I rented an RV-first time!

That's why we are OK with the truck trailer combo, so far. The hassle of having to go back to the trailer to use the bathroom is offset by having the truck for solo travels.
I did qualify that with a "so far", as the convenience of a MH is obvious.
Our truck is a short bed SRW 3500, so it is not hard to park or drive. The upright seating position is more comfortable for us than any car. Phat Butt duallys are a non-starter with DW. :)

That's why we are OK with the truck trailer combo, so far. The hassle of having to go back to the trailer to use the bathroom is offset by having the truck for solo travels.
I did qualify that with a "so far", as the convenience of a MH is obvious.

After owning a 40 ft motorhome for four years we downsized to a truck trailer combo in 2011. The convenience factor of the diesel pusher was nice but I never felt comfortable driving that huge bus, especially knowing I could not back up without disconnecting the vehicle we had in tow. We've owned two trailers since selling the MH and the combo works well for us.

Attachments

• Rig.jpg
    Rig.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 46
Sounds like a class C for walk around bed, pets, and TOAD is the ideal option for retired folks. Would like to have one when market softens. We live on east coast, so driving to the more desirable PNW is a long haul.

Almost went in on partnership of a Tiffen Phaeton, sure beats leaving it parked when not in use. Unfortunately, DW had heart issues that ended those plans.

All better now, except for wheelchair, and we will be good to go!

Thanks for posting Freebear. :)

We recently downsized from a diesel pusher to a very nice Sprinter based Winnebago View. I love it for how it drives, and I think it will be great for “camping” which is one reason we downsized. We are out in it right now, as I type, having driven nearly 1100 miles from the Phoenix area to Mountain Home Idaho. The drive was great. We brought our two dogs, not huge but not small. Aaaaaand drumrollllll...we are a bit underwhelmed. It is a tight squeeze for the two of us and two pups. The bathroom is tiny. The kitchen is, well, tiny. The sofa is tiny. We got the twin bed version that converts to a super king. That part is ok, actually, but with the pups following me around while i prep dinner, DW feels helpless and that there is no place to go to have some space and not be underfoot. Personally, I could make it work. Just me, and maybe one dog. So, we’re looking to upsize again. When we do that will depend on whether of not I can find a place to keep it, and the right model becoming available. This one we may keep and run it as a business on outdoorsy, then just use it ourselves when it isn’t busy.

Great feedback Rambler! We're seriously looking at Views and Prisms, smaller Sprinter based class C's. Have you seen the 24D version with murphy bed and full single slide?

We need a walk around queen for DW, but putting up the murphy bed during the day might really open up the main living space. Going with the twin recliners instead of the traditional dinette booth would help too.

In you current version, it looks like the midships bathroom really narrows the hallway and makes in hard to open the fridge and get around part of the kitchen. The murphy bed version also has the longest countertop, a big advantage with 2 people in the kitchen.

Honestly, in our rented prism, we tried to stay as far apart as possible! We even watched the same TV shows, but on the 2 separate TV's! We rigged a sheet "curtain" just behind the cab and I would hang out there enjoying the moon rise over the mountains while DW watched TV in the rear bed.

During the day, I go all the outdoor setup/takedown, while DW does the same inside. We're fair weather campers at this stage, so we try to spend as much time as possible outside in our zero gravity recliner knockoffs.

After owning a 40 ft motorhome for four years we downsized to a truck trailer combo in 2011. The convenience factor of the diesel pusher was nice but I never felt comfortable driving that huge bus, especially knowing I could not back up without disconnecting the vehicle we had in tow. We've owned two trailers since selling the MH and the combo works well for us.

Nice combo.

I been dreaming about RVing since 1979, and I'm finally doing something about it. Arizona, my new adopted state, has amazing scenary. One reason be moved here from Frozen Flyover is to be within a day's drive of some of the most beautiful areas in the country.

We're heading to the Sedona area for a 4 night trip, covering around 600 miles. We're renting a late model Mercedes Sprinter class-C RV from a private party off of the Outdoorsy website, basically AirBnB/VRBO for RV's. 'Aint cheap, over $350/night all in (rental, insurance, mileage fees, campground fees, gas, taxes, the kitchen sink...), plus food.

We planned this only 2 weeks out. Could have saved maybe 25% if we had a month or more time horizon. The cheaper Spriter-based units are extremely popular, yet not very common on the rental marketplace.

We could also have saved 25% if we rented the more common class C RV based on the Ford E350/450 chasis (think big rental shops like Cruise America) instead of the diesel Benz Sprinter. These RV's tend to be much wider, and I wanted something that would be as easy to drive as possible. Plus, none of this stuff is cheap, so I decided to Blow Dough and go 'luxe.

Speaking of Cruise America, we did check out their units. They are wide (2 feet wider than Sprinter units), basic (no cool slide outs), terrible mattress, beat up, and dirty. Not a deluxe experience by any means. Would have been 30% cheaper than what I'm paying. Still, the unit we were showed FELT like a feabag motel. Maybe it was a recent return that hadn't been cleaned. Outside looked great, but inside was Yuck! Cruise America does have nice beginners videos on their site though.

Picking up my unit tomorrow, loading up, then hitting the road!

After being sort of in your shoes back on January, I would suggest this:
Park the RV, hook it up, and live in it for a few days. Don’t worry about packing much. Anytime you need something, go into the house, get it, use it and leave in the RV. Eat, sleep, shave, dress, do it all. What ever you need, go into the house and bring it out and use it, and leave in the RV. Prepare your meals, need stuff, you know the drill.
Want a camp fire, same drill, anything you use, leave it in the RV.
It will be the best time of your life. We just returned from our Maiden Voyage of 73 days and can’t wait to do it again.
Enjoy.

Thanks for posting this, FreeBear. I enjoyed reading about your experience and the trip.

Back
Top Bottom