I rented an RV-first time!

IMG_0867.jpg

Starting our second day in our rental RV, a Mercedes sprinter coachman prism elite. View of our”front lawn”, lake pleasant, just north of Phoenix

^^^ Your timing is just right. The weather is near perfect now. Later in the week, it may get close to 100F.

IMG_0868.jpg
Starting our second day, DW and I slept very well. Campground was quite. Rained overnight and windy, so glad we weren’t in a tent.

The small class c RV is the perfect size for two for several days in good weather. Might be tight if stuck inside for days due to bad weather, but we’re retired so we plan to avoid glamping under uncomfortable conditions.

Glad our rig is only 8 ft wide, 2 feet narrower than a a standard class c. Much easier and safer on tight state park back in campsites. Do wish we had more exterior storage for outdoor crap related to bikes, kayaks, etc. like in full size class c rigs, but that’s the tradeoff.

Decided not to break camp this am. We’ll just eat out of the fridge and chill. Don’t want to risk another tough back in; don’t tempt fate! Remaining campsites are thankfully large pull throughs! Glad I’m not having to maneuver a travel trailer

View attachment 38748

Starting our second day in our rental RV, a Mercedes sprinter coachman prism elite. View of our”front lawn”, lake pleasant, just north of Phoenix

Oh wow, this is the exact model we’re looking at buying, when prices come back to reality. What year?

I’ll be curious to follow your travels. :)

Oh wow, this is the exact model we’re looking at buying, when prices come back to reality. What year?

I’ll be curious to follow your travels. :)

It’s a 2018, 24J, corner full bed. Even after a single night we know we want a queen walk around bed, normally on a slide on these little rigs.

If we are still RVing in a year or two, we’d like to buy our own rig and set it up exactly for our needs and maintain it according to our standards.

Seems like conventional wisdom that prices will drop in a few years. Folks seem to say the same for brick and sticks houses. I Don’t know.

If the market keep delivering we’ll probably just Blow Dough. Getting to the point I’m more afraid of running out of healthy lifespan than running out of dough.

We’re concluding our 2nd day RVing by watching the sunset over Lake Pleasant, just north of Phoenix.

Kitchen sink has been running slow and finally clogged today. Fortunately, I brought a plunger along and was able to free it.

Our grey tank overflowed, backing up the shower drain, despite showing half full on panel. Here these level readouts are often wrong.

Fortunately, I noticed a small leak outside the coach while DW simultaneously complained of the shower backup. Kept us from flooding the interior. Black tank looks ok; checked with flashlight aimed down toilet.

First black and grey water dump tomorrow!

Glad our rig is only 8 ft wide, 2 feet narrower than a a standard class c. Much easier and safer on tight state park back in campsites. Do wish we had more exterior storage for outdoor crap related to bikes, kayaks, etc. like in full size class c rigs, but that’s the tradeoff...

My class C is 99" wide. The legal width limit for all vehicles including class A RVs is 8.5' or 101".

Your Winnebago 24J is 90" wide.

We’re concluding our 2nd day RVing by watching the sunset over Lake Pleasant, just north of Phoenix.

Kitchen sink has been running slow and finally clogged today. Fortunately, I brought a plunger along and was able to free it.

Our grey tank overflowed, backing up the shower drain, despite showing half full on panel. Here these level readouts are often wrong.

First black and grey water dump tomorrow!

Seasoned RV'ers can take a shower with only a few gallons of water. We do it with 4-5 gal, but some can do with less. When the gray tank is only 40 gal, you learn to be efficient in showering and washing dishes. We only splurge when parked in campgrounds with full hook-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a 2018, 24J, corner full bed. Even after a single night we know we want a queen walk around bed, normally on a slide on these little rigs.

If we are still RVing in a year or two, we’d like to buy our own rig and set it up exactly for our needs and maintain it according to our standards.

Seems like conventional wisdom that prices will drop in a few years. Folks seem to say the same for brick and sticks houses. I Don’t know.

If the market keep delivering we’ll probably just Blow Dough. Getting to the point I’m more afraid of running out of healthy lifespan than running out of dough.

Ah, interesting! We looked at some models with the corner beds and thought they wouldn’t be too bad, but the newer model of the prism has a full slide with a walk around bed. We have young kids so we liked the over cab bunk.

The one concern I have is the lack of cargo capacity weight by the time you add propane, water, etc... That and DH’s interest in going more than once! :D

Do you plan to boondock at all or all glamping?

Beginning of our third day in our rental RV, very early, 3 am. Went to bed early, so now up in the middle of the night.

Surprised by a full moon over our big desert lake. A shooting star too, briefly tracing a faint red arch behind thin clouds. Heard a great horn owl pair hooting duets during a brief break from the incessant shoreside wind. Altogether a magical evening, seen through the tall windshield of the Sprinter’s cab.

All is going well, really well. Next time though, I need to find a walk around queen bed for my Queen, DW.

Ah, interesting! We looked at some models with the corner beds and thought they wouldn’t be too bad, but the newer model of the prism has a full slide with a walk around bed. We have young kids so we liked the over cab bunk.

