Incompetent worker problem

whenever im feeling down about incompetent workers, I just go thru the local Chic-fil-a drive through and all becomes right in the world.

Does chic-fil-a have a magical pool to draw workers from? <sarcasm>

If I had a teen I’d hope they would work for an employer like chic-fil-a as a first time job. So many young workers get ruined by their early experiences.

If I had a teen I’d hope they would work for an employer like chic-fil-a as a first time job. So many young workers get ruined by their early experiences.

I think they just train their people well and monitor them as well. I almost feel like I'm in one of those "clone worlds" when I go. Everyone is devoted to pleasing customers. What a concept!

I think they just train their people well and monitor them as well. I almost feel like I'm in one of those "clone worlds" when I go. Everyone is devoted to pleasing customers. What a concept!

It seems to me that they also hire a good amount of people. I just don’t see a situation there where a few people are running around frantically trying to keep their head above water.

Raising Cane's chicken which was started in Baton Rouge also has very polite and pleasant workers. Interesting story about how the guy got started.

I always have good service at MOD Pizza. They have a really, really interesting story.

In short: they make a point to employ people needing another chance and these people try hard.

We went to Lowe's on Tuesday and bought a new washer and dryer. They came to deliver them today only to take the washer off the truck, open the undamaged box, and find that the washer itself had the side bashed in which means that's how it went into the box. That shouldn't happen obviously. Somebody was just going through the motions at the factory and couldn't have cared less about the quality of the product they were shipping out. Even worse, this wasn't the first time this has happened to us. We had the exact same experience - twice - when we bought a freezer after we were first married, so 1992. First one came damaged. Sent it back. Second one came similarly damaged. This isn't a new problem.
I've seen this too. Some large companies hire contractors to work in the factories. Contractors could care a less about loyalty. They have zero skin in the game. They are just there to get a paycheck at the end of the week.

Yes they do. The Chick-Fil-A by me hires young folks who are involved in their local church.
Very well mannered and represent the brand very well. They are hard working and try their best to get every single order right.

It seems to me that they also hire a good amount of people. I just don’t see a situation there where a few people are running around frantically trying to keep their head above water.

That's a good point. I recall thinking that they had a lot of people who seemed almost exclusively placed to fix anything wrong or meet customer's needs within the restaurant. Again, what an idea!

Related to competence, I have encountered a lot of 'attitude' from hospital staff and 'skilled nursing' staff in NJ. They act bothered if I ask any questions about a patient, and they usually do not know the answer anyway. Staff does not make anything easy for a caregiver relative. You really have to be aggressive to get any answers. I did get hold of a social worker and got some answers, but you have to leave a message and hope they call back. No one told me who the caseworker was, or a phone number for him/her. No one tells you there even is a caseworker. I had to call the general number and they told me the number.

Incompetent broker example today:

I ask:
"CNLPL usually pays a $0.81 dividend on July 1st. The dividend was declared, and the stock went ex, but I see no payment."

They answer:

"I am not finding that you own CNPL in any of your accounts. Do you perhaps own CNPL at another firm?"

I've seen this too. Some large companies hire contractors to work in the factories. Contractors could care a less about loyalty. They have zero skin in the game. They are just there to get a paycheck at the end of the week.

We had some amazing contractors w*rking with us at Megacorp. I always felt sorry for them when we sent them packing (contractors were expendable!) Many of our contractors w*rked harder than we did at 1/3 the cost to megacorp. Since they were otherwise unempl*yed, they w*rked hard to keep their j*bs. There were exceptions, and in their contract, we could send them off when ever we were dissatisfied.

Even my 32 year old daughter has complained about incompetent workers. On the other hand, few people are going to outwork her. So she is starting out with lofty ambitions for others. And they aren't meeting it :LOL:

In my current position, I have found it to be nearly universally true that the most competent workers don't hang around long. They are all in the process of advancing their education. They work in this position for a couple of years while in school for additional training that allows them to move up the career ladder.

The workers who stay around the longest are the ones without any drive or aptitude to better themselves or do more with their lives.

With rare exception, the latter group isn't nearly as good as the former group.

