Instant Cooker

I will sometimes do rice in a pyrex dish while cooking up my main dish. The call the technique it pot in pot. Reminds me of the old stacked steamer baskets Depends on what your cooking, but more often I'll make up a pot of brown (or white) rice and freeze it in individual servings . There is a learning curve with it, so I always suggest people try inexpensive items firsts, hard boiled eggs, rice, chicken broth.

I have an Instant Pot and a rice cooker with two steamer baskets. The steamer baskets for the rice cooker also fit on the Instant Pot. Plus I have some steamer baskets that fit inside the Instant Pot, so I stack three baskets on the Instant Pot some nights when I'm making different dishes.

Just bought one. I bought 2 at Christmas for my daughter's family and my son's family and they really like them. DH told me that we should get one months ago. Thanks for the showing the deal.

In a saucepan?

It's been nearly 20 years since we cooked rice on the stove and I seem to recall it always ended with a poor result. The rice cooker changed our lives...so easy & foolproof. Not sure I can go back.

There are lot of those IP "cult followers" in my family. SIL just bought a 2nd one.

Another angle: Cruisers and RV'ers love IP's. They're perfect for a quick meal and take up very little space. They won't heat up a small galley like cooking on a stove will. They'll even run off an inverter so you don't need shore power or a generator.

As for rice, I've been making it on the stove since I was a kid. Never once had it come out anything but perfect. It's not much harder than boiling water. Still, the IP does it even easier.

We bought one last Friday at Target for $100 to replace our rice cooker that just died. I was thinking this morning that we over spent and considered taking it back (still in the box), then saw the Amazon offer. Suddenly my schedule changed and I was making a quick trip to Target, where they matched the Amazon price, plus I got 5% for using their credit card.

I'm still wondering if we'll end up buying another rice cooker though. If we cook our main course in the instant pot, where will we cook our rice?

It makes great rice! Some recepies suggested doing rice with the entree.
In a saucepan?
Maybe. I used to.

Today living at 7600' pressure cookers are so much faster and consistent.

Best kitchen appliance I've ever bought. Use multiple times daily. Own 3.

Rice is the easiest thing I do in the kitchen. Measure out rice, wash in strainer and toss in pot. Measure out water, toss in pot. A little salt and butter, bring to boil on high, cover and reduce heat to low.

Pull in 20 to 30. Cooks itself.

I'll confess I bought one almost a year ago and have used it maybe twice. I just enjoy cooking the old fashion way I guess and pots/pans are less of a pain to clean up IMO. I will try some risotto in it though as that is a pain to make and I hear that the IP makes it very good.

It's been nearly 20 years since we cooked rice on the stove and I seem to recall it always ended with a poor result. The rice cooker changed our lives...so easy & foolproof. Not sure I can go back.

I too have had a rice cooker for over 20 years. Recently I have been cooking quinoa in a saucepan (successfully) and wondering if I really needed to haul out the rice cooker every time I wanted some rice. I followed this video from one of my favourite chefs and voila! Perfect fluffy rice.

https://youtu.be/0wHV2h8n5TU

Last edited:
I'll confess I bought one almost a year ago and have used it maybe twice. I just enjoy cooking the old fashion way I guess and pots/pans are less of a pain to clean up IMO. I will try some risotto in it though as that is a pain to make and I hear that the IP makes it very good.

Count me as one who enjoys cooking risotto the old fashioned way. I’m retired. I have time to enjoy the process.

My rice cooker is tiny. It probably takes 1/6 of the space of the Instant Pot, so I am happy to keep it.

I suspect the "can't sear meat" review is operator error. I do it all of the time with the "sauté" function adjusted to "more"

They probably 1) didn't wait for the pot to say "Hot", and 2) put too much meat in at once.

Makes slow-cooked or crock pot meals like pulled pork or chili or various soups into things you can start cooking when you get home from work and serve for dinner that night. All in.

LOVE mine. Bought it on a great deal with no real idea how I would use it. Use it several times a week and it is LIGHTWEIGHT (the inside part) to clean. I bought the 6qt a year or so ago and just got the 8qt during Prime day in July. I love to make Rice, Beans, Meat, Mashed Potatoes, Soup, and Corn on the Cob in it.

I use mine to cook chicken and make a bunch of broth pressured. Then I throw in a big pack of frozen dumplings and season it with poultry seasoning (not pressurized.)

That's some great chicken and dumplings--comfort food.

I use mine to cook chicken and make a bunch of broth pressured. Then I throw in a big pack of frozen dumplings and season it with poultry seasoning (not pressurized.)

That's some great chicken and dumplings--comfort food.

That sounds good too. Sure, not the dumplings Mom used to make (and that took all day) but sure would be good with the upcoming cooler fall temps.

You'll probably appreciate this, Bamaman - I made shredded barbecue chicken in our IP for the first Bama game of the year. Combined it with some vinegar coleslaw, potato salad, and fries ... add in a Bama victory and it was a good day! :LOL:

I steamed artichokes last night. I set the machine for thirteen minutes. Such a time saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I don’t think I would use it more than a couple of times (I make dinner in <30 minutes on a slow day as it is) but there are some mighty good dishes being mentioned on this thread!

I steamed artichokes last night. I set the machine for thirteen minutes. Such a time saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'll try this. The one time I tried my artichokes were too big for the instant pot unless I just did one!

Back
Top Bottom