The one concern I have is the lack of cargo capacity weight by the time you add propane, water, etc... That and DH’s interest in going more than once! :D

Do you plan to boondock at all or all glamping?

Maybe you guys are much younger than us since you mentioned young kids! Corner bed is a no go for the boss, aka DW. We’ve been plagued by health issues that can suddenly limit mobility, so a walk around queen bed is a must-have. No over can bunk either.

Your are right regarding the limited cargo capacity. The sticker on this unit calls 971 pounds, not including fluids. If you take out driver and passenger weight, this isn’t very much. I think it’s only a hundred pounds better than my Honda CR-V , when isn’t exactly a cargo hauling machine. Cargo volume, especially exterior, is also stingy compared to a standard class c (say a cruise America 25 foot rental). Still, I suspect you’d be weight limited.

Watch out for the prism over can bunk. The aero roof cap is steeply pitched, leaving little headroom, especially for the inside sleeper. Looks tight to me, especially compared to a traditional Clara c with the bulbous front roof cap.

Next trip, we’re getting a traditional C with a queen walk around slide, probably Ford E450 gasser, aka, gas guzzler. To be fair though, it takes a lot more fuel to push a lot more stuff up hill at decent speeds. Still like the shorter lengths, say under 25 ft.

Oh, watch the ground clearance at the prism’s generator and electric step. [emoji50]

As for boondocking, I’d love to do that, but doubt DW is enthusiastic. Honestly, this RV thing is mainly my attempt to regain some sense of freedom for both of us as we inexorably approach the slow go years. we have both been on the go and higher energy all our lives until a seemly never ending runoff injuries starting over a decade ago.

Now I’ll take what I can get, even if it means blowing dough. Time is running out faster than money. No regrets dropping coin to see red rock Arizona from an RV!

Have you rented any unit? If you want to exchange more detailed impressions, feel free to PM.

DW and I discuss this. Haven't tried it yet.

A few years ago we rented a 25 foot Airstream from an outfit in Columbus, Ohio. We already had an F-150 so tow vehicle was not an issue. We had a great time. Both my wife and I were surprised how much we enjoyed it. It was our first time camping or hauling a trailer but we went over 1000 miles with it in a week.

Given the demand, delivery date is about 1 year out for an Airstream. May wait and order next year. We both like the 25 foot Globetrotter. Surprisingly, it is my wife pushing for the trailer.

Most units for rent are unfortunately low end units.
Don't trust the tank gauges they're frequently wrong as you found out. If you're hooked up to a sewer at your site you can leave the gray tank open but leave the black tank closed and dump that as needed. Navy shower.

A few years ago we rented a 25 foot Airstream from an outfit in Columbus, Ohio. We already had an F-150 so tow vehicle was not an issue. We had a great time. Both my wife and I were surprised how much we enjoyed it. It was our first time camping or hauling a trailer but we went over 1000 miles with it in a week.

Given the demand, delivery date is about 1 year out for an Airstream. May wait and order next year. We both like the 25 foot Globetrotter. Surprisingly, it is my wife pushing for the trailer.

Those are beautiful rigs, both inside and out. Trailering makes sense since you have a tow vehicle.

We like the motor home because we have the hosiery wherever we go, especially the bathroom. A huge comfort and convenience.

Realistically, this limits us to around 25 feet since we don’t want the complications of a tow and still want to go into town and smaller parks/campsites.

A smaller motor home might be Ok since I doubt we’ll be out for months at a time. We’re thinking a week or two at the most for a trip, and in decent weather too. Hope to spend most of the time either driving or outside, so a smaller rig may be ok

Some day a motor home will make sense for us, but for now we are comfortable in our setup. King mattress, open concept bathroom and bedroom in the front, 13' super slide in the back with loveseat recliner and ekornes chair /ottoman in the back. I hammered out all the built-ins and walls and made it ours.
IMG-20151203-082619754-HDR.jpg

I think the truck will be replaced with an auto transmission in the next few years. DW says she is OK with the manual but I can read between the lines.

My class C is 99" wide. The legal width limit for all vehicles including class A RVs is 8.5' or 101".

Your Winnebago 24J is 90" wide.

Seasoned RV'ers can take a shower with only a few gallons of water. We do it with 4-5 gal, but some can do with less. When the gray tank is only 40 gal, you learn to be efficient in showering and washing dishes. We only splurge when parked in campgrounds with full hook-up.
Thanks, you are right, the house on my rental prism tapes at 90"' plus 8" per mirror for 106" wide or just shy of 9 feet,. Add another 9 inches for a standard class c and it looks around 9,5 feet; cruise america rounds up in their intro videos as a warning to first timers like me!

