Incompetent worker problem

The state is taking the Crosswinds Roller Coaster incident seriously. I wonder if the new support column will have any design improvements with regard to the diagonal brace. :( https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-ca...crack-roller-coaster-was-visible-days-closing

The only thing I can figure is the coaster must be "over-built" for that much damage not to cause a terrible accident. How fortunate a lot of people were that it was detected before an incident. I'll bet inspections will increase - a lot.

The only thing I can figure is the coaster must be "over-built" for that much damage not to cause a terrible accident. How fortunate a lot of people were that it was detected before an incident. I'll bet inspections will increase - a lot.

Leave it to the internet pundits to analyze things. I ran into a discussion by structural engineers that got heavily into "moment arms," "torsion," "tension," and "compression." They were flummoxed that the diagonal support was in tension and not compression.

To that I say: stop playing engineer on the internet from 2000 miles away. Ha ha.

As for inspections, you are right. Supposedly drone inspections are to be added as routine. They were not before.

Leave it to the internet pundits to analyze things. I ran into a discussion by structural engineers that got heavily into "moment arms," "torsion," "tension," and "compression." They were flummoxed that the diagonal support was in tension and not compression.

To that I say: stop playing engineer on the internet from 2000 miles away. Ha ha.

As for inspections, you are right. Supposedly drone inspections are to be added as routine. They were not before.

I think the drone inspection is a good idea, but occasionally, I'd want some human up there looking at the length of those uprights (and everything else.) Talk about dodging a bullet.

Hey, how about those people stuck upside down on a coaster and needing to be rescued? https://www.npr.org/2023/07/05/1186003765/roller-coaster-upside-down-wisconsin-fireball

Can you imagine the folks coming down, one by one and the park's lawyers are standing there with a release saying "Sign here, and you get a lifetime's supply of tickets to the park." Uh, no thank you.

Last edited:

Those engineers may be onto something. After the KMG Fireball/Afterburner accident at the Ohio State Fair the company redesigned the equipment.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to facilitate reporting of consumer concerns to regulators?

Back
Top Bottom