WaPo story on employees & broken roller coaster

This is unbelievable (if you can access the article watch the brief video):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/07/03/carowinds-fury-roller-coaster-crack/

The summary

- a customer at an amusement park in Charlotte notices
that the park's star attraction roller coaster has a support pillar that
has become severed and the two parts are bouncing every time
a train passes

- the customer took a video which is "has to be seen to be believed" level
terrifying

- the customer flags down every employee he can find - all of whom
blow him off

- the customer finds the "office" of the park on site and the lady there
just "walks away" from him

- customer goes home where he tries phoning the park - all he gets is
automated response

- customer is a volunteer fire fighter and gets the idea of calling the
fire dept.

- fire dept guy has a special number for park security and he is able to
phone someone who finally takes it seriously

- 10 minutes later ride is shut down - it is still closed waiting for
repairs

*We are doomed!*

Last edited:
oK I'll say this out loud.

An awful lot of employers got a hell of a lot of money from the PPP program and put it in their pockets. Paid their employees who kept on working just the same, and kept the money.

I know farmers who didn't have employees at all that got $20,800 (each, husband and wife) from PPP loans that they don't have to pay back that are now bit!!ch!ing because NOBODY WANTS TO WORK for $10 an hour pulling their weeds.

PPP was a disaster. It spoiled employers and drove up the living wage for workers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/07/03/carowinds-fury-roller-coaster-crack/

The summary

a train passes .....

terrifying

Wow, I couldn't access the video there but it is also here

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2023/...-roller-coaster-crack-support-beam-nr-vpx.cnn

Related to competence, I have encountered a lot of 'attitude' from hospital staff and 'skilled nursing' staff in NJ. They act bothered if I ask any questions about a patient, and they usually do not know the answer anyway. Staff does not make anything easy for a caregiver relative. You really have to be aggressive to get any answers. I did get hold of a social worker and got some answers, but you have to leave a message and hope they call back. No one told me who the caseworker was, or a phone number for him/her. No one tells you there even is a caseworker. I had to call the general number and they told me the number.

I took my mother to the ER two weeks ago Sunday. Turns out she has Acute aleukemea.

First group of Doctors comes in at 8 am and says "we have super chemo pills that will keep you alive years !!! No side effects at all! (mom is 92).

Next group of Doctors came in around 10 am and said "We need to we sit down..... you have 3 months to live" "put her in hospice and forget the pills".

Third group of Doctors come in at noon and talk about getting ready to die. "Its soon." (Acute Lymph Leukemia)

Fourth group of Doctors come in around supper time and says "Hello Be!!Y I'm your Doctor....looks at her chart and asks....Why are you here?" They didn't know if she even had a cold.....

Next morning it starts all over. Day 10 starting tomorrow. I'm tired of it.... Any suggestions ?

This is the largest regional hospital in 300 miles.

By the way. My Mom is 92 and said she's ready to go. I think its a contest for the cancer Doctor to keep her alive until after the normal range for her age and date of prognosis.

Sorry for the rant...didn't mean to hijack the post.

The summary

a train passes

terrifying

- the customer flags down every employee he can find - all of whom
blow him off

- the customer finds the "office" of the park on site and the lady there
just "walks away" from him

- customer goes home where he tries phoning the park - all he gets is
automated response

- customer is a volunteer fire fighter and gets the idea of calling the
fire dept.

- fire dept guy has a special number for park security and he is able to
phone someone who finally takes it seriously

- 10 minutes later ride is shut down - it is still closed waiting for
repairs

*We are doomed!*

I don't know. As I was reading I was thinking:

Who are these employees? Most likely ---- They are not knowledgeable or involved in the machinery. They just push a broom, take people tickets, tell you where the bathroom is or where to get something to drink. They don't know any more about the hardware than the customers do.

The person from customer service? Again. Likely a shill who fills out paperwork. Might know someone to call in a case like this but cannot effect anything themselves.

Was this really as dangerous as the guy thought and the article wants to make it sound? Is he an engineer? Does he have a background in carnival rides? I suspect, that while the crack situation did require a repair it wasn't an immanent disaster. There are probably 3 or 4 backups systems that prevent bad stuff from happening in a case like this. These things after all cost a ton of money and look bad when a car full of people goes flying into a crowd on the ground.

It probably would have been noticed by the appropriate "inspectors" soon enough and maintained as per normal maint schedule.

The worst was everybody's deportment! Why didn't they explain nicely to the guy, "Hey Mr I just push the broom or whatnot. I wouldn't even know who to call." And the twit customer service jerkwad could have said "Thank you I'll take this up with job control" instead of just walking away. Even if she was just giving him the brush.

