Input wanted: chapped hands

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been washing so much that my hands are exceptionally dry and cracked. Tried everything except not washing. Has anyone found a good lotion that helps over washed skin?

Bag Balm has always been our preferred solution. I've started using something called Surgeon's Skin Secret in the last year or so (spncity recommended it here) and it also seems to work very well.

O'Keefes & Bagbalm are 2 very good ones.

Everyone in the family like O’Keeffe’s Working Hands, and you don’t even have to be actually working for it to work :D. Never tried the Bagbalm. I’ll look for that and try it. Nice thing about Working Hands is that it leaves your hands dry and not greasy feeling.

Another happy O'keefes working hands customer here. Used to use bag balm as well.Both good.
O'keefes has a foot version as well. Tried them both. They seem virtually the same. Both work well.

I've been washing so much that my hands are exceptionally dry and cracked. Tried everything except not washing. Has anyone found a good lotion that helps over washed skin?

Ohh my DW just reminded me about another good one that we used when we had our motorcycle wreck and had bad road rash. Udderly SmOOth,it was really similar to bag balm in that it was soothing to the skin too.
:)

Another happy O'keefes working hands customer here. Used to use bag balm as well.Both good.
O'keefes has a foot version as well. Tried them both. They seem virtually the same. Both work well.

+1 I've used both. Even though Bag Balm is made in my summer backyard, it is a bit greasy so if I'm planning to use my hands after application I use O'Keefe's but if I'm just going to be watching tv or something like that then I will use Bag Balm.

I use plain petroleum jelly because I don't like more chemicals being absorbed into my body than necessary. If you just tap it with one finger and rub it in good, all the way to your wrists, there's no way that's going to feel greasier than a hand lotion. Tapping it with three fingers is the right amount for me.

+1 I've used both. Even though Bag Balm is made in my summer backyard, it is a bit greasy so if I'm planning to use my hands after application I use O'Keefe's but if I'm just going to be watching tv or something like that then I will use Bag Balm.

Forgot that was made in VT. I do agree it is a little more "greasy" and probably why I switched to the O'keefes but the bag balm may be even longer lasting before a reapplication is needed.

We just bought the new O'Keefe's Working Hands™ cream in a tube instead of the little hockey-puck shaped container that the last batch we purchased came in.
Tried it this morning and it seems a little bit greasier but not too bad. The original stuff burned a little on chapped skin but this new stuff didn't burn at all.

Time will tell if it works as well as the original Working Hands™.

I used Working Hands for months to see it made skin WORSE! It's full of drying agents. Use with caution.

A dermatologist recommended Cetaphil years ago and we have been using it ever since. No smell and it works really well.

I just use Gold Bond Ultimate Skin Therapy Cream with Aloe. I use it often. I keep it right by my recliner & computer, so it's convenient for me. Even though I have very dry skin I have had no problems with cracking, bleeding skin due to hand washing.

I admit that our high humidity here helps a lot too; my face was a bleeding mess all the time years ago when I lived in San Diego, and that stopped instantly as soon as I moved to a more humid part of the country.

This Gold Bond cream feels good and smells OK. I also use it on my feet every day, since I wear sandals a lot and want smooth, nice looking feet.

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream is my favorite. It comes in an unscented version.

A word of warning - it is VERY concentrated so start with just a tiny bit and add more if needed.

Lubriderm works well and is not too greasy.
Jergens Extra Healing every morning plus adding a dab of Vaseline at night before bed is what I use.
At work I used Glove n Care lotion--helped protect even after washing--it is available on Amazon I think.
You could also buy a pair of cotton gloves to put-on at night after using lotion toehold the moisture in.
Udderly Good and Bag balm are also my go to's.
I buy whatever is on sale when I need to restock.
The trick is to apply often.

I actually found the soap I use makes a big difference. Covid has lead me to use only Mrs Myers because of the olive oils. My DD uses foaming soap and it's horrible as far as drying out my hands

O'keefe's skin repair works well for me. Initially it does feel greasy but in five minutes that sensation is gone.

I looked up the Bag Balm. I could never switch. Those cute little tins that it comes in are something the hoarder in me has a hard time throwing away. Similar to Altoids. I don't what it is, but I guess I just figure they must be able to be used for something.

That's what we have settled on, after many years. We use the fragrance-free version in the pumper. For winter use here, we have tried many others before. Watery, or greasy, or slimey, one's that didn't work at all, or lasted just a very short time. The Gold Bond is the winner, unlike the others we have tried. Lubriderm was the best we had before, but it wasn't really very good.

For hands that are very dry, I prefer Aquaphor Healing Ointment seen HERE.

It feels a bit greasy at first, but if you continue to massage into your hands it will absorb fairly quickly. Also great for cuticles and nails.

Thank you everyone. I'm using Jergen's Ultra Healing Lotion which normally works but not when I wash CONSTANTLY (which I'll do until the pandemic is under control).

Been having the same problem this year. My hands are abnormally dry with splitting skin (first time ever). I'm constantly putting on lotion, O'Keefe's, throughout the day, but it doesn't help much because I'm washing my hands so much more!!!

I've got about 4-5 new splits and just put out the Neosporin for overnight. This helped tremendously the last time I had so many deep splits.

Back
Top Bottom