If I still had the FIRE Clock...

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
...which I stopped maintaining a few months ago because I was tired of seeing it go in reverse, it would have just moved up about 10 minutes today.

No, the fiery place below didn't freeze.

My better half got a job today -- with the local school district as a teacher's aide. The pay is pretty crummy, but the security and benefits (in case I lose mine) will be nice. We still need to see the final details of the offer and the specific benefits info, though. And it would be a nice foot in the door if she decides to do something crazy like get a teaching certificate.

Now the hard part comes in deciding which deferred home projects will take priority, and where we want to go for vacation before she starts in August. I promised her I'd release some of the nuclear-powered emergency fund when this happened, and so I shall.

It's technically not a 100% done deal yet because it has to be signed off by the superintendent and stuff (since he'd have "veto power" over a new hire), but we think that's almost a sure thing.

It looks like my wife will be picking up some part time work for 4 to 6 weeks in July/August from her old school district. Whatever will I do with all that free time:whistle:

Maybe I'll get on the internet. Lots of other projects to do around the house too. Maybe I'll get more time to kayak!

(yakers = kayaker)

Congratulations to your DW, Ziggy!!! :clap::dance:

You DO realize that when she starts working, the gentlemanly thing to do would be to start doing more around the house. So don't feel too thrilled, because (being the gentleman that we know you are) this will add to your daily work load, sort of like moonlighting.

But really, I am really glad for her (and for you, and for your marriage) that she is back in the workforce! Jobs are scarce these days, and she will be getting valuable experience which may be worth more $$ in the long run than her starting pay.

Didn't someone tell you that there are only about 10 more days of school left until Aug-Sept? If I was the superintendent, I would not sign off on the hire until August.

Didn't someone tell you that there are only about 10 more days of school left until Aug-Sept? If I was the superintendent, I would not sign off on the hire until August.
Can someone help me, please? I'm being smothered by a wet blanket and I'm having trouble getting it off of me...

And that horrible commute she'll have -- about five minutes on foot...

Texas translation? to start, that would be: out at 4 a.m., uphill, in a blizzard or gully washer, encountering 28 different species of critters, two gunfights along the way while dodging beer cans flying out of car windows, arrive at 8:15 a.m. to clean up and change clothes....

Oh, and by the way, that's not really an option these days, since employment with a public school requires fingerprinting and a background check that can take a month or two. They need to hire into the position early enough to make sure the check is completed before the new hire starts work.

Teacher's aides here in Browns country get a starting pay of $12.65 an hour and full benefits provided they work 6+ hours. Congrats to Ziggy and Wife!

That's great Ziggy! My DW has been working as an aide for 10 years and I can't think of a better job for her to have at this stage of our lives. She gets summers off and is able to take time off during the school year by giving several weeks notice so they can line up a substitute. I get a lot of vacation time from my job and her unpaid leave time allows us to enjoy our passion for travel.

Can someone help me, please? I'm being smothered by a wet blanket and I'm having trouble getting it off of me...
Here ya go....an "all occasion" whip.......
sFi_bullwhip.gif

Back
Top Bottom