Hurricanes/wind/and round homes

"Concrete Monthly?" Don't think I've ever read that. Not enuf, sex and violence. :LOL: Readers Digest is racy enough.

But, it is amazing, the amount of information available, for someone with the inclination to seek it out.

katfish said:
bbuzzard

According to a N.C. modular builder (Deltec). There homes can withstand greater
force since they have no single flat section wider than eight feet. " this minimizes
large areas where wind can build and create pressure, which would collapse a
conventional square or rectangular home. The circular design insures any force exerted against one side of the structure is distributed out the opposing side."
So, (if true) it may be possible to build a conventional home that could hold up
as well but would it be cost affective? They also claim to have a one of a kind
roof system with optimal pitch to equalize any downward pressure or uplift.
What do you think?

I assume you mean a mnodular dome? Domes are very efficient structures under uniform loads. They do not do as well with unbalanced loading. However, while I am uncertain of the overall efficiency, I strongly suspect a dome home is more efficicent than a normally framed house under wind loads.

The concept that "The circular design insures any force exerted against one side of the structure is distributed out the opposing side" is bs (otherwise known as marketing speak. If this was true you could make the dome structure out of tissue paper, right?

The size of the panels does not matter. In a stick built house, the hosuje is built of small modules call 2x4s, and the buildings still fall apart.

Back
Top Bottom