I did it! Today is my first day of retirement...

rmcelwee

Recycles dryer sheets
Quick recap for those who don't know my story...

- I started when I was 22 and w*rked at MegaCorp for 33 years.

- A coworker gave a full year notice (I told him that was dumb) but they bent over backwards to make it as painless as possible for him.

- After seeing his success I gave them my six months notice and they did everything in their power to make it as hard for me as possible. Both of us had the same supervisor job and had been there the same amount of time. He was 65 and I am 55.

- On Jan 11th I walked out the door without saying anything to them. I ended up taking two months of accrued vacation so I wouldn't have to step foot in that place except four hours on my required last day. I snuck in after hours last night so I wouldn't have to see anyone.

So, now my wife and I can start our new life. I have been counting down the days for a very long time and can't believe it is finally here. I just turned 55 three days ago. I will have a very small pension and will receive $1,000 a month in healthcare reimbursement until 65. We set ourselves up pretty well financially but will probably lean FIRE. We currently live in Charleston, SC but purchased 31 acres of property in the mountains and will build a stupidly large ICF house in the next few years. Chickens, ducks, goats, rabbits, etc will be raised on the ranch. A few people have asked about it so I will probably start a thread about our ranch and what we are doing there.

Attachments

• 190908850_205118104769972_4933999967546675265_n.jpg
    190908850_205118104769972_4933999967546675265_n.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 134
I wish you the best and enjoy each day.

So happy for you and looking forward to ranch updates. Quic question what does ICF stand for? Love the meme, and seriously how lame of Megacorp and how they reacted. I fully believe it was bx of you relative youth and bucking the societal expectations /norms.

Congratulations [emoji122] [emoji322] [emoji3060]
It’s a great feeling.
I had no adjustment period at all.
Apparently I really like deciding what I actually want to do each day.

Congratulations! So sorry about the way you were treated; perhaps it will make retirement even sweeter! Enjoy waking up tomorrow morning with a huge smile on your face.

Congrats. I gave a lot of notice and have been well taken care of. I have been on part time for a month. been just working Mondays the last two weeks and next Monday is my last. Hard to believe today I slept in until 7 on a Wednesday and then did whatever I felt like doing

Congrats on your retirement. I am right behind you

So happy for you and looking forward to ranch updates. Quic question what does ICF stand for? Love the meme, and seriously how lame of Megacorp and how they reacted. I fully believe it was bx of you relative youth and bucking the societal expectations /norms.

+1

Congratulations! Enjoy the next phase of the rest of your life.

Great meme too.

Congrats. Once again, confirmation that a long notification bites you in the behind.

Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to your posts about your new life and your ranch.

Congratulations! I hope retirement proves to be a rich reward for the irritations of your last year of work.

congrats!
I did not know you were going ICF, I will be watching closely. I am thinking ICF basement for ourselves.

Congrats. In a few weeks I will mark my 7th year of freedom. The feelings of that first day are still etched into my mind: my wife and I got up late and had take-out coffee in our local park--it was a beautiful day. We wandered around our town stopping in stores and marveled that we were doing so "on a weekday" just as we had dreamed. Simple but unforgettable joy, with much more to come.

Cheers to you! Looking forward to the commentary on the new build project.

-BB

Congrats. In a few weeks I will mark my 7th year of freedom. The feelings of that first day are still etched into my mind: my wife and I got up late and had take-out coffee in our local park--it was a beautiful day. We wandered around our town stopping in stores and marveled that we were doing so "on a weekday" just as we had dreamed. Simple but unforgettable joy, with much more to come.

Cheers to you! Looking forward to the commentary on the new build project.

-BB

In our third year of retirement. We did the exact same thing as you yesterday, except it was a take out lunch (bagels!) instead of coffee. We must have remarked to each other a dozen times how marvelous is was to be "out and about" on a weekday, happily - and leisurely - just strolling around. It's definitely the simple things such as a day like this that produce the most joy in our retirement.

Back
Top Bottom