I prefer slacker to retiree

dougdo

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm 39, quit my corporate job a few years ago and hope to keep it that way.  Now I write, publish a website Travelblogs.com of travel writing and photos, volunteer, travel, and live cheaply but well.

Not so much an ERer as looking for creative ways to keep my freedom and do something more meaningful with my life. This forum looks like a great place to look for and exchange ideas!

It looks like you have been traveling to many exiting places.

Spanky

Spanky said:
It looks like you have been traveling to many exiting places.

Spanky

"Exiting places"? Does that mean everyone is leaving, or that you leave as soon as you arrive? Either way, seems like an odd travel plan. :)

JG

dougdo,
I'll check out your site. At first glance it appears that you have passed the "A. do I have enough to retire" and "B. having the courage to retire" phases. I've only passed phase "A". I'm currently reading "How to retire retire, happy, wild and free." - it is helping.

At 39, I don't know if I would call what you are doing as early retirement. Is it more like getting an advanced degree in life?

Or an Asian Carp farmer...TH says that is a pretty good business to be in these days.

Well heck, all you need is a boat and a desire to drive it around certain waterways at a high speed. Oh yeah, ducking and grabbing skills are also a must.

Crap, its starting to sound like work. :p

This sounds like a noisy preschool group... :D

Welcome, travel is the way I want to spend ER. Can't wait to look at the site.

Judy

dex said:
dougdo,
I'll check out your site.  At first glance it appears that you have passed the "A. do I have enough to retire" and "B. having the courage to retire" phases. I've only passed phase "A".  I'm currently reading "How to retire retire, happy, wild and free."  -  it is helping.

At 39, I don't know if I would call what you are doing as early retirement.  Is it more like getting an advanced degree in life? 

Actually I think I skipped stage A and just went to B with a leap of faith. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass! But my priorities are to lead and interesting and meaningful life and if that means my spending power is rather limited, so be it.

I just want to say to everyone that already I feel really welcome on this board!  So many internet forums are just so full of incredibly rude and unfriendly people. I don't mind cranky, that's me too, but some places they don't seem to realize there's a human being behind the posts. Thank you all!!!

More power to you dougdo -- "interesting and meaningful life" is all to which any of us should aspire.

D,

I'm envious of you. Not many people would be willing to chuck their lives in order to do something they want to do. Good luck.

BUM said:
You could be a monk.

That can turn out real nice....

My aunt is a little over the top with her religious beliefs. Anway, as part of her religious lifestyle, aunt goes on a retreat in a monastry and meets a monk-in-training. Sparks were flying back and forward in the monastry and the monk-in-training quit (or maybe fired??). He moved in with her.....oops, before getting married..... There was a huge crucifix between the two twin beds to deter them from committing sins until they were married.

Back
Top Bottom