Good news is that I can handle another 9 inches, opening up my RV choices greatly

Some day a motor home will make sense for us, but for now we are comfortable in our setup. King mattress, open concept bathroom and bedroom in the front, 13' super slide in the back with loveseat recliner and ekornes chair /ottoman in the back. I hammered out all the built-ins and walls and made it ours.
IMG-20151203-082619754-HDR.jpg

I think the truck will be replaced with an auto transmission in the next few years. DW says she is OK with the manual but I can read between the lines.
Very nice, great to have your rig exactly as you want. So what do you do with all that space? Are your trip as long?

I may have missed it FreeBear, but what kind of mileage are you getting on your trip?

DW & I used to own a ClassB (van-size) MH back in the 90's and consistently got 10-11mpg on the highway (Chevy chassis, old 305 V-8, 60-65mph). Only used it for 2-3 day trips around the Midwest....never made it out to AZ.

@Freebear,
We have been from Washington to central California a couple of times, to Idaho and Montana a few times, but the bulk of our travel is here in Washington. Lots of 3~4 day weekends to the mountains and the beach. We travel with a couple of dogs.
The truck/trailer combo gets 12 MPG around the mountains and 13 on the freeway runs. When we unhook the bare truck gets 20 or better.

I may have missed it FreeBear, but what kind of mileage are you getting on your trip?

DW & I used to own a ClassB (van-size) MH back in the 90's and consistently got 10-11mpg on the highway (Chevy chassis, old 305 V-8, 60-65mph). Only used it for 2-3 day trips around the Midwest....never made it out to AZ.

I’m guesstimating mid to high teens, mainly highway 60-65 mph, Benz Spinter 6 cyl diesel. No bad give some decent hills (up to 6 percent) and strong winds. I think the diesel makes a big difference.

Love driving the sprinter chassis. Plenty of power. Great driving position and seats. Also wonderful windshield view, especially with the small B+ aero cap on the overhead bunk.

@Freebear,
We have been from Washington to central California a couple of times, to Idaho and Montana a few times, but the bulk of our travel is here in Washington. Lots of 3~4 day weekends to the mountains and the beach. We travel with a couple of dogs.
The truck/trailer combo gets 12 MPG around the mountains and 13 on the freeway runs. When we unhook the bare truck gets 20 or better.

Our “use case” is based on 1-3 week trips with lots of driving, hence the interest in smaller class c rigs that drive well. Basically this is like our car and hotel trips over the past decade except without the nasty rest stops and worse, rest rooms.

We are fair weather campers, so we don’t need much indoor space. With pets, I can see the desire for more room. I wouldn’t want another body except for DW in a 25 foot motor home, 2 or 4 legs. To many bodies in too little space when you need to do something.

Is your rig a Cummins diesel or gasser? Seems pretty decent mileage for fiver, especially if gas.

Oh, we have arrived home in one piece, both us and rental rig. We had a wonderful time, including DW. I survive toilet dump duties twice, without incident.

We are now slowly shopping for our own rig! Looking forward to RV shows, haven’t been for decades since I used to go with the old man. Oh, dad drove a class Arig long before I came into the picture. Memories...

cool and congrats on the new plan.
My rig is diesel. Gassers do not get that kind of mileage or performance.

We recently downsized from a diesel pusher to a very nice Sprinter based Winnebago View. I love it for how it drives, and I think it will be great for “camping” which is one reason we downsized. We are out in it right now, as I type, having driven nearly 1100 miles from the Phoenix area to Mountain Home Idaho. The drive was great. We brought our two dogs, not huge but not small. Aaaaaand drumrollllll...we are a bit underwhelmed. It is a tight squeeze for the two of us and two pups. The bathroom is tiny. The kitchen is, well, tiny. The sofa is tiny. We got the twin bed version that converts to a super king. That part is ok, actually, but with the pups following me around while i prep dinner, DW feels helpless and that there is no place to go to have some space and not be underfoot. Personally, I could make it work. Just me, and maybe one dog. So, we’re looking to upsize again. When we do that will depend on whether of not I can find a place to keep it, and the right model becoming available. This one we may keep and run it as a business on outdoorsy, then just use it ourselves when it isn’t busy.

The 7.4L engine in my class C gives anywhere from 8mpg to 11mpg, depending on head or tail wind. It seems to make little difference whether I pull a toad behind it or not. This kind of makes sense, as the aero drag caused by the toad is minimal as it fits inside the slipstream of the motorhome.

The frontal area of a class C is 10' x 8', and it looks as aerodynamic as pushing 2 4'x8' sheets of plywood down the freeway. For that reason, I travel at or below the speed limit.

I have been thinking about downsizing to a class B for better mobility, but will want a larger one such as the Airstream Interstate. Boy, they are pricey. Going from a gas-engine class C to a class B with a diesel engine would not be for saving money with the lower fuel consumption, as that is nothing compared to the sunken cost.

Another thing I may miss is the toad. We are no campers, and on our travel often use the toad to explore the towns nearby or to go into the cities to look around, while keeping the motorhome parked at a home base. Even in national parks like Yellowstone, imagine having to drive a motorhome instead of a car all around to visit all the sites.

The larger Bs on dually wheels can tow a car, so that will be my choice so that I still have the option of having a toad.

Back
Top Bottom