In my current position, I have found it to be nearly universally true that the most competent workers don't hang around long. They are all in the process of advancing their education. They work in this position for a couple of years while in school for additional training that allows them to move up the career ladder.

The workers who stay around the longest are the ones without any drive or aptitude to better themselves or do more with their lives.

With rare exception, the latter group isn't nearly as good as the former group.

I'm sure you're right in some areas and situations. When we hired contractors for our lab, we had gobs of people to choose form who were: Women putting husband through university in town. People who had lost their j*bs in similar labs (blood labs, start up companies during a turn-down) new graduates of a certain age (primarily women who were divorced, had a family in school and a mortgage.) Women reentering the w*rk force with kids in college.

Honestly, we just did NOT get bad contractors. I'm sure our hiring folks did a good j*b, but we really got the cream. Now, in the production facilities, I don't think they went with contractors because it was too dangerous and too "important" to screw it up. YMMV

Last edited:
I am an active eBay seller. They just announced the next eBay Open which is a conference they do to help educate and connect sellers. The FAQ said repeatedly that the event will be on Monday September 26. That’s great, except September 26 is a Tuesday.

I emailed them and got a quick reply saying, “Thank you for catching that. We’ll get it updated soon.“

Why did nobody at eBay preparing this announcement catch it? It never should have made it to general release so that I could find the mistake. It’s not like eBay is a rinky dink operation. They made $10 billion last year. They can afford a proofreader.

*We are doomed!*

I saw this on an engineering group, with this comment.

"I'd like to know if that is some nice computer aided design of that area?
The post behind it is the same design. That design failed its test, it is due for a complete redesign.
Shows why the support should be at that top area and in compression, meaning the opposite side for that diagonal brace.
It looks like the brace upper weld is the point of the stress riser."

i.e. if you look at the track, when the coaster comes by that joint is stretched, it should be built so the joint is in compression.
At least it was caught before, possibly many got hurt.

Attachments

• rrr.jpg
    rrr.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 28
oK I'll say this out loud.

An awful lot of employers got a hell of a lot of money from the PPP program and put it in their pockets. Paid their employees who kept on working just the same, and kept the money.

I know farmers who didn't have employees at all that got $20,800 (each, husband and wife) from PPP loans that they don't have to pay back that are now bit!!ch!ing because NOBODY WANTS TO WORK for $10 an hour pulling their weeds.

PPP was a disaster. It spoiled employers and drove up the living wage for workers.

PPP saved the nonprofit I'm on the board for. It is a hospitality based business (summer youth camp) and had 2 years of near zero income. We laid off nobody. We spent way more than what PPP provided, and now teeter on insolvency. We'd be gone already if it were not for PPP.

By the way. My Mom is 92 and said she's ready to go. I think its a contest for the cancer Doctor to keep her alive until after the normal range for her age and date of prognosis.

Sorry for the rant...didn't mean to hijack the post.

Sorry about your Mom, but I understand being ready to go at that age and not wanting to try treatments that might let her live 6 months longer but have a 100% chance of making those 6 months miserable.

Still, it's also an example of poor work. Why don't they have ONE team assigned to her delivering a consistent message of "This is the diagnosis, these are your options, here are the pluses and minuses". And you can bet she got billed for every visit, including the "What are you in for?" one.

The summary

a train passes

"

As a former insurance person that scared the crap out of me and I don't even ride roller coasters. And it was NEW and falling apart! The long list of people the park visitor tried to inform who could do nothing is also a symptom of the current work environment- no one is empowered. If your job is to clean up trash you have zero incentive to stop doing what you're doing and find someone who can address the problem- you might even get disciplined for leaving your work. You probably also have no idea how to get hold of someone who can do something because you're too low on the food chain. I'm glad the visitor persisted.

Last edited:
PPP saved the nonprofit I'm on the board for. It is a hospitality based business (summer youth camp) and had 2 years of near zero income. We laid off nobody. We spent way more than what PPP provided, and now teeter on insolvency. We'd be gone already if it were not for PPP.

This is exactly what PPP was designed for. I was on a non profit board that helped veterans and we would have went broke too. The beef I have is the employers who had no employees (farmers) and received $20,800 a piece even though they had no employees. A lot of other businesses kept going at full speed and got the money on top of it. Cost taxpayers (our children) a lot.

Lots of employers made millions letting the government (us) pay their employers while they worked for the for free. I wish the employees could have gotten it instead.

Back
Top Bottom