anyway) with the odd vacation thrown in to recharge the batteries.

Calgary_Girl said:
Hi everyone. 

Just a quick update that DH hasn't mentioned the dirt bike in the past couple of weeks so hopefully we're over that phase  ;) 

As for the potential layoff there's no news yet on that front.  Apparently, it could be up to a year before the new parent company decides what to do with DH's company.  For the time being I guess we'll just be socking away money (similar to what we're doing now anyway) with the odd vacation thrown in to recharge the batteries.

The dirt bike thing will reappear. Trust me. I didn't buy my first
motorcycle until I was 47. Always wanted one and just never
got around to it (kind of a metaphor for a lot of ER wannabes).
Anyway, it really gets in your blood. I had to give it up. Miss it
like crazy.

JG

Cycles and garage sales are prominent on the board today. Reminds me, I had a garage sale last weekend. This guy comes limping up and asks me if I have any HD collectibles. I said no. He just had to tell about his glory days on his bike. Ended in the 80's with a shattered leg.

My bike days ended in the 70's when I realized that I was speeding down the interstate, no money in my pockets and several patches on the front inner tube. What am I nuts? Traded my bike for a van with a stove and a bed in it. Drive-ins were never the same. :D

DH is having a mini mid-life crisis and wants to buy a dirt bike.  How do I talk him out of it??  He's already promised me jewelry (sp?) if I let him. 

Last time we had a convention in Las Vegas I shared a room with a woman whose husband had just become a quadriplegic as a result of a dirt bike accident.

Bad enough what happened to him, but at least he had a choice and enjoyed a few thrills before his final spill.  She, the one without the choice, lost a tremendous amount as well.  She started as a happy wife with an active sex life, a three-year old son who loved to play horsie with daddy in the evening and a two-income household to pay their big mortgage.  In one horrible moment she became a single-income, permanently celibate, more or less "single" mother with a 24x7 nursing job on the side.  She said the hardest part was explaining to the child why daddy didn't "want" to play anymore.

I get that your hubby wants to have some fun and that we all have to take some risks in life (mine involve fast rivers and white water), but his decision affects more than just his own life.  How much jewelery would make it worth your while if the worst happens?

Sorry if the story's too sad, but it really sticks in my memory, and since you asked...

Best of luck to both of you,
Caroline

Caroline said:
Last time we had a convention in Las Vegas I shared a room with a woman whose husband had just become a quadriplegic as a result of a dirt bike accident.

Bad enough what happened to him, but at least he had a choice and enjoyed a few thrills before his final spill.  She, the one without the choice, lost a tremendous amount as well.  She started as a happy wife with an active sex life, a three-year old son who loved to play horsie with daddy in the evening and a two-income household to pay their big mortgage.  In one horrible moment she became a single-income, permanently celibate, more or less "single" mother with a 24x7 nursing job on the side.  She said the hardest part was explaining to the child why daddy didn't "want" to play anymore.

What a sad story :(

I don't think DH will go for the motorcycle. He's been pretty happy lately restoring his old muscle car...it should be enough for him to get his testosterone kicks :D

Well, as far as the layoff goes, it really could be a great time for both of you if you're in the right frame of mind and can weather it financially, which it sounds like won't be an issue. Hell, you may have a great time if it happens !
As for the motorcycle, my screen name will tell people who know Harleys that I love bikes and have ridden a motorcycle/dirt bike of one form or another since I was 7 years old. I also know people who have been hurt on them, as well as in cars, walking, mountain biking, skiing, etc, etc. I say if he wants to, absolutely support him and let him go for it, just be sure he takes enough precautions (ie, good helmet, chest protector, gloves, boots, etc) that will make you both reasonably comfortable. My father got his first motorcycle when I was a little kid, and he was about 47 years old, it was an old Greeves 250. He didn't know how to ride very well and cracked it up a couple of times, but never really got hurt. He traded it for my first dirt bike.
As for the bad stories about what can happen no matter what you do, here's a few for thought.

1) I have a friend who flew somebody else's ultralight that had a bad cable for one of the steering controls, crashed into a tree, he is now a parapalegic
2) I know another guy who was waiting at a toll booth with his wife and infant daughter, all with seat belts on and kid in child seat. Hit from behind by a tractor trailer. Daughter was killed, the guy has permanent brain damage.
3) Another guy was run over on his motorcycle by an elderly woman and killed.

So, to end with a quote from a great movie, "Heat", "You get killed walkin' your doggie !!!!"
....So true...!!!

-Pan-

PS: John Galt, you sold your bike ? Sorry to hear that.....

Back
Top Bottom