Injured Tailbone

Corporate ORphan

Recycles dryer sheets
I missed a chair a couple of weeks ago and either bruised or broke my tailbone. We have a HD plan plus I hate going to the doctor so I researched it online. Doesn't look like there is any treatment for either one. Just have to wait it out.

Didn't really bother me much after the first day or two until I went to my pilates class yesterday. I now know I shouldn't do certain exercises.

Next week I have a check up with a new dr that I scheduled 3 months ago. If she suggests an Xray, does anyone know if it is worth the cost? I also don't want the "free" check up to change into a visit due to an issue.

Anyone have experience with this type of injury?

Thanks!

Gal I w*rked with broke hers. Seems like they gave her one of those inflatable donuts to sit on. Maybe some pain meds.

Even a bruise is painful and takes a long time to get feeling better.

I'm no DR. so take free non professional advice for what it's worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
I busted my a$$ at w*rk for years and it never hurt me.

Haha funny joke above.

I fell off a step stool and bruised/broke my tailbone years ago. A cushion helped a lot. It took a few months to not hurt when sitting in a regular chair. Buy a cushion. Try some out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

On my first, and only, skydiving landing I hurt my tailbone. It hurt for over a month. I was 31yo. If you are older it will take even longer to heal. Push back the appointment if it costs too much.

My dad had this happen. After a year of sitting on a doughnut he had it removed. (no more tail waggin for him!)

I missed a chair a couple of weeks ago and either bruised or broke my tailbone. We have a HD plan plus I hate going to the doctor so I researched it online. Doesn't look like there is any treatment for either one. Just have to wait it out.

Didn't really bother me much after the first day or two until I went to my pilates class yesterday. I now know I shouldn't do certain exercises.

Next week I have a check up with a new dr that I scheduled 3 months ago. If she suggests an Xray, does anyone know if it is worth the cost? I also don't want the "free" check up to change into a visit due to an issue.

Anyone have experience with this type of injury?

Thanks!

If she suggests an Xray, I think you should ask her whether or not the results of the Xray would affect treatment of the injury. I'd decline to have it done unless the results could make a difference.

I injured my tailbone about 9 years ago, and it hurt several orders of magnitude more than what you are describing. I could not even sit for more than a few minutes if that, and I was miserable. It took many months to heal. On the recommendation of my doctor shortly after I injured it, I had an Xray done but it wasn't broken. Later I wondered why on earth an Xray was suggested because I'm not sure what if anything can be done about a fractured tailbone that wouldn't be done for a painful, injured tailbone that wasn't fractured. (Bear in mind that I am not a doctor.)

Last edited:
Wow, I guess I broke mine or bruised it, or whatever. Never had it looked at hurt like hell for a long time was careful to use a pillow to sit upon and now 30 years later, no pain at all�� . I think it hurt for a cuppla mos.

I hurt mine years ago (I think it was falling during in-line skating). I sit on cushions with a cut out on the base of the spine and that helps. I cannot remember where I bought them. I have several to put on the all the chairs I use. I do not think it will go away, for me anyway.

I took a fall playing tennis in November and saw stars! Hurt like heck for two weeks and is slowly subsiding but still have some discomfort if I sit too long or ride a bicycle. My research shows six weeks to six months to recover. X-ray? I wouldn't waste the time or money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom